• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
think ive given up on the motherboards arriving soon think il wait for a couple of weeks till they have been out a few days and base my decision on user reviews regarding ram compatibility ,bios and stabilty

Soldato
And? Again all this proves is some software isn't well optimised yet. It's clear to see that the 1700 is barely breaking a sweat.

Fallout 4 one of the oldest engines around, based on the Fallout 3 engine which in turn was based on the Oblivion engine which was released 11 years ago.

Yes the Creation engine is getting very creaky now,but Fallout 4 and Skyrim are games loads of people including me play and quite a few of my mates - sadly Bethesda games are poorly optimised but very popular(especially many who I know who play it are not enthusiasts but just gamers). The FO4 implementation of it actually only really scales to 4 cores,but it hammers one or two cores.

The worst thing is the video is not showing where performance can really crash - its when you start building settlements,and start making factories and mechanisms. Then you need to add the fact that mods can do more of the same and a number have 100s of 1000s if not millions of downloads and FO4 is still not as well modded as Skyrim was. I already knew Ryzen under-performed in it,looking at the Sweclockers review and some testing over on a Czech forum which saw the same thing. My IB Core i7 can get hammered in the game - Intel could use it as a poster child for SKL/KL,but despite this I have some hope performance can improve in Ryzen once we get some more fixes and BETTER motherboards with more refined support of higher speed RAM. Higher speed RAM seems to help performance in FO4 IIRC.

Plus,looking at AMD in the past,I suspect Ryzen 2 will anyway be more refined - Intel tends to change sockets too often for my liking and it means even if you have a perfectly fine CPU you can run the risk of not being able to get a new replacement motherboard,and its why even though my current motherboard is fine,its has a worse spec than my original one! :(

Same poster also does a Crysis 3 vid where it matches the 6700K, I would guess it's more a fallout issue (or down to drivers) than a CPU issue.

Nothing to do with drivers - its a lightly threaded game,which seems to push upto 4 cores mostly,but seems to hog one or two threads the most.

Its why I hope the next Elder Scrolls uses Vulkan.

If not we are screwed.

Edit!!

Crysis 3 is known to thread well - it was one of the first more recent games which actually shown an 8 thread CPU thrashing a 4 thread ones.

If you played the game,you will know what part I am talking about - its the area under the dome.

The physics of the grass animations are handled by the CPU and it can destroy CPUs which have not enough threads.

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw a slide at some point that showed only the 370 board did SLI\Crossfire...is that wrong or did I go mad and not see it?

Ah yes apologise, you can do crossfire on B350 but have to go X370 for sli for some silly reason :/ so really yeah I guess if you are going dual Nvidia go X370 and otherwise B350. Either way though there still no reason to pick the ATX board of the MATX board when cheaper with same features.

Man of Honour
Ah yes apologise, you can do crossfire on B350 but have to go X370 for sli for some silly reason :/ so really yeah I guess if you are going dual Nvidia go X370 and otherwise B350. Either way though there still no reason to pick the ATX board of the MATX board when cheaper with same features.

ATX boards look better in a bigger case. I think the Gaming 3 has better VRMs, an extra rear panel USB, better on board audio, better bios support, an extra PCIE slot

Soldato
Maybe people like the visual appearance of a larger board in their case.

That is true and maybe the biggest reason to go for ATX. But that doesn't actually make the boards better for the extra cost and it actually used to be a premium to go MATX which isn't the case now. I think given time there are also reason to allow more space in a case for things such as better cooling, more cable space etc.

Soldato
ATX boards look better in a bigger case. I think the Gaming 3 has better VRMs, an extra rear panel USB, better on board audio, better bios support, an extra PCIE slot

The gaming 3 is available in both MATX and ATX with same features bar the one extra PCIE slot but that I feel unless you are really wanting to put a sound card in is redundant bearing in mind the number of PCIE lanes available. Ryzen can only do 8x PCIE in xfire/sli regardless of number of slots.

Soldato
That is true and maybe the biggest reason to go for ATX. But that doesn't actually make the boards better for the extra cost and it actually used to be a premium to go MATX which isn't the case now. I think given time there are also reason to allow more space in a case for things such as better cooling, more cable space etc.

I chose atx over matx for one reason. It was actually in stock! I even changed my case to suit because I'm an inpatient child.

Soldato
In fairness the same was true of the 5820K and at the time benchmarks showed it didn't make any difference (there was a 1-2 FPS difference in some games compared to the 5930K but that was put down to the CPU).

Yep I understand but from what I also remember it drops more going from 8x to 4x and so 3 way would give much more issue than xfire/sli and thought maybe that was why AMD feel the sweet spot at this time for consumer is what they have provided?

Personally this is the reason I am holding off though as 144Mhz 4K will gain next year I feel that it may become more critical but that is of course a hunch but I am willing to wait and see.

Permabanned
ce0c756464fc8bc6.jpg

2e639fcce74554d0.jpg

I like the shiny :D Just need **** loads of luck and LED's for water block. Booked half day off work Monday to give it a go.

Ps. Its 1.03 so u know

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep I understand but from what I also remember it drops more going from 8x to 4x and so 3 way would give much more issue than xfire/sli and thought maybe that was why AMD feel the sweet spot at this time for consumer is what they have provided?

I don't believe you can do three way on AM4?

Not sure about other boards but on the Gigabyte Gaming 5 the third x16 slot is only x4 and shares its lanes with the x1 slots (it's aimed for NVMe storage). Also I think Nvidia disable SLI at 4x? (and disable >2 car SLI with Pascal?).

*EDIT*

The third slot is also PCI-E 2.0 x4.

Last edited:
Caporegime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGuKdALBSDY

1700@4000Mhz getting spanked of a 6700@4000Mhz, under 60 FPS in some areas on ryzen this with a 1070, i would not be pairing it up with a 1080ti.

You're trolling, you're using one game to tar the CPU as a whole.

here is an actual review with the 1080TI.

All but one game Ryzen had higher performance with the 1080TI than the 7700K.

In almost all tests (things didn’t go perfectly in Far Cry Primal) the Ryzen 1800X gave the best frame rates at all resolutions, and even more so when pushed to 1440P and 2160P, where the 8-core 16-thread design of the CPU was able to relieve the GTX 1080 Ti of any bottlenecks in performance.

http://www.eteknix.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-cpu-showdown-i7-7700k-vs-ryzen-r7-1800xvs-i7-5820k/

Here are a whole lot more where Ryzen does better than the 7700K...

Soldato
The gaming 3 is available in both MATX and ATX with same features bar the one extra PCIE slot but that I feel unless you are really wanting to put a sound card in is redundant bearing in mind the number of PCIE lanes available. Ryzen can only do 8x PCIE in xfire/sli regardless of number of slots.

the atx version has better onboard audio I think. Also worth considering that the 16x pcie on the matx version is 1 slot closer to the CPU, so the graphics card could potentially interfere with some of the larger CPU coolers.

I'm very close to ordering the gaming 3 and another reason I won't be getting the matx is also that the second gpu is going to interfere with the front panel usb3 header. Oh and also no bling bling :p

Soldato
I don't believe you can do three way on AM4?

Not sure about other boards but on the Gigabyte Gaming 5 the third x16 slot is only x4 and is wired to the PCH not the CPU (it's aimed for NVMe storage). Also I think Nvidia disable SLI at 4x? (and disable >2 car SLI with Pascal?).

Ah yes all correct indeed. The thing is that if you went xfire or sli then with the number of PCIE lanes total the CPU. So there is only 24 lanes.

You go x16x & x8 for xfire then you have used all slots up. Now I guess you could go x8/x8 and then you have your x8 spare but then take your M.2 uses x4 on that and leaves you the x4 on the last PCIE slot. But what I don't understand is why have the 3rd PCIE slot then if there are 2 M.2 or at least I haven't seen a board where it is MATX with 2 M.2 which would work out the best use of the PCIE lanes available with Ryzen.

All of the layouts appear to be a compromise to allow older hardware I guess. Actually thinking about it the Asrock AB350M seems to provide the best use of PCIE and connectivity with the use of x8/x8 xfire and 2 M.2 slots if I remember correctly.

Soldato
the atx version has better onboard audio I think. Also worth considering that the 16x pcie on the matx version is 1 slot closer to the CPU, so the graphics card could potentially interfere with some of the larger CPU coolers.

I'm very close to ordering the gaming 3 and another reason I won't be getting the matx is also that the second gpu is going to interfere with the front panel usb3 header. Oh and also no bling bling :p

Yep the chipset used for onboard sound are different with one being slightly better on paper. I would love to provide a blind test poll to actually see the result because I would be willing to buy you the Gaming 3 if you could hear the difference haha.

Hmm on the slot position, I always forget about that because I always go AIO or custom loop these days but fair point :)

Doesn't front panel usb3 header depend on case as much too though?

Back
Top Bottom