2017 Chilli Growing - feel the burn!

Soldato
Some are indoors and some are outdoors.

However, based on my location, I can't remember the last time I saw a ladybird. :D

I guess I keep giving them a thorough soaking every couple of days until I win.
The annoying thing is, the affected leaves curl up so much, they form a cocoon, ideal for aphids to hide from spray, so I try to gently unfurl the cocoon and often break the spine of the leaf.
I'm probably doing more damage than the aphids :(

Soldato
I used a spray bottle with the nozzle set to stream and blasted them off every day. Eventually the numbers dwindled to next to nothing. I found the soapy water did nothing to stop them coming back, so just had to physically remove them.

Soldato
Soapy water is certainly killing them (eventually), the day after soaking, I can see dead black aphids, however I'm just really confused as to where the live ones keep coming from.
I'm on the 7th floor.... on a balcony. It's not like they have access to any other plants and soil other than the ones I'm treating.
:confused:
Oh well.....

Soldato
Got a few chillis growing for the first time now.

They have just started to show their second set of leaves so i think I need to repot them in something a touch larger.

I have about 8 going at once in one smallish pot.

Soldato
You could do with potting them all up individually before the roots get too tangled.

Yeah I've repotted them all now. I left them in greenhouse for a day and it was too hot and they wilted. So I've brought em inside and they have perked up again.

Just put them outside for a bit of morning sunshine.

They are becoming precious to me haha.

Soldato
I really need to invest in some sort of greenhouse for mine. They're starting to take over the porch and the missus is complaining already. I even reduced the amount I was growing this year to keep her happy! I've just moved mine onto bigger pots this last weekend.

Soldato
OP
bug spraying the little gits.. spray I'm using is safe to eat the same day (basically suffocates them) but they've been looooving the sunny outdoors :D although I bring them in overnight.

Soldato
My Carolina reapers are doing quite well, is there any way of restricting their height though as I am running out of room for them!

20170529_104643_zpsxel0dwxj.jpg

Soldato
I planted the large ones on the 29th of January, I used a terrarium heater to keep them warm until they were an inch tall.

Did they germinate? "Grace" the original plant I had overwintered but then life got on top of everything. The remaining seeds got thrown during a house move with the now wife.

Nope, didn't manage anything, I have 2 left. I'm debating whether I should try a different approach, Ie the cold start then into some warm peat
Was looking at the rooting compounds thinking if I can just get one to spark into life that may help with the chemicals

Soldato
My Carolina reapers are doing quite well, is there any way of restricting their height though as I am running out of room for them!

20170529_104643_zpsxel0dwxj.jpg

WOW! Should have chopped their tops off a long time ago to encourage them to bush out a bit more. That middle one is huge but it will not yield any chillies (very few if it does) on the lower part of the plant. If you don't want to chop the tops off the larger ones then do it on the smaller ones. You will see bushier, more manageable growth within a week.

Soldato
I had to chop the tops off ALL my chili plants due to aphid attack and all the leaves and stem being curled and stunted.
I hope all the new growth I'm seeing on mine can produce. I'd be very unhappy if not :(

Back
Top Bottom