Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Soldato
is there a good description of how the professionals do it now ?
since if you can make the adjustements on the tv via an IR sender, or electronically, the
loop as you determine change to picture output as the greyscale/cms etc are tweaked, and optimise them, can be very quick - negligible human interaction needed.

Soldato
It is still manual. Spectrometer and colorimeter...test patterns etc.

Perhaps some TVs can be plugged in to a computer and it all be automated. But I doubt it. And you still need to have the something looking at the screen to read the light and colour.

Some TV don't calibrate well with 100% patterns or full constrast either. A good calibrator would use a mixture to see which one is falling inline better.

None of this in my mind takes 90mins. Not for a ISF or THX certified one at any rate.

What did the guy do? Did you watch?

Soldato
As I understand it, Vincent is very familiar with these TVs

Yes , very. I did actually email him back recently to say thanks and how happy I was with the picture now. I did mention that I thought it would take longer. Have gave what I believe to be very valid reasons.

1) I use the fastest meter on the market, the Klein K10-A;
2) I have spent ample time with your OLED model when I was reviewing it, and so know the menus inside and out, and I know what works and what doesn't, so I don't have to fumble and waste time when I'm on your property;
3) I have calibrated hundreds of these sets... you saw how fast I was whizzing in and out the menus;
4) I have developed a highly efficient, OLED-specific calibration workflow in the CalMAN software.

I felt kind of crappy for asking really, the picture is stunning now and the error rate is nigh on perfect. I have zero complaints with the outcome. I guess some are just quicker than others

Soldato
Interesting, so on point 3, does not appear to use a harmony remote say with pre-programmed macros.
(a self calibration option plugging the spectrometer directly into usb on tv - definite kick-starter there)

devils advocate - With single LG source on the oled panels where does the variabiliy of out of the box colour rendering come from that necessitates individual calibration ?
I am not convinced folks viewing environments are so diverse (2.7K bulbs typically in living room or sunlight / black-out) and electronic components must have a tight spec to ensure long term reliability.

Soldato
Yes , very. I did actually email him back recently to say thanks and how happy I was with the picture now. I did mention that I thought it would take longer. Have gave what I believe to be very valid reasons.

2) I have spent ample time with your OLED model when I was reviewing it, and so know the menus inside and out, and I know what works and what doesn't, so I don't have to fumble and waste time when I'm on your property;
3) I have calibrated hundreds of these sets... you saw how fast I was whizzing in and out the menus;
4) I have developed a highly efficient, OLED-specific calibration workflow in the CalMAN software.

I felt kind of crappy for asking really, the picture is stunning now and the error rate is nigh on perfect. I have zero complaints with the outcome. I guess some are just quicker than others

Then fair enough.

Don't feel crappy.. you paid good money. He answered well...so I'm sure he was in no way offended.

Its a fellava hourly rate...but I guess he has to travel.

Associate
OP

I've sent a message to him, I doubt he covers Southampton but worth a shot. I'm curious to see what settings he has yours set to, if you're happy to share them, please could you email them to my trust account. I'm curious to see the difference from the AVForums settings.

Soldato
The klien is a serious bit of kit.

I do my calibrations with an i1 display pro and hcfr!

I think its one of those things...the last 20% of accuracy costs you a whole lote more! 6k in this case.

Soldato
the i1 pro's apparently have an accuracy < 3 dE-2000, which is coincidentally the threshold where hdtvtest say not appreciable to the eye.
(that is when sensor is new anyway)

Plus I read somewhere that for the average brightness level mechanism of oled, you need to wait before measuring the colour, so measurement speed is not essential ... but i guess the Klein would take multiple measures

Soldato
the i1 pro's apparently have an accuracy < 3 dE-2000, which is coincidentally the threshold where hdtvtest say not appreciable to the eye.
(that is when sensor is new anyway)

Plus I read somewhere that for the average brightness level mechanism of oled, you need to wait before measuring the colour, so measurement speed is not essential ... but i guess the Klein would take multiple measures

I think that article was actually the one the convinced me to buy one and learn to do it mysefl.

I was happy to learn the process aand details...but only if I knew the hardware I was prepared to afford was up to the job.

Soldato
dont know about you guys, but sheezus christ this lag/gaming hdr mode firmware is taking its god dam time to release.....

LG are slow as hell at doing anything.

Associate
Can someone explain this HDR Gamemode. I mean when I put the TV ongame mode and I play let's stay uncharted it detects HDR. So I don't understand this.

Caporegime
There is an upcoming Firmware update, already available and tested in the U.S that will add a 'Game' mode whenever HDR content is detected.

This brings the input lag down from near 70ms (really noticeable) to 28ms (undetectable) whilst playing HDR enabled games.

I have Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian all waiting and ready.

Back
Top Bottom