Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Associate
Ok so I bought a Samsung KS7000 and that had a damaged coating on the panel. I replaced it with a KS8000 that has a gap between the panel and the bezel so the backlight shines through :(

I'm going to take it back to the shop so I'm now looking at one of these. The only concern I have is about image retention and the brightness of the screen in HDR content. Can anyone that owns one let me know if either of these are an issue with this set or are you all happy with your purchase?

Thanks.

Caporegime
I was concerned a bit about image retention but haven't had any issues with it

And if it does happen, it's apparently only for 15 mins or so, not perminent like older plasmas suffered with.

Caporegime
Supposedly the image retention is vastly improved on the 2016 models to the point where it is more or less a non-issue now (unless you are someone that keeps news channels on 24/7...)

As for brightness, I see some people saying that the panels still need to be brighter for HDR but personally I don't see the issue as they are already more than bright enough for normal viewing conditions

Soldato
Supposedly the image retention is vastly improved on the 2016 models to the point where it is more or less a non-issue now (unless you are someone that keeps news channels on 24/7...)

As for brightness, I see some people saying that the panels still need to be brighter for HDR but personally I don't see the issue as they are already more than bright enough for normal viewing conditions

Indeed.

In HDR my 65" B6 hurts my eyes. I certainly could not handle it any brighter.

Associate
OP
Enjoy, it will blow you away the first few hours that you watch it. I'd definitely recommend using the AV forums review as a starting point for fine tuning the picture settings. Also, this is a great selection of Dolby Vision and HDR10 demo content: https://mega.nz/#F!aBAGBJBb!vGOiLiLo9HT7fBA1qww3-Q
In order for these to work, after you complete the download, you must go into the file properties, and change the file name from .lge to .mkv, files won't work without doing this.

Associate
Enjoy, it will blow you away the first few hours that you watch it. I'd definitely recommend using the AV forums review as a starting point for fine tuning the picture settings. Also, this is a great selection of Dolby Vision and HDR10 demo content: https://mega.nz/#F!aBAGBJBb!vGOiLiLo9HT7fBA1qww3-Q
In order for these to work, after you complete the download, you must go into the file properties, and change the file name from .lge to .mkv, files won't work without doing this.

Do I put tbis on a USB ?

Soldato
Out of interest does anyone else's 'My Content' section show anything other then Wuaki.tv.

Ive searched for ages trying to figure this out. When I try to add content it only lets me add stuff from Wuaki. I woudnt even mind but I dont have that app installed.

How can I get it to show content from Netflix, Amazon etc?

Associate
HDR game mode for B6 just go released, might be for US only tho. For those with B6, can you check please?

SW File(Version 04.30.77) for OLED*5B6P-U,**UH7500-UA,**UH7700-UB,70UH6350-UB
Software_File(Version_04.30.77).zip 860024K 01/04/2017
TV_Software_Update_Guide_v3.pdf 1938K 01/04/2017
Reference
Detailed applicable model list : Please check with reference Tab exactly
* SW information

1. Improvement
1) Apply the HDR Game mode.

2. Applicable model list
OLED55B6P-U
OLED65B6P-U
55UH7500-UA
60UH7500-UA
65UH7500-UA
55UH7700-UB
60UH7700-UB
65UH7700-UB
70UH6350-UB

3. Release History
[03.10.19]
1. To apply Netflix promotion
2. To improve 'No signal' problem happening upon HDCP 2.2 certification
3. To improve HDR performance with 4K Blu-Ray player connection

[03.15.07]
1. Apply to Dolby HDR for VUDU
2. Apply to HDR PQ for Amazon

[03.15.25]
1.Improve Dolby HDR Pop-up issue

[04.30.40]
1. Improve that motion remote controller doesn’t work after blue-tooth initialization pop-up.
2. Improve the lip-sync issue in RF DTV.

[04.30.65]
1. Improve the Sony PS4 Pro no signal issue (HDCP fail)

[04.30.77]
1. Apply the HDR Game mode.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that update i cant test as i have no idea how to manually update the firmware and thats the only way you can update this with this firmware, as this firmware will not be getting pushed with auto upddate....

so if anyone tries it, it will need to be done manually via usb drive..... again i have no idea how to do it to be able to try it lol

Soldato
I'd definitely recommend using the AV forums review as a starting point for fine tuning the picture settings.

Still need to get round to doing this, is it still worth getting it professionally calibrated if you can afford it? As I think even av forums say that the settings they use might not give you the best results but they got decent results for their setup.

Caporegime
HDR game mode for B6 just go released, might be for US only tho. For those with B6, can you check please?

Thats most certainly the US version and will need to be updated via USB

If you have a UK set I would strongly suggest holding off until the UK version is released. We tend to get it 2 weeks later.

Soldato
Still need to get round to doing this, is it still worth getting it professionally calibrated if you can afford it? As I think even av forums say that the settings they use might not give you the best results but they got decent results for their setup.

It is a good starting point, I used them for mine and then tweaked the basic colour/brightness afterwards. Huge improvement.

Mine is being calibrated next Tuesday.

Associate
OP
It is a good starting point, I used them for mine and then tweaked the basic colour/brightness afterwards. Huge improvement.

Mine is being calibrated next Tuesday.

Out of interest what did you use to help calibrate the picture? I've got mine set as per the AVForums review but am concerned that I'm not getting the absolute most of the TV. I tend to exclusively use Dark Room and Bright Room. Obviously HDR and DV setting is used where applicable. I am thinking of getting it professionally calibrated but that won't be for at least a few months.

Back
Top Bottom