• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone switching from x99 -> Ryzen?

Soldato
Like others have said really not much point in switching to Ryzen from X99. Good luck to AMD, bout time Intel took a licking. On a side point i do wonder what Intel will do with the 5820K/6800K since it looks like Ryzen effectively makes these CPU's redundant? That's redundant not obsolete. Anyone building a new system now though would be crazy to pick up a 6800K over a Ryzen R7.

Depends. 6800-6850K can out pace the 1700 quite easily in anything that isn't heavily multi-threaded, especially once overclocked. People need to lower their expectations a little.

Ryzen is stretched thin on the latter front already.

Caporegime
Love the thought of Intel being shown up for the robbing greedy ******'s they are. I remember when an i5 cost £160 and the i7 was £230 :o

well that is not really the case is it ?

as above someone pointed out a 5820k was available at low points of under £300 ! now many people have had 2 years of pcing for the same speed as what you are now going to get with the 1700 amd chip which is 320 quid ! brexit gouging and basically greed have forced them up and little competition.so actually its amd fault for taking so long and shops not intel.

as above posted when i brought my 5820k for eg the same bundle has gone up nearly 200 quid ! it would be priced at the same price as the 1700 bundle now with quad mem and a better mobo than what you will get with amd and i had it for best part of 1and half years.

so no intel hasnt been ripping people off.

Soldato
Depends. 6800-6850K can out pace the 1700 quite easily in anything that isn't heavily multi-threaded, especially once overclocked. People need to lower their expectations a little.

Ryzen is stretched thin on the latter front already.

From what I've seen, single threaded performance is basically the same clock for clock. But once anything begins to use multiple cores/hyper threading, the Ryzens pull away.
If an overclocked 1800x really beats an overclocked 6950x, that is simply INSANE!

3f02af71b7bc4a889017ab4dfd802650.png

28132402693l.jpg

Soldato

as above someone pointed out a 5820k was available at low points of under £300 ! now many people have had 2 years of pcing for the same speed as what you are now going to get with the 1700 amd chip which is 320 quid ! brexit gouging and basically greed have forced them up and little competition.so actually its amd fault for taking so long and shops not intel.

as above posted when i brought my 5820k for eg the same bundle has gone up nearly 200 quid ! it would be priced at the same price as the 1700 bundle now with quad mem and a better mobo than what you will get with amd and i had it for best part of 1and half years.

If you look at the price of the 6900k & 6950x especially.. YES Intel has been shamelessly ripping people off. Why? Because they could.

Soldato

Lol that's like saying Nvidia aren't ripping people off because you can buy a used GTX 980 for a decent price.

Of course Intel are at 'it'.

Their 30% profit to the tune of $1.25bn dollars in 2016 over 2015 tells you everything you need to know.

Don't pretend Intel are good guys, they've had the monopoly on the market for years now.

Soldato
Really? Looks like they're at 3.6 GHz to me. Is there a problem with the graph, other than it being blurry?
Yeh doesn't look to be reported right. I was told the CPU was at 4.66Ghz

Considering the 1800x auto boosts to 4.1Ghz, it doesn't seem, a stretch to imagine them being able to hit the 4.5-4.6Ghz range with some manual overclocking.

Soldato
Look at the score above. 4.6 is dream territory, also.

You don't think 4.6Ghz on water is feasible?
500mhz over stock overclock too much of a stretch I guess.

Considering LN2 Vs LN2 it seems the 1800x beats every other CPU. So water Vs water seems like it could be possible to me.

"At these speeds, the chip was able to score 2449 Cinebench points in the multi-threaded tests, breaking the previous world record of 2410 Cinebench points."

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-world-record/

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, I have a 5820k and what AMD are kicking out now isn't really any better in price/performance compared to 5820k set up prices in late 2015 (AMD have not been helped by the pound plummeting and ddr 4 prices going crazy since - I think my 5820k set up actually worked out cheaper back in 2015 than if you bought a 1600x set up now!).

It is also sitting happily at 4.4ghz so in terms of single core performance it doesn't like like Ryzen is going to be much better compared to what I have now.

In a few years, if AMD can up the clock speeds and IPC some more and continue to keep prices reasonable, then I will be well up for getting an 8 core Zen then.

If you already have Haswell E/Broadwell E I really can't see the point in switching to Ryzen unless you could genuinely do with the 8 cores instead of 6 if you only have a 6 core.

Soldato
No, I have a 5820k and what AMD are kicking out now isn't really any better in price/performance compared to 5820k set up prices in late 2015 (AMD have not been helped by the pound plummeting and ddr 4 prices going crazy since - I think my 5820k set up actually worked out cheaper back in 2015 than if you bought a 1600x set up now!).

Look at the prices NOW. Not years ago. Intel is simply ripping people off. Obvious is obvious.

6950x = £1,623.98 = LOL

Caporegime
yes but like we have stated is it intel who adjusted the markets and dollar to pound ? nope.

time is a relevant factor as is amd not having a product to challenge.i dont get why so many get angry or annoyed.

Soldato
yes but like we have stated is it intel who adjusted the markets and dollar to pound ? nope.

time is a relevant factor as is amd not having a product to challenge.i dont get why so many get angry or annoyed.

Because there are a large number of people who have cult think.
I've been using Intel CPU's for the past 17 years. Personally I can't wait to be free of their extortion/monopoly with viable alternatives.

Soldato
Currency conversion has little to do with it though. If you look at Intel's strategy over the last few years cutting manufacturing cost while maximising sales profit, and research investment has been the focus.

Small changes like selling premium desktop CPU's with crap thermal material under the IHS saves millions in production costs.

Since this is the complete opposite of benefiting the end consumer in terms of thermal performance/price/actual performance gain vs the previous generation it is fair to consider Intel as just another corporation who like to **** all over the consumer.

It's to be expected really, the only thing that annoys me is those who try and suggest differently :p

Dare I say, the corporate 'apologist' :D mentality is part of the reason why the western world is in such a mess at moment.

Back
Top Bottom