Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Associate
OP
It's everyone's first smart tv and we're quite pleased with it.
It's not as smooth as the B6 instore but for the price, it's decent.
Picture quality is great after using the setings someone posted on AVF.
Menu is great to navigate through, just gotta get used to the layout, very minimal lag.

For £420, we're all impressed.

Nice, good to see that you can get a decent TV for a dirt cheap price. A lot of people will turn their noses up at it because it's not a Sony/Panasonic/Samsung but these people are best ignored:D. I went from a LG 50PK350 plasma (2010) and was blown away by the smart features almost as much as the picture. Before the B6V we had to fire up the HTPC to watch anything, with a SMART TV, it's so much more convenient. Stick Plex on it and you're good to go.

Soldato
Nice, good to see that you can get a decent TV for a dirt cheap price. A lot of people will turn their noses up at it because it's not a Sony/Panasonic/Samsung but these people are best ignored:D. I went from a LG 50PK350 plasma (2010) and was blown away by the smart features almost as much as the picture. Before the B6V we had to fire up the HTPC to watch anything, with a SMART TV, it's so much more convenient. Stick Plex on it and you're good to go.

Yes! I wasn't expecting OLED quality from the Hisense but for less than 1/3 of the price, it's a great buy for our usage and budget.

The hisense comes with Plex on it.

I'm just deciding now how to best implement a file server/torrent box.

I've a RPi lying around I want to use, as well as another Dell computer.

As of now, I'm thinking of just using the Dell as a headless torrent box/ Plex server to stream from.

And just remoting into it if I need to from my main PC.

Associate
OP
I've got a Plex server (i5 4690K @ 4.2GHz, 250GB EVO 850 SSD, 16GB, 24TB) in my garage, serves up all the media we need. I've got both TVs connected through .ac wireless and running Plex, I've not had problems, even streaming 4K. If you can get something called XPlay or something similar that will play files without transcoding you could get away with a Pi. The only time I have to transcode is if someone is watching over WAN.

Soldato
Hi thanks kidloco,
I would feel rude asking for all your settings after you paid for calibration.
But anything you can share would be really appreciated.
I have just downloaded the revenant in uhd frim sky q.
And even on factory setting the picture is amazing :)
I love my oled tv. :)

Well message in trust if you want them. Really don't mind.

Soldato
So it only took 1hr 30 to calibrate ?seems very quick to me ,when I had my old ZT done it took at least 4 hrs to do ,and most guys over on AVF are saying there OLED,S take around 5/6 hours to do

Yep, he didn't hang about. I was expecting it to take longer as well. I sat and watched, he was flying through it. Bear in mind on B6 you can only calibrate 2 profiles fully (bright and dark) and to a lesser extent HDR. You can see the changes he makes effect the error rate in real-time. Gets errors as close to zero as possible and it was done. Those are then copied to each input at the click of a button.

Maybe other calibrators sit down with a cup of tea, piece of cake and watch a few films afterwards :D

Last edited:
Associate
My tv lags is this a commo issue especially with fast moving image. I played around with Truemotion feature but not working, if I turn it off altogether the image stutters quit, it's
Much smoother using "smooth" or "clear".

Associate
Hello everyone !

Sorry if my english isn'y verry good but it's not my native language :D
So I just received my LG 55b6 and I have a few questions on how to connect it to my PC (I have a gtx 980):
-1 What HDMI port do I use ? I know that the 2 HDMI ports on the side are 2.0a if i'm correct but is it also the case for the 2 HDMI ports on the back ?
-2 I've seen some people using the "edit icon" option in the "all input" menu from "HDMI" to "PC", is this actually usefull ?
-3 and most important: what options do I need to use in the Nvidia control pannel ? i'm actually using the UHD resolution at 60Hz with YCbCr444 but i'm limited at 8bpc and sometimes when I modify this option the panel starts turning on and off once every 5-6sec.

Thanks in advance for your help, i have to admit that i'm a little lost with all these options x]

Caporegime
1 - All HDMI ports are the same (HDMI 2.0a) but one has Audio Return Channel (ARC) for people that want to send sound both ways.
2 - To get true 4:4:4 Chroma I think you have to change the icon to PC.
3 - The best you can get at 4k is 8bit with 4:4:4 Chroma.

On my Nvidia card I just set it to 8bit RGB Full.

If you manually change chroma to 4:2:0 (and apply) then you can set it to 10bit or 12bit but I can't see any difference between them.

Associate
Ok thanks!
Actually I just restarted my PC and now I can only select 4:2:0 limited and 8bpc... I've noticed that I can select RGB full if I turn on the "HDMI ultra hd deep color" option but then my screen randomly turns on and off quite frequently...

Soldato
So it only took 1hr 30 to calibrate ?seems very quick to me ,when I had my old ZT done it took at least 4 hrs to do ,and most guys over on AVF are saying there OLED,S take around 5/6 hours to do

Seems fast to me, the guy that did mine took 5 hours, he was extremely thorough, changed settings and went over them again, got it as accurate as possible. He also setup 2 profiles for me.

Soldato
Seems fast to me, the guy that did mine took 5 hours, he was extremely thorough, changed settings and went over them again, got it as accurate as possible. He also setup 2 profiles for me.

Yeah that seems far to quick.

You have TV calibration with internal sources. Calibration of external devices...

And during calibration I would say a 20pt greyscale would take me 50mins with a spot on ftl, great dE and the desired gamma for the persons day and evening environments..

Then the CMS..which tbh is a bag of **** then needs to be done..that you have to go around at least 3 times on the CMS...

I reckon a fast guy that knows what they are doing could do it in 2hr for a couple of devices and if they knew the TV well.

It just feels too quick. But...well it ain't my profession so.

Back
Top Bottom