HP Microserver+XPEnology

Associate
Hi guys, new to this thread.

I've been running Xpenology for 2 years and haven't dared do an update.

Is it worth doing an update at this time?

I'm finding that Sickbeard is increasingly letting me down and it simply will not get episodes that are missed meaning I'm needing to do it manually.

I actually just cancelled my newsdemon sub for the first time in 2 years as the server had stopped bringing in most of my series despite being subbed to dognzb and one other decent one.

Mp4

Mp4

Soldato
Cheers Andarial.

Going to try and use this bloody server now :( been well over a year & half and its been in its box since i bought it!

If anyones local to Eastbourne & wants a project to install this let me know :D

Soldato
I'm currently still running 5.1-5022 Update 5.

Should I be updating to 5.2-5967? And if so, is it ok to just do this from within Control Panel, using Update Now? Or do you need to go through all the new boot image stuff?

It's ages since I originally set this up and I totally haven't kept up to date with things.

Soldato
You'll need to grab the latest bootloader as this contains the patches for the security Synology employ to stop this sort of thing. Once done, then you can update to the latest 5.2 install; although I think if you use VPN then it doesn't quite work... The forum has more of what doesn't work!

Soldato
Haha, I can't do that easily as mine is rackmounted in a case that isn't on sliders... yet, waiting for the final bits for my SM 836TQ SAS2 case then I can run that on sliders... but still will run the usb internally as this method seems to work quite well for the moment.

Soldato
My volume 1 has crashed. Is there any way to fix a drive which is 'crashed' and get it working again?

Volume 1 is just a single drive (no redundancy etc). I believe it has simply crashed because it is full.

I can still read everything on the drive so no problems there. But I can't delete anything, as apparently it's all marked as read-only now?

There's nothing critical on the drive, which is why it's not part of an array and I'm happy that I could begin a long backup/restore process if needed. But if there's any way to get the volume working again, I'd rather not have the hassle of transfer times to restore the contents.

Any suggestions?

Associate
Hiya

Just did the upgrade this weekend from 4493 to 5697.1

Went flawlessly, just copied the serial no over to the sys.cfg file on the new usb boot stick, then the migrate manager asked me for DSM , which I took 5.2 from the synology website.

Is that what I should have done ?

R

Mehul

Soldato
Hi guys, new to this thread.

I've been running Xpenology for 2 years and haven't dared do an update.

Is it worth doing an update at this time?

I'm finding that Sickbeard is increasingly letting me down and it simply will not get episodes that are missed meaning I'm needing to do it manually.

I actually just cancelled my newsdemon sub for the first time in 2 years as the server had stopped bringing in most of my series despite being subbed to dognzb and one other decent one.

I prefer Sonarr over Sickbeard - maybe worth trying it, similar principles but seems to handle things better. Heavier on CPU though.

I'd recommend 2-3 indexers, a main server account (I use Astra), along with a block account (Tweaknews here) or two as a backup if issues encountered with incompletes.

Soldato
My volume 1 has crashed. Is there any way to fix a drive which is 'crashed' and get it working again?

Volume 1 is just a single drive (no redundancy etc). I believe it has simply crashed because it is full.

I can still read everything on the drive so no problems there. But I can't delete anything, as apparently it's all marked as read-only now?

There's nothing critical on the drive, which is why it's not part of an array and I'm happy that I could begin a long backup/restore process if needed. But if there's any way to get the volume working again, I'd rather not have the hassle of transfer times to restore the contents.

Any suggestions?

Anyone got any suggestions before I pull the plug, remove the drive and start restoring from backup?

Soldato
Have you tried booting in to a Linux pen drive and accessing the drive from there? Is it is just a simple ext4 drive with no special RAID feature attached (I'm assuming so as you state its a single drive).

If it is part of a raid array (for whatever reason and cat proc/mdstat via cli will tell you) then this command may make it read / write

mdadm --readwrite /dev/mdN - where N is the raid array number indicated from mdstat above.

Soldato
Well that was all gobbledygook to me :)

I roughly follow what you were saying, but no I've not tried any of that and yes I believe it is just a simple ext4 drive.

If I put it in an external caddy, should I be able to access or reformat it that way?

Just in the process of moving the data over to another drive now. So once that's compete I'm hoping I can just wipe it and then try reformatting it to see if it's recognised as 'normal' again.

Soldato
Can XPEnology be run inside windows or can i add the features to windows ?
Im currently using plex but I want to get more out of my setup, I don't use XPEnology or freenas because i don't know how to use linux beyond the simple tasks.

Back
Top Bottom