• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
It seems the choice hinges on how much single core speed you're prepared to sacrifice for the obviously very strong multi core performance.

I'm betting over the next few years Ryzen will get stronger whilst Kabylake will drop off. A bit like AMD GPUs vs Nvidia over time ;)

Associate
I'm sure the XFR essentially stands for auto overclocking based on the cooler and the temperatures. The 1700X and 1800X mean they can be manually overclocked by enthusiasts.
They can all be manually overclocked.
I think the 1700 will be delivering this, remember all three chips are 8/16 with same cache and features. The only difference is clock speeds and the 1700 has a much lower base clock to drop into the 65W TDP category. This is where my money would go and then work on clocking it upto 1700X-1800X levels. :)

OcUK Staff
I'm sure the XFR essentially stands for auto overclocking based on the cooler and the temperatures. The 1700X and 1800X mean they can be manually overclocked by enthusiasts.

All three processors are the same, they all have XFR technology. The X varients have higher boost clocks hence the X, otherwise all three CPU's feature XFR and the only difference is clock speeds.

Associate
They can all be manually overclocked.

Yes, you're right, my bad. I quick searched revealed this:

"AMD's upcoming Ryzen processors are "unlocked," in that they feature unlocked base-clock multipliers that let you easily overclock them; yet a few of its variants feature a brand extension "X." As our older article details, the "X" refers to availability of the XFR (extended frequency range) feature. Think of it as a second stage boost that rewards good CPU cooling with higher CPU clocks set automatically. The Ryzen R7-1800X, R7-1700X, R5-1600X, R5-1400X, and R3-1200X feature this. "

Thus the 1700 doesn't have XFR (extended frequency range).

Associate
Long shot.....

maybe the X stands for this and the non X does not do it maybe non X does a Z movement :D

jpg

Soldato

"AMD's upcoming Ryzen processors are "unlocked," in that they feature unlocked base-clock multipliers that let you easily overclock them; yet a few of its variants feature a brand extension "X." As our older article details, the "X" refers to availability of the XFR (extended frequency range) feature. Think of it as a second stage boost that rewards good CPU cooling with higher CPU clocks set automatically. The Ryzen R7-1800X, R7-1700X, R5-1600X, R5-1400X, and R3-1200X feature this. "

Makes sense why the 1700 may be the best option if you intend to manually overclock. The X variants sound like they are intended for people that don't want to overclock but will pay a bit more for the chip to do it for them.

Soldato
"Better"?

As long as the timings are the same you'll be fine with either. It used to be that using 4 sticks put more strain on the controller, so if you went 4 x 8 that may still be a thing, but I'm almost certain it's a non-issue now.

Higher density usually has worse timings and yes, more DIMMs = more strain on IMC. Not sure if that's still the case.

Associate

They all have XFR.

All three processors are the same, they all have XFR technology. The X varients have higher boost clocks hence the X, otherwise all three CPU's feature XFR and the only difference is clock speeds.

P.B

P.B

Soldato
The CPU Wattman apparently according to the rumours, allows to turn off cores, to push for higher overclocks on the rest.
So we shouldn't be surprised that if we can turn off half the cores on the 8c/16t, and overclock the other 4 under water pretty high.

That should make a good gaming cpu 5ghz on 4 cores

Associate
The CPU Wattman apparently according to the rumours, allows to turn off cores, to push for higher overclocks on the rest.
So we shouldn't be surprised that if we can turn off half the cores on the 8c/16t, and overclock the other 4 under water pretty high.

Very interesting so a profile for games with higher 4c speed and a profile for rendering encoding ect with 8c enabled with lower speed

Back
Top Bottom