*** Official Nioh (PS4) Thread ***

Associate
Has taken me 2 days to beat the boss with the balls and chain, old school sense of satisfaction when i did, very old,

never did get into the souls series, always felt like laggy combat, but this is great, fast and fluid, is bloodborn more like this?

Soldato
Yea I would say so, but this is aiming for 60fps which helps with the speed of combat, unfortunately bloodborne aims for 30. Still a great game but may not feel as fluid side by side

This seems to have a lot of depth, just unlocked my first title and then you can spend points towards even more stats? Going in blind with these games always has me unsure what the right decisions are but I like learning it all as we go!

Soldato
I have tried the spear and quite like it! I believe we can respond our levels a bit later in the game if we feel we have made some bad decisions against our weapon choices!

Love how the ranged weapons are actually useful in this and headshots can down enemies!

Not reached the first proper boss yet

Associate
when you get to the first real boss dont give up, its very hard at first, learn the pasterns and be prepaired for a long fight

Soldato
Yep the first boss was more challenging than I was expecting, haven't really bothered changing stances until I got to him! Was a good fight that tested my dodging reflexes :D

Done the side mission too, do you still collect the green men in the side mission? On the map screen it implies there's some to be found but I didn't see one

Soldato
learn patterns and level up......replay missions....resume at shrines :)

kodamas are collectibles MAINLY (only) in main maissions.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/nioh

where you guys bought it? i did from amazon but delivery to slovenija is 2 weeks :(

edit the tittle...it's not BETA anymore.

Soldato
On the second mission now and the depth of the progression of your character is fantastic if. Little confusing! Loads to spend points towards and to level up etc

I do find my self fumbling at the controls to pull off a good ki pulse and also the ability that gains you more key on a pulse with a weapon stance change is hard for me to nail whilst concentrating on a fight!

Associate
Make sure you do all the training missions at the dojo that are open to you, stick to one weapon and master it and unlock the 'living water' perk asap. 'Living water' allows you to recharge ki on a dodge, generally at the end of a combo you'll dodge away and recharge your ki in the process. Tapping dodge, R1 or changing stance becomes second nature the more hours you sink in.

Level 'spirit' enough to unlock perks on your sprit animal and pick ninjitsu or magic as a complement to your build, assuming you aren't doing a magic heavy build.

I'm guilty of playing this like Bloodborne, not using block at all, it's caused a lot of unnecessary deaths but I'm having a blast.

Still have used nothing but the axe, cannons are insane.

Soldato
Yep I'm playing this like bloodborne too! Never blocking it's just not natural to me again!

Thanks for the tips I did notice the spirit animal needed points to unlock perks so have got it to 7 at the moment, just maiming swords really, katana mainly so put a fair few points in Heart. Keeping equipment below 70%, was trying to keep it under 30 to start with

I havent returned to the dojo but I did notice it unlocked missions in there after the first main quest so maybe I should pop in there next time I'm on!

Thanks

Soldato
Loving this game so far, just finished the first mission. It's tough though, and this is from a guy who's put hundreds of hours into Souls games! Really enjoyed the first boss fight too (the chained demon, not the intro), but I did feel as though it got a lot easier after the first phase. Still, beating it from half heath with only one hit of HP left myself was heart pounding and brought me back to some of my favourite moments of Souls games :D.

It looks great, runs great and play fantastically. It's on for a 10/10 so far from me.

Soldato
Yea I liked the boss! I can see why it was sort of compared to souls but I think it demands more skill from the player than those games which is great!

One thing I do miss from comparing to the souls games is the more fantasy style setting and epic backdrops to levels etc though I'm not far in, this may have some of that!

Associate
The only bosses that have caused me problems are the fast moving ones, with tonnes of ki, that barely telegraph their moves.

It can be difficult timing an axe swing and a lot of the bosses have hyper armour too. The bloke in the field is a beast, bird woman was a pain but she's all about learning her moves and patience. Axe play is all about pressure and destroying ki but when the bosses have such a large pool of HP, constant pressure is a massive gamble and often turns sour quickly.

Ive just beaten a
spider woman
who was unbelievably easy.

Soldato
Snazzy new mobile format for the forum, will need to adjust!

Done the 2nd proper boss last night, I can see why folks say it was a tough one but to be honest I found it's about patience mainly. Take time, learn what they do and when. Also I used the kick ability at the end of a combo and this destroyed her ki several times allowing me to get in a load of hits!

Did take a fair few attempts, but had to adjust as I dint have ps plus so I'm on my own :D

Soldato
Make sure you do all the training missions at the dojo that are open to you, stick to one weapon and master it and unlock the 'living water' perk asap. 'Living water' allows you to recharge ki on a dodge, generally at the end of a combo you'll dodge away and recharge your ki in the process. Tapping dodge, R1 or changing stance becomes second nature the more hours you sink in.

Level 'spirit' enough to unlock perks on your sprit animal and pick ninjitsu or magic as a complement to your build, assuming you aren't doing a magic heavy build.

I'm guilty of playing this like Bloodborne, not using block at all, it's caused a lot of unnecessary deaths but I'm having a blast.

Still have used nothing but the axe, cannons are insane.
Cheers for this, some handy tips. I'm still not really sure what weapon I want to go and it's annoying. 20 hours of different chars and no clue. Thing is I know you can respect but I'm a perfectionist and don't want to waste skill points :(

Soldato
Cheers for this, some handy tips. I'm still not really sure what weapon I want to go and it's annoying. 20 hours of different chars and no clue. Thing is I know you can respect but I'm a perfectionist and don't want to waste skill points :(

I was thinking the same but tbh I would wind up making myself worry too much about it, there's no right choice for a first playthrough imo! Just pick maybe which moveset you prefer and stick with that?

I was debating restarting after the first mission but pushed on and have grown quite fond of the normal swords for now and like you say can always respec later!

But I totally understand why you are restarting, it can be frustrating going in to something blind but that's the best thing about playing these games near release, we can all talk about it on a similar level!

Associate
I was thinking the same but tbh I would wind up making myself worry too much about it, there's no right choice for a first playthrough imo! Just pick maybe which moveset you prefer and stick with that?

I was debating restarting after the first mission but pushed on and have grown quite fond of the normal swords for now and like you say can always respec later!

But I totally understand why you are restarting, it can be frustrating going in to something blind but that's the best thing about playing these games near release, we can all talk about it on a similar level!

I find that because there's no PVP meta it's difficult to plan a build or know if you're wasting points in certain attributes.

I'm currently at;

10 Body
15 Heart
25 Stamina
30 Strength
10 Spirit
Skill, Dex & Magic all at 5.

Being an axe wielder I could always use more ki which is tied to Heart so I could transfer 5 levels from Body into Heart. The 10 in Spirit has all of Kato's perks unlocked but it's hardly necessity.

Back
Top Bottom