2017 Chilli Growing - feel the burn!

Soldato
OP
Is getting chilli focus an absolute must? I only have the one chilli plant (plus 8 or so tomatoe and 8 or so runner bean plants) to look after?

Not really but I found that tomato food is too rich and baby bio seems to kill more things in my hands. Chilli Focus does work really well though. However if it's a new plant and repotted it's likely to have enough in the soil anyway. Chilli plants evolved in areas without much nutrients and varied water.

What do you mean by "30cm may be a little too hot all day...." ??

Younger plants may not survive in blazing hot conditions because they don't have enough roots to absorb enough water. So keep an eye out on it.

If it does dry out - dunk in water and leave for 20 mins, take out and drain - then leave it for a couple of hours away from the sun. Mine have looked dead but revived before so try to revive it before condemning it!

Soldato
OP
zOJX8iDXzM5ziJxWLxoOdOldpnRrISlbXHDXHJ1WmBXNsx_jMsimpRzRqMXscEFtINT5-6NZGm0NrkV2k7HHIir1Otsa2sgsl6C8=w1680-h1050-no

Soldato
Here is a challenge for someone. I go to Korea every year and with meals we often have a large green chilli called 오이 고추 (cucumber chilli). The best way I can describe it is like a long sweet pepper with a kick. It is normally eaten by dipping in chilli paste or on its own. It has a great sweet taste and slightly increasing spice towards the top. It is very easy to eat. I have yet to find this chilli in the UK. There are a lot of similar looking chillies but they aren't the same.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
^^^ that white dot is the site of a fruit fly maggot :/ cut the pepper off the plant but looks like there's a couple of bigger exit holes.. so mental note next year to put some yellow card traps down early on in the season.

Soldato
Hi all,

My Scotch Bonnet seems to be healthy and covered in flowers but no fruit as of yet? A little Google has brought up suggestions I am not familiar with:

1. Poor pollination due to lack of bees or wind. Try shaking your plants or use an electric toothbrush to vibrate the flowers. You can use Qtip to spread pollen as well.
2. Drastic temperature changes from day to night. It's best to try to keep the temperature constant between 75-80 F.
3. Lack of certain nutrients, such as calcium or magnesium.
4. Too much nitrogen during bloom stage
5. Imbalanced pH
6. It could be due to over watering if you're growing in soil

I don't think 2 to 6 apply, but 1 is something I've not heard of before? I've been feeding them once a week with some Chilli Focus and my other plants, a Jalapeno and Apache, are doing great and are covered in fruit.

UTEPfUj.jpg

XQtgPFi.jpg

Do I need to do the shake to pollinate them?

Cheers

Soldato
I started to get issues with aphids so i spent 2 hours yesterday blasting each plant individually in the shower with the shower head.

Going out for some bug killer today so will treat them but now i appear to be aphid free.

Have about 20 Reaper pods growing now. Had 1 turn red last week and my colleague tried it.

He washed it down with a 4 pinter of semi-skimmed!

Soldato
Mine are starting to look good..
cXBRhsx.jpg
pcQzqSN.jpg

Lots of Basket of Fires growing and plenty of Habaneros too which are all starting to ripen. I've got a few Jalapenos and Cayennes growing well too. Unfortunately, still no flowers on my Tabasco plants. I thought they'd do well this year as I've moved house and have the perfect place for them now.

Soldato
Anyone growing kashmiri mirch chillies? I'm thinking about trying to grow some next year as they are hard to find and cost a fortune. Hoping they are not too hard to grow being a mild chilli.

Soldato
Some of mine were drooping the other day so potted a few up and they were water logged - soil was JI number three and was rubbish - seem better now and I found I was watering them to much.

I have a small paint brush next to chillies and tickle the flowers when they come out. - seems to work as got loads of fruit - No where near red yet though.

Soldato
Just been out to greenhouse to water mine - looked at one plant that is slow to fruit and found two nice chillies- touched one and it fell off - had a look and saw a hole - cut it open and got a grub in it - checked the other and that's got a hole in it - Checked all the rest and they seem OK.

Soldato
OP
Just been out to greenhouse to water mine - looked at one plant that is slow to fruit and found two nice chillies- touched one and it fell off - had a look and saw a hole - cut it open and got a grub in it - checked the other and that's got a hole in it - Checked all the rest and they seem OK.

Chilli (fruit) maggot/fly probably - same problem I had. Got more on the plant but will always get some if outdoors. My Trinidad has too many fruits.. the plants are too heavy now and in the wind the plants fall over, the Bhut stems snapped due to the weight of foliage too! Not used to the growth rate in the wild I suspect.

Soldato
Well all of mine are looking good now except the Tabasco plants. They are just refusing to flower at all and just keep trying to grow bigger. I've been pinching the tops off of the stems on both plants but it's not made any difference. I've no idea what I'm doing wrong with them as I can never seem to get Tabascos to fruit.

I did use my first Hab of the season though. I've got hundreds of those and Basket of Fires now! :D
sCFIjre.jpg

Associate
I've used the first couple of my Super Chillis and there are a few more starting to ripen. I'll probably have a glut of them soon.

I noticed that I've got an apache ripened as well now.

If only I could stop the dog pulling the cherry bombs off the plants... they'll never ripen!

Soldato
Gaaaa! I have plenty of chillies, but they're being so so slow at ripening. I haven't been able to pick one yet. They have never been this late before.

Back
Top Bottom