I'm considering VR

Permabanned
I enjoy FPS like FC5, Metro etc and also stuff like TW3, Shadow of Mordor, Tomb Raider.

You should enjoy Robo Recall that comes with it. FPS shooter with pistols on your hips and shotguns from over the shoulder. You really need to be standing to play this one.

I can recommend Doom 3 BFG and Alien Isolation as both have fantastic community VR mods available. I have grabbed a few games from Steam such as Battlezone VR and Dead Effect 2 VR but have yet to get the time to play.

I've had no issues with games from Steam using SteamVR and would suggest you purchase from Steam over Oculus where possible allowing you to switch hardware with ease in the future.

Associate
I thought roomscale was ********, and sitting experiences is where it is at. I like driving games, Elite: Dangerous, flight sims, etc. Oh, how wrong I was ... I wish I had more space to swish my arms around!

Associate
Go for it. About the price of a new console. I paid double the price and thought it was worth it. At this price it is a must have. Especially for someone who enjoys 1080ti's etc :) I have enjoyed the rift more than anything gaming for a long long time. More memorable gaming experiences in the last year than the previous 5 put together.

I thought the same as you, about the roomscale standing. That is actually why i went rift at the beginning, because the vives roomscale wasn't an attraction to me (reminded me of the wii). I had the headset for a while, then the touch came out. I had a punt at £200, never looked back. I just didn't realise it was this good.

Soldato
Get a VR headset. It's awesome, and no point in looking at videos or reading about it. No words can do it justice.

It's the best money that I have ever spent for my computer.

And, try to get enough space so you can stand. Believe me, when you first start playing Robo Recall and Rec Room you will be doing your best to get more space to play in!! Most people say they won't play any standing games, then once they get a taste of it, they change their tune pretty quick.

Associate
Bought a Rift last week. It's the most amazing piece of hardware I've ever owned, sure the resolution could be a little higher and both the sensors and headset could be wireless, but my god is it good! I love both seated games and room scaling games, I only have a 2 sensor setup and it needs adjusting, but I'm really happy with it so far. Buy either the Rift or Vive and enjoy!
If your not too botherd about room scaling and standing up experiences then get a Rift, you could always add sensors *WHEN* you decide that you want to play something else!

VR is incredible, and is here to stay

I only have a humble fx8350 and a r9-290, so far I haven't had a problem playing anything I have tried

Soldato
Waiting to see what these new headsets coming out in October are like. The lack of cameras/lighthouses is a reall appeal, along with the price obviously.

Soldato
I enjoy FPS like FC5, Metro etc and also stuff like TW3, Shadow of Mordor, Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider....http://tombraider-dox.com/

To get the demo running in VR just create a shortcut to the exe and add -vr to the target in the properties.

This was posted in r/vive last night, it's a Unreal remake of tombraider2. Just dropped out of playing it, the menu's are broken, but after a bit of guess work, the actual game is fine.

Warning though, in time old tradition of the early raiders, the camera is all over the place:) You'll need to dance is around on the second thumb stick a lot, which if you're not blessed with +10 resistance of the sickness, you may feel a little overcome. Then again, laura's more valuable assets have never looked so great, so you may consider it worth the hit:D

Soldato
OP
Waiting to see what these new headsets coming out in October are like. The lack of cameras/lighthouses is a reall appeal, along with the price obviously.

This is my concern. I've been buying higher end tech long enough to know that a 20% (£100) price drop funded by the manufacturer can only mean one of two things;

1. The product is gash.
  2. The product will be superseded soon.
Given the feedback here so far, I think option 1 can be ruled out. So now it's a question of should I wait, and if I do will it be worth it with regards to price and product improvement.

Anyone any thoughts on that?

Then again, laura's more valuable assets have never looked so great, so you may consider it worth the hit

Oh, I consider Lara worth the hit. :)

Associate
1. The product is great, biggest downside is the low resolution but computer performance also needs to catch up if resolution increases (at equivalent graphics fidelity of course).
2. Well, other headsets might be coming out in a bit (though I'm pretty sure any Rift or Vive user would be utterly surprised if these were actually better than their existing HMD), but Oculus at least isn't anywhere near ready to release a Rift 2.

I'm going to go with:

3: it's finally time to drop inflated launch prices, competition has increased and the product is starting to become more widespread.

Permabanned
This is my concern. I've been buying higher end tech long enough to know that a 20% (£100) price drop funded by the manufacturer can only mean one of two things;

1. The product is gash.
  2. The product will be superseded soon.
Given the feedback here so far, I think option 1 can be ruled out. So now it's a question of should I wait, and if I do will it be worth it with regards to price and product improvement.

Anyone any thoughts on that?

The biggest problem with VR uptake was the price, the Rift headset was £599 with the optional Touch controllers being £199. Now you can buy the bundle at a sale price of £399 until the 4th or £499 thereafter.

It's hard to imagine any new VR offerings being priced much less than £399 as Oculus have made a huge effort to increase the VR user base while the Oculus sensors are nothing more than £15 modded web cams. I don't think they could cut the price further for the headset and controllers.

At worst you will spend £100 more on a Rift bundle by waiting. Perhaps you will get a similar setup from an another vendor for ~£350.

Permabanned
I'm comfortable with the £399 price, I'm more concerned about the chances of the kit I do buy getting superseded within 6 months? Is that likely to happen?

Very unlikely as VR adoption has to increase. SteamVR should solve any compatibility issues. Any additional features (water proof, etc.) will be gimmicks for the foreseeable future.

w7Z1LxL.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I'm comfortable with the £399 price, I'm more concerned about the chances of the kit I do buy getting superseded within 6 months? Is that likely to happen?
Almost certainly not. Oculus does not have any new PC-connected headsets coming in the near future, nor does HTC. The Rift is very good hardware and should remain (along with the Vive) as the premier VR headset for quite a while. New headsets all seem to be focussed on the lower end of the market, giving a much more restricted experience than the Rift but costing less.

I have to echo what everyone else is saying; if you're thinking about a Rift, then get one.

Back
Top Bottom