Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Permabanned
Yeah, this is in normal mode. I've not had a chance yet to set up my own router and access point.
Thanks. (Glad you could decipher my spelling!) It confirms what I thought, in that the SH3 issues are only when it is modem mode only. In standard mode it seems to perform OK, with the best WiFi to date in an Super Hub, though still not as good as my Asus AC68U. What firmware does your Hub have? 116V?

Associate
Hi all not happy with virginmedia it all started last may when I was told the harborne servers needed fixing.got told that would be completed by November which it was. But I never got told anything till I rang up complaining my internet was to slow that was August then I received a letter telling me virginmedia has a problem with high utilisation which I have had loads of engineers fit 10-15-20db boxs to my modem over the years never thought anything about it till I was told by an engineer its for utilisation problems.I was originally told a day at the most which then turned into a month then January then the end of march then the second week of April now I've been told 8th January 2018 I've phone them till I'm blue in the face been with virginmedia over 20 years back to ntl even Birmingham cable and wireless days never ever missed one payment or had a letter sent out for none payment always payed on time now totally had enough so I rang to cancel to which I got ask why I wanted to leave I said because the internet was ** Swearing ** which I got shouted at an argument ensued to the guy ending the call so I rang back to get a snotty nose jumped up ** Swearing ** telling me not to talk over him.i couldn't believe what I was hearing these people forget whose paying and has been paying there wages for years in the end he ended the call I think really it was because it was 10oclock and that's there finishing time.but I'm still paying for a service I just don't get HELP PLEASE ANYONE

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
** Quote removed - Swearing **

Nice first post! :rolleyes:

Maybe it's your attitude speaking to them?

Because you're paying for a "service" or "providing their wages" (LOL?) doesn't give you the right to talk to them like **** either.

Simple fact is, put up with the utilisation and ask for rolling credit or leave. You can happily leave without charge due to utilisation issues via the cancellations department without arguments.

"I would like to cancel my contract due to the utilisation issues as you (Virgin Media) are not providing the full service I'm paying for."

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Nice first post! :rolleyes:

Maybe it's your attitude speaking to them?

Because you're paying for a "service" or "providing their wages" (LOL?) doesn't give you the right to talk to them like **** either.

Simple fact is, put up with the utilisation and ask for rolling credit or leave. You can happily leave without charge due to utilisation issues via the cancellations department without arguments.

"I would like to cancel my contract due to the utilisation issues as you (Virgin Media) are not providing the full service I'm paying for."

Exactly this.

Ring up, be polite and courteous to the call handler that you speak to, explain you're not happy with the service they are providing and that despite being given numerous dates given for a resolution to be implemented, your area is still over utilised and internet service sub-par. Then go on to tell them you wish to cancel as you have lost faith in them as a provider...but don't shout or be rude to the call handler, it's not their fault that Virgin media over subscribe their service.

Associate
I have to agree with the previous posters you have to be polite.

One thing I will say about the 1st line call handlers is they will tell you anything to get you off the phone, I was told twice there were problems in my area that were being fixed in a day or 2 for the same utilisation issue, both cases were confirmed as out and out lies by a 2nd line VM engineer, he categorically told me they lied.

The "I'm thinking of leaving vm" is the only real option to speak to someone who will help properly.

Soldato
So for the past few days my 200mb package, which normally runs full speed without issue (odd peak time rush aside), went down to about 0.2mb. This happened across 5 devices so I'm pretty sure I can rule out PC/Phone x 2/Laptop/PS4. Rang Virgin and they said everything looked OK their end, did the whole router reset lark and problem still persisted. Last night for whatever reason speeds returned to normal and seem ok again so far today. I have a SH2 which must be a couple of years old now - Virgin already have an engineer booked to come out next Friday after speaking to them in the midst of the issue a couple of days back.

Just wondering if it's indicative of something likely being on the blink? Should I push to be sent a SH3 and not waste the engineers time? Or let him come out now and have a poke around anyway?

Associate
Thanks for swift reply goodfellows sorry about the ***** bits another thing vm say I've got to give 30 cancellation time is there any way of being released out of the contract now without being stuck to them for that amount of time please

Soldato
Thanks for swift reply goodfellows sorry about the ***** bits another thing vm say I've got to give 30 cancellation time is there any way of being released out of the contract now without being stuck to them for that amount of time please

You have to argue that they have already broken the contract by not supplying the service. They will tell you they provide "up to" speeds, and you tell them that you're experiencing far below reasonable expectations. If that doesn't work, you put in a written complaint, and then escalate to CISAS. Don't be afraid to threaten this, as it costs ISPs hundreds as soon as CISAS get a complaint to investigate, so they try and avoid this.

You might also get some joy contacting the managing director's office, if you google you can get his email address.

Soldato

You will have to give 30 days notification, but the the pro of that is you don't have to pay a cancellation fee and dependant on when you get charged, you may get that back or some of it.

Which then also gives you 30 days to sort out alternative ISP.

Permabanned
You have to argue that they have already broken the contract by not supplying the service. They will tell you they provide "up to" speeds, and you tell them that you're experiencing far below reasonable expectations. If that doesn't work, you put in a written complaint, and then escalate to CISAS. Don't be afraid to threaten this, as it costs ISPs hundreds as soon as CISAS get a complaint to investigate, so they try and avoid this.

You might also get some joy contacting the managing director's office, if you google you can get his email address.
This is great advice. You also have to remember that efing and blinding at people, even when you are in the right, rarely (I'd say never) helps your cause. In my experience I've received way more help from people by staying polite in the face of the most unjust situations. The key is getting to the people that actually have power/influence/knowledge to help you and normally you have to navigate the people below them and those people are not going go out of their way to help somebody who comes over as obnoxious.

Last edited:
Associate
Normally I'd agree with the CEO email tact, although the last time I emailed them it wasn't the experience I was used to, not a call to say my issue as fixed and my billing issue I also referenced was ignored completely, I had to mail them again the next month. I think so many people are doing this now it's not taken that seriously anymore.

Associate
I've been having the same problem for a few weeks - paying for the 200mb service but getting 5-7mb between about 7pm and midnight. Their forums are full of people affected by over-utilisation and it's pretty clear that the review dates they give out are rather meaningless as they just push them back and back.

I've rung them and reported it and been told (by the worst customer service rep I've ever spoken to) that unless I've had problems for three months I can't end my contract until it expires in August (I've been with them for 20 years but I took a fixed term deal last year). Even when I asked to escalate the issue he was telling me that they'd only agree with him and it was pointless raising a complaint. Virgin have been getting steadily worse over the last few years but this really takes the biscuit - I'll be leaving them no matter what now.

I tried that but was flatly told I didn't have a leg to stand on and would have to wait out my contract - the call-handler was extremely rude and aggressive, continually talking over me despite me politely asking him not to repeatedly. Ultimately told him I'd be complaining about him as well to which he replied "Well I'm their top performer and have been here for five years so I'm not worried about a complaint". I really do hope they recorded that one.

Last edited:
Associate
I would leave VM but I don't pay the bill. I do however like the BB speed, not bothered if it's capped at certain times and I download during the night.

Just do yourself a favour and check the utilisation in your area before you sign up to anything - when it's bad, it's REALLY bad.

Back
Top Bottom