• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
I reckon ryzen is going to be fantastic price / performance. But i can't see it being a better gaming cpu than a 6700k/7700k.

Of course this may change in the next few years as games use more cores.

We are already in that era of gaming. Pc games are now recommending i7 for the recommendation because of the 4+4 cores/threads
We have consoles running 8 core CPU's forget couple of years mate the time is already here.

OcUK Staff
I reckon ryzen is going to be fantastic price / performance. But i can't see it being a better gaming cpu than a 6700k/7700k.

Of course this may change in the next few years as games use more cores.

It's not a better gaming cpu than 7600K and overclocking is not it's strong point a decent vrm is required on the mb for sure. Multi thread and optimization for this are it's strong areas. Rendering etc it's strong.

Caporegime
"Extended Compatibility for AM4/AM3 Coolers: Making Easy Work of Mounting Your Existing Coolers
The special mounting holes on the CROSSHAIR VI HERO makes it easy to fit with AM3/AM4 coolers as well as the existing LN2 pots. Just switch out the AM3 cooler for a AM4 one, you’ll get more life out of your previous cooler!"

This ASUS marketing material is extracted from another (more expensive) sellers website selling said board.

Wait you can get more life out of your AM3 cooler... by just switching it out for an AM4 one? Am I missing something there?

Soldato
Makes me chuckle when people complain about having an extra option of preordering. I think it's annoyance that they would have to take a chance and may lose out to those prepared to. Personally I'd wait as I'm not being forced to trust AMD.

As I always say some people would complain if you have everyone £1000 that they deserved more or that others didn't deserve any!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's not a better gaming cpu than 7600K and overclocking is not it's strong poiny a decent vrm is required on the mb for sure. Multi thread and optimization for this are it's strong areas. Rendering etc it's strong.

Well, there you go folks. Not surprised actually. If gaming was stronger you can trust AMD would have had a slide about it. Still a great CPU and a very welcome addition to the market. I think I will wait until their next line up of CPU's though myself. Will be interesting to see how performance is for 2018 games like Star Citizen and Cyberpunk 2077 before I upgrade me thinks.

Hopefully AMD can catch up the rest of the way with going 7nm soon.

Caporegime
Well, there you go folks. Not surprised actually. If gaming was stronger you can trust AMD would have had a slide about it. Still a great CPU and a very welcome addition to the market. I think I will wait until their next line up of CPU's though myself. Will be interesting to see how performance is for 2018 games like Star Citizen and Cyberpunk 2077 before I upgrade me thinks.

Hopefully AMD can catch up the rest of the way with going 7nm soon.

Its a case of it doesn't clock as high, so in low thread situations like low threaded games yes a KabyLake chip with 4.5Ghz vs 3.7 or 4.0Ghz the former will be a bit better, but does that really make the £350 4 core better than the £350 8 core?

P.B

P.B

Soldato
How do these compare to intel's 14nm?. Also whats the main difference for the X chip I've just pre-ordered the 1700 does this mean it cant over clock due to the 65w tdp ?

Caporegime
At this stage I'd say that it strictly relates to that exact ASUS board (which I was eyeing up before the ludacrous price :().

Not sure you read it right. It says in regards to that mobo that the way to get more life out of the AM3 cooler... is to switch it out for an AM4 cooler ;)

Makes me chuckle when people complain about having an extra option of preordering. I think it's annoyance that they would have to take a chance and may lose out to those prepared to. Personally I'd wait as I'm not being forced to trust AMD.

As I always say some people would complain if you have everyone £1000 that they deserved more or that others didn't deserve any!

Exactly, like I said before it's not a game, even if you get it delivered it's £5 to send something back but you can cancel the order at any time. People did the same with the Switch, pre-ordered, then some people decided against it and cancelled. It's an extra option for those who are desperate to get one and want to make sure they get one(or have the option) on March 2nd(or 3rd if they ship on the 2nd).

I dislike games being pre-ordered because for one thing it can happen a year in advance based off say an E3 rendered advert which doesn't represent the final game. Another thing is pre-orders for a game can outweigh development costs, if a game turns out to be a NMS then you've turned a small group of people into millionaires for lying heavily.

Now with Zen, A early orders would amount to a few million dollars, maybe, B it's like 10 days away, not months, C AMD have spent upwards of a billion dollars on R&D for Zen, they aren't looking to recoup that from pre-orders nor will anyone run off a millionaire if they suckered a low number of people into pre-ordering. If the product flopped and sales died on day 2, AMD would be bankrupt in a couple years and no one is getting rich of the preorders.

Associate
How do these compare to intel's 14nm?. Also whats the main difference for the X chip I've just pre-ordered the 1700 does this mean it cant over clock due to the 65w tdp ?

I think the x stands for xfr which is where the cpu overlclocks automatically.
You should be able to overclock manually.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Its a case of it doesn't clock as high, so in low thread situations like low threaded games yes a KabyLake chip with 4.5Ghz vs 3.7 or 4.0Ghz the former will be a bit better, but does that really make the £350 4 core better than the £350 8 core?

Don't get me wrong dude. I think it is a great CPU and if I really needed an upgrade I would be getting one, but right now with what I have it is much closer to a want than a need. Until more games come out that I want to play that require the extra cores, what use would it be to me? If anything it could end up being a step backwards as I do not video encode much and benching is only fun for the first for days or a week after I buy new hardware.

Back
Top Bottom