• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Volta with GDDR6 in early 2018?

Soldato
If consoles supported kb + mouse I would be all over one and just get a cheap pc for browsing but I can't see it happening as all the moaners will be complaining about unfair advantage for multi player

Soldato
I have thought about a ps4 pro tbh and although you can get the mod for keyboard and mouse I would like proper support and games that use them.

Who needs a £600 card to play Fifa or a driving game but fps games are just sad with a controller and the aim assist is just another word for no skills.

Soldato
I have thought about a ps4 pro tbh and although you can get the mod for keyboard and mouse I would like proper support and games that use them.

Who needs a £600 card to play Fifa or a driving game but fps games are just sad with a controller and the aim assist is just another word for no skills.
I tried the spiitfish for the ps3 and it was a bit hit and miss, but I did try the wii for first person shooters and whilst the first games were not very good later when devs got the hang of it moh and conduit were very good to play with the wii motion control and I was hoping sony and Microsoft would pick up on it but its seems they just cant move on from the ancient pad

Soldato
All Sony and Microsoft have to do for they're next consoles is give the games mouse and keyboard support. If the Scorpio and PS5 or whatever it will be called can really run native 4k 60 at a cost of about £500 - £600 then mid-range and below for PC gaming is dead. Especially now that top end cards are so ridiculously priced. I have already said to my lad that the days of his free upgrades are numbered as I will be going Scorpio if they can pull off the 4k 60FPS with KB & Mouse support. My current PC will be fine for internet etc.... and the crazy thing is....WE are to blame for it all for buying overpriced cards. :(

I think this situation is another victim of price inflation and weak sterling value. It affects things eventually and components for high end cards are not made in UK, its all imported and so price gets worse for us with that.
The consoles only appear good to start, the games cost more and the constant subscription also is why they want to undercut other choices on that initial purchase decision. They have always done things this way, the competition is most obvious on first months of a console generation.

However expensive the very top end PC gear is at first release, it filters down. It'll be slower to come mainstream affordability if the numbers purchased globally are lower but eventually PC will come round and look fine in comparison.

Put it this way, the Console design for their technology has veered closer to PC designs then we have gone towards their way of doing thing

Associate
I'm just waiting for the 2080 series I think, will check a few benchmarks and if it's a considerable upgrade from my Asus strix 1080 then I'll treat myself.

Associate
I miss consoles. Back when I was oblivious to how to modify games and import save files, where you had to earn everything and there were no difficulty sliders. Consoles offered true escapism. PCs are more versatile, but it comes with a cost.

Soldato
Having just SLI'd my Titan Xp's I'm defo not going to jump on the first cards released!

Probably wait until the ti or Titan versions

My wallet will thank me

Your wallet will thank you? you "just" Bought another Titan XP - at a grossly over inflated price compared to the 1080Ti. And you're talking of doing it again next gen. I think your wallet doesn't thank you very much.

Associate
Your wallet will thank you? you "just" Bought another Titan XP - at a grossly over inflated price compared to the 1080Ti. And you're talking of doing it again next gen. I think your wallet doesn't thank you very much.

Probably a used Titan XP (capital 'P') not the £1200 Titan Xp.

Soldato
Caporegime
Associate
https://videocardz.com/69504/sk-hynixs-updated-memory-catalog-features-hbm2-and-gddr6

https://www.skhynix.com/static/filedata/fileDownload.do?seq=421

SK Hynix databook updated Q2 2017 found 2 GDDR6 parts listed 12 and 14Gbps. 3 weeks ago SK Hynix announced 16Gbps GDDR6 for 384 bit schedule to launch in Q1 2018 so these both 12 and 14Gbps GDDR6 schedule to launch in Q4 2017 are obviously 256 bit reserved for Volta GTX 2070 and GTX 2080. :)

To put it in perspective:

256-bit at 14 Gbps = 448 GB/s bandwidth

That's pretty impressive for 256-bit.

Though I wonder if this is enough for 4K60. We haven't had the chance to see any 600+ GB/s cards yet, to see if extreme memory bandwidth really makes a big difference at current compute power.

Volta might also have better memory efficiency though too.

Man of Honour
OP

Though I wonder if this is enough for 4K60. We haven't had the chance to see any 600+ GB/s cards yet, to see if extreme memory bandwidth really makes a big difference at current compute power.

Yes we have and they are very fast.:)

Uw8h1Xy.jpg

Caporegime

The 2080ti and Tian Volta will use a 384bit interface though, Hynix talked about 768Gbps

Back
Top Bottom