HP Microserver+XPEnology

Associate
Are most people running this on bare metal or going down the Vm route? I think I'll do bare metal but I also have a lot of vmware experience and quite like the idea of abstracting slightly as it gives a few more options of leveraging the box fully. I know vms are supported under xpenology itself too, and I'm assuming docker. I'll do some more reading, but im curious to see what the common route with the microserver is

Soldato
I run on bare metal - have no choice really as I have zero experience with virtual machines and haven't the time or resources to learn.

Basically, I've plugged it in, installed DSM and it does what I want it to (Nas and Plex)

Associate
So I've just completely messed up my xpenology trying to upgrade and of course i didn't back up my data. (just loads of DVDs). Anyone know of a way of getting the SHR back into a clean install of DSM with out wiping all the data off the drives? It's 3 x 3TB. I've got linux running off usb on it and i can see the array still exists but can't seem to find a way to browse it ( using mdadm)

Any ideas?

Soldato
There is a thread on the main forums showing how to just wipe the os partition data from each drive, allowing you to create the partitions and reinstall a version that you want.... Can't verify the actual performance but I know others have stuffed up and fixed it.

Associate
There is a thread on the main forums showing how to just wipe the os partition data from each drive, allowing you to create the partitions and reinstall a version that you want.... Can't verify the actual performance but I know others have stuffed up and fixed it.

I've have a looks for it if my current idea doesn't work.

I read that if I set up a Xpenology server with a blank HDD in SHR and get it to the same version as my old one and then swap the blank drive for the 3 working drives it should ask to migrate the data.

Can anyone confirm?

Soldato
That could work, install the OS on to a new drive, install the old ones once you have a volume created and then repair the dsm installation on the older drives thus leaving them at parity with hte new drive... after which you can pull the new hdd out if you want.

Associate
That could work, install the OS on to a new drive, install the old ones once you have a volume created and then repair the dsm installation on the older drives thus leaving them at parity with hte new drive... after which you can pull the new hdd out if you want.

My plan didn't work :( having a look for that post in the main forum you mentioned. Almost at the I've spent to much time phase and might as well just start again.

Might even just get a copy of windows server and install that on the gen8 or in vmware and use drivepool.

Soldato
To be honest if you're not going to use a spanned pooling system, such as mdadm that synology uses for its raid system, you'll be better off using unraid in my opinion. Windows and drivepool is great, except there is no parity built in and you have to use parity addons which are not that easy or effective to use.

Associate
To be honest if you're not going to use a spanned pooling system, such as mdadm that synology uses for its raid system, you'll be better off using unraid in my opinion. Windows and drivepool is great, except there is no parity built in and you have to use parity addons which are not that easy or effective to use.

Well I've given up trying to recover the data. Looks like i'll be ripping my DVDs again. Currently have 3 x 3tb drives and want a bit of redundancy in case one dies. Got xpenology 6.1 up and running now, would i gain much by going unraid?

Soldato
Well I've given up trying to recover the data. Looks like i'll be ripping my DVDs again. Currently have 3 x 3tb drives and want a bit of redundancy in case one dies. Got xpenology 6.1 up and running now, would i gain much by going unraid?
Unraid has a couple of advantages; it doesn't span the data so each drive is self contained and can be pulled and read on any other machine, it is a product rather than a hack so support is there and its designed to run on any hardware, has a built in hypervisor for running VMs within the unit, supports docker ... main drawbacks are speed as you're confined to a single device streaming data rather than multiple drives at the same time, parity is contained on a separate dedicated hdd so speed can be more limited depending on the device, doesn't have iSCSI support.

I use xpenology right now, and will continue to do so but I'd not be unhappy with unraid if I moved to it.

Associate
Hi I could do with some help. Came to the device tonight and couldn't get to the main synology page, i just got "Sorry, the page you are looking for is not found". I could still access the device via SSH and SMB so I did a reboot thinking that would cure it. No services are now starting, I can access it via SSH only.

Checking the logs, no update has happened since 6.1 v5

/var/log/synoupdate.log
start critical update to buildnumber: 15152 original smallfixnumber: 5 new_smallfixnumber: 6 build date: 2017/10/03

/var/log/upstart/synoscgi.log
/usr/syno/sbin/synoscgi________________________________________________________: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libsynoshare.so.6: invalid ELF header

root@Synology-NAS:/var/log# synoservice --status DSM
service [DSM] status=[error]
required upstart job:
[synoscgi] is stop.
=======================================

Any thoughts on how to recover?

Soldato
Are you using an AMD or Intel based device? I believe all I had to do was upgrade the loader to the latest version 1.02b or something, let it boot up and then install the correct PAT file for the loader, I'm using it virtualised so I can't recall if I added another virtual drive to the VM first (disconnecting the passthrough in the process), let that update and then reintroduced my data drives back in, let them update again and then pulled the virtual drive that wasn't being used to load the image.

Back
Top Bottom