HP Microserver+XPEnology

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

How much does a USB3 card cost? Why not put that money towards a Gen8 (£120)?

Associate
Hi All,

Don't really want to create a new thread so was wondering if people in here could help.

Currently playing about with xpenology, this is currently sat on a VM using Hyper V.

The issue i'm having is that it doesn't really seem to be seeing the disks correctly. DISK1 has xpenology installed on it, its a 5GB fixed size disk. It currently says that there's 300MB left on the volume. The pat file is only 200MB, however I thought maybe it was heavily compressed? I've added another 5GB disk, and again it states there's 349MB available. The storage manager knows there 5GB disks but only allocates 350MB?

These are both fixed VHD disks.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Swain90

Associate
Hi All,

Don't really want to create a new thread so was wondering if people in here could help.

Currently playing about with xpenology, this is currently sat on a VM using Hyper V.

The issue i'm having is that it doesn't really seem to be seeing the disks correctly. DISK1 has xpenology installed on it, its a 5GB fixed size disk. It currently says that there's 300MB left on the volume. The pat file is only 200MB, however I thought maybe it was heavily compressed? I've added another 5GB disk, and again it states there's 349MB available. The storage manager knows there 5GB disks but only allocates 350MB?

These are both fixed VHD disks.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers

Swain90

Here's the partition table for my system using 2x 2TB disks:

/dev/md0 2.3G 804M 1.4G 37% /
none 3.9G 4.0K 3.9G 1% /dev
/tmp 3.9G 792K 3.9G 1% /tmp
/run 3.9G 6.4M 3.9G 1% /run
/dev/shm 3.9G 12K 3.9G 1% /dev/shm
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md2 1.8T 1014G 771G 57% /volume1

md0 is the OS which is currently using ~800MB. There's a few other system partitions too. You'll need to assign the VM a much bigger disk to give you some usable shared volume space. Also when you add another disk the OS will be mirrored to the second disk for redundancy, which again will be using most of the 5GB.

Soldato
I notice on the xpenology site the disclaimer about data loss. Is this a real concern or no more than any other nas software?
If you stay within a stable version, one that has been out for a while then no its not a problem. I've been on version DSM 6.1-15047 Update 2 since the 23/03/2017 and its fine. Moving to newer releases of DSM sometimes causes the OS partition to screw up leading to it not booting.. Generally your data is not affected, but it can become awkward as you have to follow the detailed instructions to remove the partitions and then reinstall without loosing the data.

Soldato
I was going to try and put on 6.1 over the next day or two - updating from 5.2-5644 Update 3. Anyone had any luck with this? It seems xpenoboot needs a bit of tinkering with VID and PID on the USB stick which I don't remember ever having to do before...

Soldato
From what I understand Synology made some security updates which required the VID/PID to be correct otherwise you get an error 13 on installation... Also be aware, that you might need to completely wipe the drives to install 6.1 as they made some changes to the structure... I'm still on an earlier 6.1 release as I'm not sure what will happen if I do the update!

Soldato
Ok, I'll try Juns 1.01 boot loader as per instructions on website. Just treid 1.02 and find.synology.com wouldn't find the Gen8 - but I did not change the SN or MAC in the default config as I don't use synology stuff.
Did you iuse the Extra.lzma ramdisk??

Back
Top Bottom