*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
The left one specifically yes, it was operated on back in October 2015. They also looked at the movement patterns of both shoulders when doing the side by side comparison post surgery when I was getting movement back, they said the right one is hyper mobile and felt unstable.

Soldato
I did a video of my Squats, Youtube didn't like the sound for one part, and tbh I think people would be best muting it :p

I video'd my first set of 5, and my last set of 5. Just to see whether the form degraded, or was always bad.

Any and all advice welcome:

Associate
seeing this video, raises one question for me.

after my session last week with a trainer - he told me to not push the knees over toes as it puts strain on the knees. which is what you seem to be doing in your video.
saying that i wasn't doing it with a bar, i was using dumbells resting on my shoulders.

Soldato
That doesn't sound round to me, knee travel will be more dictated by ankle mobility id have thought. A back angle of the above video would help, but you should be pushing your knees outwards (to the sides) over your toes - in doing this, your knee won't travel as far forward.

Giraffe may simply be using a stance that is too narrow and not giving himself enough of a "hole" to sit in.

Giraffe, what's your stance like? I'd recommend feet at shoulder width apart, if not ever so slightly further. And point your feet forwards and then turn them out slightly, but avoid a pronounced V-shape.

Soldato
A little wink but nothing better bracing and some more tension through the hips can't solve.

Your spine is going from extension to minor flexion through the movement which is something we need to cut out as much as humanly possible.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chad+wesley+smith+bracing

The first 2 videos in list search give some good information :)

Knees over toes is a bit of a myth (for example when you sprint or jump your knees go way over your toes and they're some of the most violent movements you can do)
Long femurs here will almost always force the knees beyond the toes. This can be mitigated a little by turning your toes out a little and having you knees track over them (and possibly widening your stance but I can't see it clearly in this video)

Associate
Knees over toes is a bit of a myth (for example when you sprint or jump your knees go way over your toes and they're some of the most violent movements you can do)
Long femurs here will almost always force the knees beyond the toes. This can be mitigated a little by turning your toes out a little and having you knees track over them (and possibly widening your stance but I can't see it clearly in this video)

that clears it up for me then, thanks :)

Soldato
Good depth but a bit of butt wink at the bottom of the movement? Someone with more knowledge will confirm.

That doesn't sound round to me, knee travel will be more dictated by ankle mobility id have thought. A back angle of the above video would help, but you should be pushing your knees outwards (to the sides) over your toes - in doing this, your knee won't travel as far forward.

Giraffe may simply be using a stance that is too narrow and not giving himself enough of a "hole" to sit in.

Giraffe, what's your stance like? I'd recommend feet at shoulder width apart, if not ever so slightly further. And point your feet forwards and then turn them out slightly, but avoid a pronounced V-shape.

I'd say my feet are a bit further than shoulder width, but I'm still not sure where's 'best for me'
This is the 3rd session squatting with a bar, so I'm still learning :)
I'll try and get a vid from a different angle, I've got a mate who's been a massive flake with the gym atm, but when he's along he can to a panning shot ;)

A little wink but nothing better bracing and some more tension through the hips can't solve.

Your spine is going from extension to minor flexion through the movement which is something we need to cut out as much as humanly possible.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chad+wesley+smith+bracing

The first 2 videos in list search give some good information :)

I've watched the second one (and a lot of their vids in general) while I feel I've got the 'how to brace' well practiced, I am having trouble remembering all the things I need to remember and in what order while also doing the squat haha

Soldato
So basically everybody does it, how come i get told to not do it then :o

Because anyone can do a course over a weekend and call themselves a trainer, and a lot of the information they're taught is either out-of-date or flat out wrong. Evidence-based training and nutrition is sadly lacking even at a 'professional' level.

Back
Top Bottom