The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
I also think it's personality based. @BennyC is clearly very goal focused and structured. I am clearly not as good at that :p

Thinking of it as a workout rather than a ride with goals for each interval helps. Zwift providing an environment where you can ride up X hill or over to Z at a given intensity makes it a bit less monotonous than just riding at a given power or HR. I have bad days too :p

Bit concerned my laptop isn't going to cut the mustard - it's only an i5/integrated graphics/6gb ram jobbie.

Worked fine on a 2010 MBP C2D with 4GB an integrated graphics, looked far from amazing though :D Now have an MBP i7 with 16GB RAM and dedicated GPU which does nicely and saves having a rig sat there in the garage not getting a great deal of use :cool: Check here:

https://zwiftalizer.com/benchmarks

Man of Honour
Can anyone recommend any of the Zwift programs? I know there's a lot on there and they all seem fairly similar. Just looking for some structured training to increase power/fitness. Not fussed on whether it's 4 or 12 weeks. Eventually I'll sign up to TrainerRoad but wouldn't mind making some use of Zwift first

Soldato
Can anyone recommend any of the Zwift programs? I know there's a lot on there and they all seem fairly similar. Just looking for some structured training to increase power/fitness. Not fussed on whether it's 4 or 12 weeks. Eventually I'll sign up to TrainerRoad but wouldn't mind making some use of Zwift first

Perhaps this? Find that site horrible though for providing a clear overview of volume and workout specifics!

TR have low, mid & high volume plans which cater for the amount of free time you have to ride. TSS is the ultimate measure though tends to correlate with rides per week: usually low is 3 , mid is 4-5 and high is 6+

Example of Low Volume "SweetSpot Base". Then you'd complete a "Build" phase of 4-6 weeks again and then a "Specialty" of around 4 weeks. Then repeat the "Base" again to capitalise on new found gains and establish new baseline :cool:

Rtthx5th.jpg

Soldato
*snigger* Bald Knob. hrhrhrhr

What other options would people recommend (direct drive any good for a similar budget?)
SNAP is good but also consider the Vortex smart, ideally both of them are so you can save money until you can get a PWM for the road AND a direct drive.

Are there any decent budget trainer options for a 700 wheel? Maybe up to £150.

Needs to be reasonably quiet, and would need a new back tyre to swap for the gravel jobbie currently fitted. Not bothered by "smart" options but a remote adjustment for resistance would be nice.

Edit - reading that it might matter but my rear end is disk braked. 145MM hub width.
Budget, look for a second hand Kurt Kinetic Road Machine or Rock n Roll. They're probably the best 'dumb' trainers, just don't consider the power module upgrades. InRide and the Smart Control are both garbage and a waste of money or time.

Push your budget a little and get the Tacx Flow (available from Decathlon & Halfords). It's an on wheel trainer with FE-C and Smart. Pretty much the cheapest smart trainer you can get! Don't forget BC discount either! :)

Surf around local Facebook groups for a dedicated rear wheel if that's also what you mean? Or ask your local LBS. You can get a new one for like £50-60. You can use old tyres until you can afford a dedicated trainer tyre, if your budget is £150 all in then you need to look at second hand trainers.

So took the plunge and ordered a Vortex, Ant+ dongle, USB extension cable. I used BC discount to get the Vortex for £270 delivered!
Good choice & deal! :)

Bit concerned my laptop isn't going to cut the mustard - it's only an i5/integrated graphics/6gb ram jobbie.
My old (10+ years) dual core C2D with 4gb ram ran it ok but it did have a dedicated gpu, an old 4670. It was't pretty but ran ok on lowest settings!

Soldato

Budget, look for a second hand Kurt Kinetic Road Machine or Rock n Roll. They're probably the best 'dumb' trainers, just don't consider the power module upgrades. InRide and the Smart Control are both garbage and a waste of money or time.

Push your budget a little and get the Tacx Flow (available from Decathlon & Halfords). It's an on wheel trainer with FE-C and Smart. Pretty much the cheapest smart trainer you can get! Don't forget BC discount either! :)

Surf around local Facebook groups for a dedicated rear wheel if that's also what you mean? Or ask your local LBS. You can get a new one for like £50-60. You can use old tyres until you can afford a dedicated trainer tyre, if your budget is £150 all in then you need to look at second hand trainers.

Wiggle are doing a Tacx Blue Matic, Tacx tyre and Tacx front wheel riser for a smidgen under 130 at the moment. Not sure if that's something worth looking at. The Blue Matic doesn't get bad reviews from what I've seen.

Soldato
Make sure you can try it out before you buy.
The advantage of using your own bike connected to a trainer is that it has flex and the experience mirrors that of being out in the real world. The Watt Bike type bikes experience is like putting a saddle on a brick wall and riding that.

Soldato
Wiggle are doing a Tacx Blue Matic, Tacx tyre and Tacx front wheel riser for a smidgen under 130 at the moment. Not sure if that's something worth looking at. The Blue Matic doesn't get bad reviews from what I've seen.
The Bluematic is not a FE-C/Smart trainer, it's what's known as a 'dumb' trainer. It'll not give you a power output, programs like Zwift/Trainer Road only able to estimate/calculate your power from Cadence & wheel speed. It has a manual 'resistance control' which means it cannot be controlled by computer (non FE-C) so things like Zwift can't increase resistance when you reach a climb.

The Tacx Flow Smart (Smart = power & FE-C) is around £100 more from Decathlon/Halfords but you can find them discounted as well as also using your 10% BC discount.

Found this regarding bike warranty being valid or not on a trainer, not sure if it's been discussed

http://road.cc/content/feature/2166...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Different frame manufacturers see it differently, it's worth checking. Think some like Trek specifically cover it, some kinda do (don't say no to claims) while others when pushed will not want to cover warranties if damage happens.

Personally I'll always use my aluminium Defy on the trainer, it handily avoids the issue! ;)

Soldato
Make sure you can try it out before you buy.
The advantage of using your own bike connected to a trainer is that it has flex and the experience mirrors that of being out in the real world. The Watt Bike type bikes experience is like putting a saddle on a brick wall and riding that.

The appeal in having a complete solution, rather than faffing about with turbos, and using existing bikes, was the main plus. And as some of the trainers I was looking at are around the £1000 mark, the Atom is 'just' an additional £500.

Soldato
Zwift route question.
When I select a course in Zwift to ride does it automatically make you follow the correct path to stay on course?

Soldato
Not that fussed about smart options, not sure I'll get them in my budget anyway.
If you want to get involved with Zwift/TR then a Smart & FE-C compatible trainer is almost compulsory these days. You can ride without but you miss 50% of the training & enjoyment!

I guess what I'm saying is, with a sale on the Flow & BC discount you should be able to find one new for £170-180ish, if that's still over your budget then looking second hand should pick you up a Vortex or similar within your budget.

If you want to buy a new dumb trainer (warranties etc) then the bluematic is a pretty safe bet, as is the Kurt Kinetic RM or RnR (as I mentioned previously - they're probably the best regarded with solid frames and large flywheels).

I'd probably recommend the second hand route for either, as there's lots of people upgrading this time of year for new models! :D

rather than faffing about with turbos, and using existing bikes, was the main plus
N+1? Or make use of an older bike you've otherwise neglected? :D

I think most people tend to have spare bikes, either using their summer bike or old favourite on the turbo so the wear & tear is all components they have the tools for or spares of already.

I know several with Wattbikes, equally they're the sort of people not interested in the data or things like Zwift, generally using their own plans/intervals/sessions.

Zwift route question.
When I select a course in Zwift to ride does it automatically make you follow the correct path to stay on course?
It should do but you'll still have the 'prompt' on screen so you can change direction if you wish. If you 'join' on another rider then you'll load whichever course they've chosen. If you join a race/group ride/event and ride before it you'll be following the course of the race chosen, but can change direction etc. When the ride starts then you'll be 'locked' into whichever course is set for it and unable to change direction until you finish.

Soldato
I set up my Neo trainer today. The only slight issue I have is the gear indexing is slightly off so I need to spend a little time sorting that.
I'm running Zwift through an iPad Pro with an Apple HDMI lead to pass to the TV and have the iPhone on the bike running Zwift remote. Each fan is remote control (on/off) so I can warm up and then switch them on when needed without having to get off the bike :)

I ca never get my index perfect on the Neo when swapping from the road wheel which is spot on. Guess it's due to the spacer and hub etc but it's a pain.

Soldato
I ca never get my index perfect on the Neo when swapping from the road wheel which is spot on. Guess it's due to the spacer and hub etc but it's a pain.

Similar here as I should have two identical cassettes but I used an extra shim on the NEO so it's slightly out towards the very small cogs. Perfect on the road though as I had to make myself learn (rather than just pay for a service) to fully adjust the front and rear to get it usable on both so not a bad thing really.

Soldato
Same here but on a Vortex - I couldn't get into my smallest rear cog last night even though my gears change like butter out on the road. Going to have to remember how much to turn the RD screw when changing from road to turbo and turbo to road and write it down on a post it note or something.

Back
Top Bottom