2017 Chilli Growing - feel the burn!

Soldato
WOW! Should have chopped their tops off a long time ago to encourage them to bush out a bit more. That middle one is huge but it will not yield any chillies (very few if it does) on the lower part of the plant. If you don't want to chop the tops off the larger ones then do it on the smaller ones. You will see bushier, more manageable growth within a week.

I'm going to have to do something tomorrow as the biggest are now up against the ceiling and the Mrs is starting to tell me off!

I have my first reaper growing though, the flowers seem to be lacking pollen.

20170616_184453_zps9pj3mbdr.jpg

Soldato
OP
Got back after a week and the chilli plants had almost deceased.. water and chilli focus applied and they look to be recovering.. lots of fruits :D

Soldato
My chillies have been very slow this year - just potted them up and looks like they are moving - got two flowers so far out of 9 plant's.

Will get a picture when it stops raining - wonderfull rain - doing garden a world of good.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Mine are doing similarly, which is odd. Last year I had fruit by early June, this year I have buds but only a few flowers starting to come through and no fruit visible. I'm wondering if by not topping them i've delayed fruiting?

Soldato
A few chillies but more sweet peppers this year (still have dried and frozen chillies in abundance from last year), plus some parsley grown from seed at the front.

4KDMm3Ol.jpg

The rest of the greenhouse

lV7hSuCl.jpg

Aubergines in the pots, one cucumber at the back right of the bed, then the rest are tomatoes

Soldato
My chillies have been very slow this year - just potted them up and looks like they are moving - got two flowers so far out of 9 plant's.

Will get a picture when it stops raining - wonderfull rain - doing garden a world of good.

I had a couple of plants that didn't grow at all for almost 2 months. They've perked up now though after the warm spell last week.

Soldato
OP
Picked up a cheap chilli "La Bomba" plant from B&Q, it's about 30cm high, are there any rules I should be following for it?

Jalapeños are relatively resilient. I've grown them before. Don't over water is the main thing as they don't like roots always sat in water (rot).

I typically give them some water with chilli focus in but once a week or so I will 'dunk' the pots (but so the water doesn't break the surface of the soil) so that the pot sits in water for about 5-10 mins. Then let the pot drain for a further 5-10 minutes. I have my plant outside in the sun all day but 30cm may be a little too hot all day without a bigger pot and more roots to access more water.

Soldato
Thanks NickK, noted about the over watering, didn't realise about that (aside from the usual over watering).

Is getting chilli focus an absolute must? I only have the one chilli plant (plus 8 or so tomatoe and 8 or so runner bean plants) to look after?

What do you mean by "30cm may be a little too hot all day...." ??

Back
Top Bottom