HP Microserver+XPEnology

Soldato
Hi all,

So i upgraded incorrectly to v6.0 and need to downgrade. However, to follow this: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13288 I need to SSH into the box. This is where is goes a bit mad.

When attempting to connect via SSH I get 'unexpected end of file' and it won't le t me log in. The 'admin' account is disabled, and because the shares are unmounted, I can't re-enable it. SO i only have 'my' account which has root access....but that isn't letting me in via SSH through FileZilla.

I really want to downgrade, so I can get my files back, but unsure how to proceed without have the correct access rights.

All help greatly appreciated!

Soldato
fantastic - thanks very much Blizzard - much appreciated - will go and take a look

I just want stable and not really interested in many features - am I good just to go for 5.2 ? or will 5.2 not be security patched moving forward ? (if needed ?)

thanks

You can run with the latest DSM 5.2 version using the first link. Upgrading to the latest security patch (NOT full upgrade to DSM 6) DSM 5.2-5967 Update 2 will give you the stable 5.2 that runs on my setup 24/7 and has for months now.

Once Quicknix has released version 2.3 of the new DSM 6 loader, this should allow us to update to DSM 6 with driver support and no issues.

The other option is to wait for quicknix version as I think it is only a few days away from release and then start with that one on DSM6 with the ability to start with a BTRFS formatted drives as DSM 5.2 only supports EXT4 as the filesystem.

Soldato
Hi all,

So i upgraded incorrectly to v6.0 and need to downgrade. However, to follow this: http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13288 I need to SSH into the box. This is where is goes a bit mad.

When attempting to connect via SSH I get 'unexpected end of file' and it won't le t me log in. The 'admin' account is disabled, and because the shares are unmounted, I can't re-enable it. SO i only have 'my' account which has root access....but that isn't letting me in via SSH through FileZilla.

I really want to downgrade, so I can get my files back, but unsure how to proceed without have the correct access rights.

All help greatly appreciated!

I havne't got any experience of this, but you would be better of posting on the forums as there are people who can help you.

Other option is to wait to Quicknix version 2.3 of the new loader which will enable full DSM 6 use and upgrading the boot image to this should allow your drives to mount.

Soldato
You can run with the latest DSM 5.2 version using the first link. Upgrading to the latest security patch (NOT full upgrade to DSM 6) DSM 5.2-5967 Update 2 will give you the stable 5.2 that runs on my setup 24/7 and has for months now.

Once Quicknix has released version 2.3 of the new DSM 6 loader, this should allow us to update to DSM 6 with driver support and no issues.

The other option is to wait for quicknix version as I think it is only a few days away from release and then start with that one on DSM6 with the ability to start with a BTRFS formatted drives as DSM 5.2 only supports EXT4 as the filesystem.

fantastic - thanks :)

I've just installed 5.2-5967 on one of my HPs as a test - was very quick and I'm VERY impressed

thanks for the help

Soldato
I havne't got any experience of this, but you would be better of posting on the forums as there are people who can help you.

Other option is to wait to Quicknix version 2.3 of the new loader which will enable full DSM 6 use and upgrading the boot image to this should allow your drives to mount.

Great - thank you! NOt urgent, so will wait for v2.3 :)

Associate
The drives in the other microservers are connected to the raid card and DSM will see them fine. Don't think you'd need to even add the card as a pass-through device as it's compatible with ESXi.

Yes, but he also had it so that one powered the main unit, the second powered the hdd in the other 2 units, and the third wasnt even powered.
And by powering up the first, it triggered the PSU in the second.
That's the bit I dont get. The rest I could probably eventually do if I had the sas card

That's why if they were still here and could make a tutorial, it would be great.
Or if someone ekse who knows what they are doing and can make one, would be appreciated ;)

Soldato
I'm moving from a Dell T20 which is running DSM 6.0 to a HP Microserver primarily so I have more choice of CPU upgrades.

Can I simply unplug the USB drive, move the discs over and carry on as before? Am I likely to run in to any issues?

Associate
Yes, but he also had it so that one powered the main unit, the second powered the hdd in the other 2 units, and the third wasnt even powered.
And by powering up the first, it triggered the PSU in the second.
That's the bit I dont get. The rest I could probably eventually do if I had the sas card

That's why if they were still here and could make a tutorial, it would be great.
Or if someone ekse who knows what they are doing and can make one, would be appreciated ;)

The key part here is the PSU extension/splitter cable. Google "atx psu dual splitter". What you are after is an ATX PSU cable, with an extra two wires coming off it and an additional ATX connector on the end. The extra connector can be connected to the PSU of a slave Micro server, triggering the slave PSU to power up when the master server is powered on.
I then ran a basic molex extension cable from the slave PSU into the third Microserver to power the drives.

Associate
Thanks for the reply darkblade.

So does this only work with modular PSUs?

And if you system is still up and running, and not tucked away in the bowels of a cupboard, and chance of a few photos on inside each system?

Associate
Thanks for the reply darkblade.

So does this only work with modular PSUs?

And if you system is still up and running, and not tucked away in the bowels of a cupboard, and chance of a few photos on inside each system?

The adapter cable connects between the existing ATX power cable of the PSU and the socket on the motherboard. In the middle of a house move at the moment, so photos are a no go I'm afraid.

Associate
Guys need some help..

Have an HP gen8 microserver running Xpenology.. has been working fine for past few years...

Now yesterday I stupidly went to update and click the wrong button and it tried to update online and bricked the install.. no worries I will start a fresh..

So i downloaded the newest image file.. booted from usb and applied all the patches. Problem I have is I cant seem to create a new volume or group of drives..

I click new then go through the options and just as i get to the last screen i get a popup saying "connection failed, please check your network settings" and then the apply button to set-up the volume greys out..

anyone come across this before? I have trawled the net for the past 2 hours trying to find a solution but nothing.

Associate
have any of you guys got experience with USB3.0 cards in a microserver? Fed up with USB2 transfer speeds when doing external backups!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom