Electric shavers? Advice please.

Soldato
Always found wet shaving pain, but I've never been satisfied with electric razors, some of those newer expensive models look interesting but its a lot of money to gamble on! The Merkur looks great! I'm tempted to ask Santa! :)

Man of Honour
Anyone considering the Braun series 9, just be aware it's been a complete nightmare getting a replacement 'head' cassette... they had a lot of manufacturing issues, and many places wanted £55+ for one.

Amazon have them on 'out of stock' for just under £40 but they're still hard to find.

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.
I can't take the chance that things will be better in 2 years.

Soldato
Anyone considering the Braun series 9, just be aware it's been a complete nightmare getting a replacement 'head' cassette... they had a lot of manufacturing issues, and many places wanted £55+ for one.

Amazon have them on 'out of stock' for just under £40 but they're still hard to find.
LOL at this reply which is meant to come from Brauns customer service department

Here is another gem from Brauns customer service department:

Thank you for your loyalty to Braun. I’m sorry to hear that you are having a hard time finding a replacement cutter block and foil.
Replacement parts for the Series 9 are not available at this time, and we don’t know if or when they will become available.
I would suggest purchasing a Series 7 instead. I hope this helps.
https://moo.review/series-9-replacement-cutter-and-foil-shortage/

WOW I can't find a replacement head for there lastest 92XX shavers with the gold titanium strip listed anywhere at all ..:eek:

Last edited:
Associate
Okay so I like to keep a beard but use a electric foil shaver to get rid of the hair on the upper cheek area and also the hair on the neck. I also use this shaver to keep beard lines straight and basically well groomed. The electric foil shaver was good as it got a really close shave in those areas and you couldn't tell that hair grows there at all. However, this shaver has recently broke and I was wondering if there is a type of shaver that is made exactly for this use?

I was looking at a Braun series 3 shaver on the Forrest and had it in my basket for a few days. Held off on buying it and it increased in price from £40 to £65 and this was just before Black Friday as well :rolleyes:.

Any suggestions? Don't want to be splashing out a lot of money for a shaver when I don't need it to do the whole face. I currently do have an electric trimmer with precision mode but that does not get a close enough shave on those areas as the old foil shaver did :(.

EDIT: Never done a wet shave before. Could be exactly what I'm looking for?

Last edited:
Soldato
+1 panasonic shavers they have been using linear motors tech w/higher cutting rates and lion batteries 10+ years vs Braun; used es8161 10 years (tried newer es8103 but no better) both close/quiet/fast - can still listen to radio.
Still use an older braun syncro too.
As MrK said it is the cost of the replacement cutters - for all brands will end up paying as much again as the original razer over its lifespan (worse than ink cartridges)

Cleaning stations still seem a gimmick - are they as good as a soak&brush in alcohol once a week and do they dry it out daily - if not wet shaving.

[Regret getting rid of earlier Brauns before I knew how to change the batteries; these had metal heads and much better at keeping cool]

Soldato
I've just bought the series 7 linked on page 1, so will let you know next week some time. :)

Yes please.

Used my new 7 series a couple of times now. It's a definite improvement. It just feels like a better quality unit. Whether the 9 series is better again, I couldn't say but at £120-£150 for 7 series is about as much as I want to spend anyway.

No buyers remorse here!

By the way, I've been using King Of Shaves oil on my second pass and I think it makes for an excellent finish.

• Dry shave first pass
  • Rinse out shaver with warm water
  • Wash face with warm water
  • Dab face with towel to leave the face wet/damp
  • Apply three drops of oil to face
  • Second pass with shaver, rinsing with warm water as I go

A really comfortable and close shave. :cool:

Soldato
But a pair of hair clippers. Live with a grade 1 shave that leaves no irritation and takes 10 seconds to do. I can't understand the obsession of having a close shave when 6 hours later it's back again. And personally I never trust a clean shaven man too windows/car salesman for me.

Associate
Why did you go back to the Panasonic?

Slightly smoother shave on the upper lip , 5 oclock shadow doesnt appear till 3 ish .
Thats it really , tried every top of the range electric shaver.
Philips Sensotouch 3D/Series 9000 , Braun Series 7/9 , Panasonic Arc 4/5 , Remington XR .
Found Rotary shavers are quicker than foil but not as close.
I have an anorexic face (chiseled as i like to call it ) so if your on the chubby side the Philips rotary shavers might be better.
Dont expect wet shave results , i also have dozens of safety razors . Pils,Feather,Merkur etc and can quite happily get a super smooth shave with them without the slightest hint of razor rash or blood, that will last till i go to bed , just i prefer electrics.

Also you do have to persevere with each shaver at least a couple of months , it does take time for your face to get used to the shaver.
I used each of the above for at least a year then chucked them on ebay as apart from the Braun series 7 replacement foil which cost around £25 the rest cost around £50 (dont bother with the cheap chinese clones they are terrible) and i couldnt even find a series 9 replacement foil.

If its your first high end electric shaver then you cant go wrong with the one chaparral linked above , the Braun 790cc-4 for £99 and you will probably get most of your money back in several months if you want to sell it , Panasonics dont hold there money too well probably due to the high cost of foil replacement and the fact that people know Braun are well known for shavers and not Panasonic (even though they have probably been making them longer than Braun).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Very useful info leemk, thanks.

I wasn't considering a new shaver but that Braun 7 series on Amazon Black Friday looks good. I wouldn't touch the 9 series because of the above issues with finding a replacement cartridge. I think the Panasonic that SGF refers to is probably more than I'm willing to pay and the cartridges are quite expensive. So the Braun 7 series seems to be a good price/performance balance.

Would it be a significant upgrade from a Braun 3 series?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Do you have link to the model chart?

I think you're probably right as even Amazon have another slightly more expensive version described as wet and dry. They definitely seem to be confused over this model though as one pic has wet and dry, another doesn't, but then they show it being run under water.

Soldato
Do you have link to the model chart?

I think you're probably right as even Amazon have another slightly more expensive version described as wet and dry. They definitely seem to be confused over this model though as one pic has wet and dry, another doesn't, but then they show it being run under water.

It's on the page you linked to in the post above. I think Amazon have put the wrong product image up.

Eh2f7auh.png.jpg

Soldato
Bic razor? Just the thought of using them makes my skin itch.

I've got a wet/dry foil head shaver and it massively irritates my neck.

Gone for a safety razor now, think it was the recommended starter in the manly shaving thread, and not looked back. Nice shave and blades are so cheap.

Back
Top Bottom