• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
ce0c756464fc8bc6.jpg

2e639fcce74554d0.jpg

I like the shiny :D Just need **** loads of luck and LED's for water block. Booked half day off work Monday to give it a go.

Ps. Its 1.03 so u know

Looks ace, I am sure that it will fly. Just build it and post please. That is what I would buy as a preference.

Associate
And? Again all this proves is some software isn't well optimised yet. It's clear to see that the 1700 is barely breaking a sweat.

Fallout 4 one of the oldest engines around, based on the Fallout 3 engine which in turn was based on the Oblivion engine which was released 11 years ago.

Agree one of the worse games to benchmark with .....Its not a fair level playing field yet for Ryzen yes that is no excuse but it is what it is ..Yes Intel is clearly faster here for sure in this one result ....For all we know the whole code could be based entirely on Intel compiler's plus the fact that even win 10 is not even optimized for Ryzen yet as a whole ...i would however be far more interested how all these cpu's with fallout would run in win 7 ..I may give that a test ..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
the atx version has better onboard audio I think. Also worth considering that the 16x pcie on the matx version is 1 slot closer to the CPU, so the graphics card could potentially interfere with some of the larger CPU coolers.

I'm very close to ordering the gaming 3 and another reason I won't be getting the matx is also that the second gpu is going to interfere with the front panel usb3 header. Oh and also no bling bling :p
Good point, there would be no way I could use my NH-D15S with the MATX board. There's only a fingers width between the fan clip and the PCB of the graphics card as it is

Associate
I built my Crosshair VI / 1700 yesterday. First build I've done that worked first time, helps to have a q connector.
Haven't fully explored it yet but any clock or voltage change I make in the BIOS results in the PC not booting again. A CMOS reset though gets it going again, thankfully. I can clock the CPU using Ryzen Master and doing that works very well. I'm having to use the stock cooler for the time being so I've stopped at 3.8Ghz at 1.35v and that was dead easy to set in Ryzen Master. RAM on the other hand is proving very tricky. I set it at 3200Hz (it's rated speed) in the BIOS but all readings in Windows say it is at approx 2100Mhz - perhaps this is a reading issue. Ryzen Master while doing excellent CPU clocking has weird voltage settings for RAM none of which go up to even 1.35v. I tried to up the RAM speed gently in RM but although the reboot thought about it the reading was still 2100Mhz when Windows booted.
CPU-z says my single thread performance is better than my old 4790k @ 4.7Ghz and multi thread goes off the end of the bar. (single thread - 1600 4790k @ 4.7GHz, 2000 Ryzen @ 3.8GHz).
I do wonder what to believe in all the software monitoring readouts.
The whole thing is proving quite fun.

Soldato
I built my Crosshair VI / 1700 yesterday. First build I've done that worked first time, helps to have a q connector.
Haven't fully explored it yet but any clock or voltage change I make in the BIOS results in the PC not booting again. A CMOS reset though gets it going again, thankfully. I can clock the CPU using Ryzen Master and doing that works very well. I'm having to use the stock cooler for the time being so I've stopped at 3.8Ghz at 1.35v and that was dead easy to set in Ryzen Master. RAM on the other hand is proving very tricky. I set it at 3200Hz (it's rated speed) in the BIOS but all readings in Windows say it is at approx 2100Mhz - perhaps this is a reading issue. Ryzen Master while doing excellent CPU clocking has weird voltage settings for RAM none of which go up to even 1.35v. I tried to up the RAM speed gently in RM but although the reboot thought about it the reading was still 2100Mhz when Windows booted.
CPU-z says my single thread performance is better than my old 4790k @ 4.7Ghz and multi thread goes off the end of the bar. (single thread - 1600 4790k @ 4.7GHz, 2000 Ryzen @ 3.8GHz).
I'm at 3.8ghz 1.2v at the minute

Soldato

I have experienced this weird ram speed issue aswell. In my bios i can set 2933 only to find in windows its set to 2133:/
Another fun one is 3.8 in the bios for CPU only to load windows and find 3.2! Applying a profile on ryzen master fixes this but its a little annoying.

Permabanned
Hardware does not have it easy with me. Think over years only thing i not killed is... Memory :D
Hope ill be happy with this.. Cpu needs to last till Ryzen 2 so deffo will be running pass 1.4volts on my water loop.
Should be nice block upgrade since i have this XSPC Rasa waterblock since phenom [email protected] times :D

Bit sad that new CPUS dont do 4.3 :p Guess 4 or 4.1 will have to do me

Last edited:
Soldato
Hardware does not have it easy with me. Think over years only thing i not killed is... Memory :D
Hope ill be happy with this.. Cpu needs to last till Ryzen 2 so deffo will be running pass 1.4volts on my water loop.
Should be nice block upgrade since i have this XSPC Rasa waterblock since phenom [email protected] times :D

Bit sad that new CPUS dont do 4.3 :p Guess 4 or 4.1 will have to do me

I think 8pack said these are good for 1.45 24/7 with decent cooling. I'm pushing for the 4.0 mark when I get my damn bracket.

Associate
I think 8pack said these are good for 1.45 24/7 with decent cooling. I'm pushing for the 4.0 mark when I get my damn bracket.

He indeed said something down those lines, and 1.55 the absolute most for a push iirc, any above that is a warrenty void, I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

I just got a confirmation from 12:50 that my order has been packed and is in process of shipping :).

If what i read from this thread is correct 80-85 degrees is fine and 1.45v for 24/7 use, I'll give this a try on the 1700's stock cooler but if it's too loud then maybe try something more expected.
If it can hold 3.8GHz well and not too disturbing then i believe it might be worth while sitting on that for a while, but what kind of coolers is considered worth while?

Associate
I chose atx over matx for one reason. It was actually in stock! I even changed my case to suit because I'm an inpatient child.
Now that, is the spirit.

I am also an impatient child and spent a good part of the 2nd day post-launch, tracking down B350 stock even though I wanted an X370 mobo. :)

Associate
Soldato
Dear God guys, give it a rest... You disagree, move on. Nobody wins Internet arguments...

Besides, I'm waiting for someone to post 'just ordered XYZ board' so I know to go look and may miss it for all the bickering :D

Ha ha. I just ordered the Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 a couple hours ago. I did consider the X370 Gaming 5, but what would I get for my extra £100? Nothing I'd use I suspect. There is a big gap in the GB range at around £140-160. Had something filled that space, I may have went for that. As it is, I went for th b350 (which had initially been my plan anyway).

I did kinda want the MSI offering after seeing some great reports. But the stingy allocation of sata put paid to that. While I don't need 10 ports, 4 won't cut it.

Back
Top Bottom