*** The 2017 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
Assuming you're not lifting at an elite level..... eat more?

I'd probably consider myself more in the *advanced* level - not elite. I honestly consider the likelihood to be I don't do enough bench volume. I'm always trying to eat more :p

Basically, I consider Candito's Bench periodization to be poor - at least for me anyway.

Soldato
Not that your ability as a lifter correlates with how well you can program buuuut Candito's still pretty young, programmed for himself a lot... and his bench has always been a weak point. IIRC there's a lot of people on Reddit who've got something out of his routines for squats/deads but didn't make as much progress with their bench.

Man of Honour
OP
I did a video of my Squats, Youtube didn't like the sound for one part, and tbh I think people would be best muting it :p

I video'd my first set of 5, and my last set of 5. Just to see whether the form degraded, or was always bad.

Any and all advice welcome:

Your core is slacker than one of my 3rd year students.

Also, you are dropping far too low which is both causing the buttwink (your femoral head is jamming against your acetabulum... google it) and you are disengaging your glootz, meaning - as the weight increases - you are REALLY going to hurt your back as it takes the strain.

reiyushin's advice is good - follow it. :)

Soldato
I'd also chime in that squatting that low with a bar on your back isn't the best idea for most people in flat shoes - you need decent flexibility plus favourable anatomy to pull it off cleanly - and even then it's generally going to be much easier to hit the right positions and maintain loading in the legs rather than the back with a solid heeled shoe.

Soldato
Alright, Thanks all.
I've watched the other JTS videos now, been getting a feeling for the bracing and practised with some air squats :p

I'll try and not go as deep, is there any tips for knowing when you're 'deep enough' ( ;) )
Or is it something I should try with a bench (going till I touch it) and just get used to?

Man of Honour
I struggle with going too deep too. However, if you brace harder and engage your glutes 100% it will create a natural "seat" for your to sit in, and you will "feel" that you are in a good position.

Look at these 2 squats (you'll have to forgive the reps as they were the last 2 of 6 and I needed to trim video to 15s for instagram):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSCLmHDB_kM/?hl=en

My 5th rep (1st rep on vid) is spot on, no wink, good depth, everything was tight, the second/last rep was a lot looser as I just didn't brace properly.

Soldato
Alright, I was trying to work through the bracing just doing air squats.
I could hold it and keep my back from rounding (with no weight) but I was getting pain in the front of my hip ( I believe this is what mrthingyx was mentioning)
I started looking on YouTube etc and I'm seeing a lot about hip mobility, this has been something I've felt I need to work on for a while, is there some specific stretching I should do for a warm up? I've not been doing any stretching before for my hips, mainly shoulders

Man of Honour
OP
I guess there is no point trying again tomorrow. I can't start another 4 week cycle next Saturday since I leave for a few weeks on the Sunday, so might shoot for this again.

Don't sweat it... Max lifts are not always where you want them to be (or when). My body and mind have a nasty habit of goading me into maxing out two weeks before I should and I have come out with both my best ever lifts and... no progress at all.

If you talk yourself out of it, doesn't matter what your ramp has been or how good your nutrition is: that bar will feel too heavy.

Use the extra time to work the back, chestanbize, and trizendelts and your fiancée will go green at all the admiring looks.

Back
Top Bottom