• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

@Gibbo - Vega Preorders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yet you've ignored the 2 people who've posted to correct you repeating the same nonsense :)
Any chance you could link to that as I haven't seen it.

To be honest I'm getting a bit tired of correcting people (does nobody read the thread before posting these days? lol) , but if you don't fight misinformation it can be quite dangerous.

Soldato
My post encompasses both relevant posts on the matter.

Ahh thanks, I hadn't seen that because you quoted one of the misinformation spreaders not me. Yes you're right Vega does perform similar to Fury, but this is the problem, the Vega 64 is going to have GTX1070 grade hashing performance, combined with double the power usage. This is why nobody is using the Vega FE for mining, because fro the same money and power draw you can buy a pair of GTX1070 and have double the performance.

To to reiterate my initial point, the relatively poor mining performance to power consumption of Vega (for it's price point) means no (competent) miners will be interested, not unless Nvidia runs out of stock, so I am happy to be able to relieve anybody's fears there. Which is a good thing because it means more card for games (I have a Freesync panel and don't mine on my gaming rig so looking forward to the Vega 64 ^^).

On an off topic note, it is kind of comical that before coming to check out the new posts on this forum I came from a mining forum where we were laughing at the FUD that any of us would want Vega cards for mining lol.

Caporegime
What Market share do you mean? I'm saying if loads of AMD cards are bought for mining it's not the same market so those sales won't help AMD's position in the gaming market. They may get short term sale boosts due to mining trends but when cards are not selling to miner's they find themselves back in the same position of having the minority share in gaming circles. Now if they can use some of the money made from the mining sales to increase the development budget that'll be good news in a couple of years time..

They'd eat into the gaming market i thought, as the cards thats are being bought for mining, are the same exact cards, that are being bought for gaming, so they'd be taking gaming share from Nvidia, as their GeForce cards, which are for gaming, would be losing sales to AMDs.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ahh thanks, I hadn't seen that because you quoted one of the misinformation spreaders not me. Yes you're right Vega does perform similar to Fury, but this is the problem, the Vega 64 is going to have GTX1070 grade hashing performance, combined with double the power usage. This is why nobody is using the Vega FE for mining, because fro the same money and power draw you can buy a pair of GTX1070 and have double the performance.

To to reiterate my initial point, the relatively poor mining performance to power consumption of Vega (for it's price point) means no (competent) miners will be interested, not unless Nvidia runs out of stock, so I am happy to be able to relieve anybody's fears there. Which is a good thing because it means more card for games (I have a Freesync panel and don't mine on my gaming rig so looking forward to the Vega 64 ^^).

On an off topic note, it is kind of comical that before coming to check out the new posts on this forum I came from a mining forum where we were laughing at the FUD that any of us would want Vega cards for mining lol.

You ignored the bulk of what we said. You also seem to be stuck in the mindset of knowing the Vega performance and power levels. For reference, although since you mention being on a mining forum I'm sure you already know, the 1070 mined like 5MH/s on release - then it became 22-25MH/s -- it's now sitting at 30+ (I get 30MH/s on Eth while dual mining, so I'm not even at full speed). I don't think we can take Vega FE week 1 mining performance as gospel - especially when, on paper, it should be a very effective miner.

Edit: To make my position clear. I'm not saying there's going to be a shortage due to miners, I'm saying that we don't really know what kind of performance we can really expect as to whether it's attractive or not. If there is an early stock shortage, I can say with utmost certainty that miners won't be to blame. A few months down the line, if it turns out the Vega is actually a solid mining card then we might see stock issues from it.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Seems the rumoured hash rate on VEGA is 70-100 per card, which is insanely good if true. :(

Trying to devise some kind of plan so gamers can get them at MSRP without the miners wiping all the stock out within 5 minutes of product going live.

Last edited:
Associate
One per customer sounds like a good idea. In fact, a limit of one Vega card of any type per customer would be great. Not many people will be going Crossfire with these, since AMD have been clear xfire on Vega is not really recommended.

Soldato
i think offering them to previous OCUK customers and forum members at 1 per customer should blot out most of the miners.

But won't your item ship the day reviews start to come out? So you might be "stuck with it" Personally I would want at least a week of reviews before laying down cash.

i already know what the product is going to be like as we have already seen the founders editions. looking forward to getting my mits on an rx vega under water and running it up against my 1080ti :)

Soldato
i think offering them to previous OCUK customers and forum members at 1 per customer should blot out most of the miners.

i already know what the product is going to be like as we have already seen the founders editions. looking forward to getting my mits on an rx vega under water and running it up against my 1080ti :)

The point is an FE card at £450. Good buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom