Where To Move House To In The UK?

Associate
Is there any where else we should check? Haven't visited west/south UK yet.

Personally I wanna live somewhere which is touristy and has a university. I feel bad in areas that have an aging population and would like there to be lots of attractive women (gotta get married and all that right?). Low crime and clean houses (somewhere people actually maintain their homes rather than let them rot). Obviously needs to have good employment opportunities and no flooding areas. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Edinburgh.

Little bit of research and you'll see it's one of the best cities in the UK for quality of life, it's super touristy (world's largest arts festival going on for a whole month, for example) and has one of the country's best universities. Crime is low, and employment opportunities are great.

Man of Honour
Get yourself up to OCUK land where 250k will get you a nice 4 bed new build and some change :D

Lots to do, shopping, cinemas, great pubs and restaurants in and around stoke, alton towers, close to manc / brum / liverpool and also 20 minutes away from beautiful countryside.

This of course is the correct answer.

For some reason when people are searching for houses in Stoke one of the OCUK threads comes up featuring me talking about Stoke. Since that thread I've had at least 10 people emailing me about properties and I give my honest opinion. At least 5 of them have bought houses in areas they love and one bloke even visited me and bought me 10 Newcastle Browns. The most recent was about 2 weeks ago when somebody found a 5 bedroomed house for £150,000 but I had to inform them that it was a Muslim area - winner, she said her husband was Muslim but I've heard nothing since. Pretty sure I helped an OCUK member pick an area in Stoke!

A couple of years ago two men came to visit me from a Cycle company in Aldershot to repair my bike - unbelievable service. The owner was from Iran and his chief mechanic was from Romania so they had no pre-conceived ideas about Stoke. When they arrived they commented on what a beautiful area I lived in and asked how much they could buy a semi-detached house like mine for - I told them next door but one was up for £120,000 and they nearly fell over.

Come to Stoke and live like a King.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
I moved from Nottingham to Derby about a year ago, Nottingham is a student city and that is all it is oh and its overun by badly run restaurants for the students.

Sold my badly converted Victorian flat for 3 bed detached with massive garage and garden, fields at the back. 10mins i can be on the Tram into Nottingham one way and 10mins the other i can be in the peak district.

Less busy, cheaper houses, higher wages in Derby (if you are engineer :p ) and better transport links, (main line, less traffic)

Any city has good/bad areas.

What i will say though is Derby Council are absolutely pathetic and should all be on trial.

If i had a choice now, it would be Norwich or Ipswich, out of the way of everyone else in the country and nice seaside (- Yarmouth)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am in Norwich. There is a massive Eastern European community here, especially Polish. Loads of Eastern European foods and supermarkets too. So I think your mum wouldn't have a problem.

The thing about Norwich is that is pleasant, and easy, but that it. It also adds 2 hours onto every round trip you make. I'd argue it's is nicer than Cambridge though, and definitely warmer. Also has a slightly larger population a little less traffic chaos.

You say that it is pleasant and easy but that's it? Like there is a conclusion of negatives to that sentence?

We are going Norwich again tomorrow, are there any specific good places to visit? Is it busy and full of students on a week day? What about night life? Last time we went on Sunday. Are there lots of young people? Someone told me it's a place for old people. Can a good detached 3 bed house with garage be had for 250k?

Associate
OP
Glasgow, cheap, nice areas and good (!) ancient university

What do you do for work OP?

So Nottingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh and Glasgow to visit still.

I do electrical work but we want to rent the house we live in to a family (or students) which will give an income of around £1300-1600 on top of regular job.

The 250k is savings + mortgage, not include the value of our current property.

If we sell the house we can just about afford a nice place in Herts, but something tells me thats a stupid idea.

Caporegime
I'm sorry but this is a joke right?

So your mother moved to the England to live, but she doesn't want to live somewhere considered to be "English in style".

Why doesn't she move back to her native country that isn't English, if she dislikes the English so much?

That is a bit strong.

Soldato
Edinburgh, as others have said.

It won't get you a massive 5 bed house unless your right out of the city obviously, but prices here are on the up big time so prob as good a time as any to get in. Excellent city, lots to offer etc etc.

I love it up here :)

Man of Honour
lol this guy! Bristol has the fastest growing house prices in the country, even crap areas like Easton are gaining 30% a year (yes really). 250k will get you a 2 bed terrace on the outskirts.

Its a bit more complex than that :S they've improved the transport links in the surrounding area into Bristol/Bath with a knock on effect of house prices in those areas near the links going up at twice the national average :( but also if you go out a bit more the prices fall off quite rapidly a few more miles 250K will go from getting you a 2 bed terrace to a 3 bed new build on the edge of some of the market towns surrounding Bristol/Bath - though even they are shooting up in price.

Soldato
Its a bit more complex than that :S they've improved the transport links in the surrounding area into Bristol/Bath with a knock on effect of house prices in those areas near the links going up at twice the national average :( but also if you go out a bit more the prices fall off quite rapidly a few more miles 250K will go from getting you a 2 bed terrace to a 3 bed new build on the edge of some of the market towns surrounding Bristol/Bath - though even they are shooting up in price.

My favourite is the new development in Keynsham, literally the subject of the email 'New Starter homes for First Time Buyers, from £340,000!'. Cooooooooool.

Caporegime
SE is so crazy. My mum has an interest free mortgage. Not a penny of the capital has been paid off but she could still sell up now and buy a nice little 3 bed in Nottingham outright with the equity! God knows where it'll be in 12 years when it's up.

Soldato
But the British are the same when moving abroad, to the extent that they move to 'Little Britain' enclaves in their destination country, or an area known to be popular with expats.

Caporegime
But the British are the same when moving abroad, to the extent that they move to 'Little Britain' enclaves in their destination country, or an area known to be popular with expats.

It's different. When brits want to move to Spain, they are mainly looking for beach resorts with bars, restaurants and a general holiday feel. It's natural there will be mainly expats here. It's nothing to do with not wanting to be around Spaniards.

Back
Top Bottom