**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Soldato
nothing but praise for the new UX, and come Oreo, it can only get better.
That's a rather sweeping statement. I've read plenty of negatives around Samsung software on the aforementioned phones specifically around lag (which I've experienced first hand on my sister's S8) and bloat. Yes it's better but it sure isn't faultless.

Soldato
/edit MKBHD's selfie taken at the event looks pretty terrible if you ask me with that fake forced DoF, not sure if there are any better examples

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/915637439162605568/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/

I would disagree (as does MKBHD obviously), given as he said it was in poor lighting conditions, I assume quite dark where he's stood but with a very bright background (tough conditions for the best of cameras), I would say it looks very good. The only fault I can really see is his left shoulder and the right shoulder strap of his bag, which are both slightly hazy, but otherwise the bokeh looks good and is 'fitted' well around him.

Soldato
It just looks really fake, akin to the instagram fake DoF, without the dual cameras it's bound to happen, as you say might just be the setting though, need better examples.

Soldato
Maybe it's because I'm not an audiophile, but what do people have against Bluetooth headphones? I've been using them 2 or 3 years now and love not being tethered to the device.

Theres a very distinguishable difference in sound when using Bluetooth, even when using aptx. It's fine when travelling, but for home listening and times when I'm concentrating more on the music, it can be quite distracting.

It's like owning two different pairs of headphones, but not being able to chose which ones you're wearing.

Soldato
Android Oreo is against bluetooth headphones :D:D:D

Here here! :p

I'm going to give the factory reset a go this weekend, I know it's not going to do any good but at least when I retry the RMA with Google I can say I've done it.

The Note 8 is still haunting me, could end up buying it yet! Can all the bloatware on Samsung still be 'disabled' these days? If I knew I could rid of it i could maybe get by.

Soldato
See I don’t think it is. It’s only a good deal if the latest OS is a must the very day Google release it, otherwise the hardware itself doesn’t compete with LG/Samsung and the like. For £900 I expect a lot from a phone. £870 odd for the S8+ was an eyesore on its own, and that phone has a lot more in terms of hardware features and out of the box polish, even right now, 6 months on. But thankfully it's £100 cheaper so that's better.

Sorry Mrk i was just talking about the google photos storage. You dont get free unlimited original quality storage with any other android phones, only google's own. But the 100gb option is cheap enough now that it shouldnt be a sticking point. IMO, at least :). I dont disagree that the pixel two is poorly priced, not at all.

Soldato
Original Pixel XL 32GB available now for £399, or wait a few weeks, pay a fair chunk more, and get a Pixel 2 64GB (non-XL) for £629....

Thoughts from the Pixel cognoscenti please?

Soldato
Theres a very distinguishable difference in sound when using Bluetooth, even when using aptx. It's fine when travelling, but for home listening and times when I'm concentrating more on the music, it can be quite distracting.

It's like owning two different pairs of headphones, but not being able to chose which ones you're wearing.
Sums it up really. Can't beat wired where quality is concerned... For now that is. Plus wireless just costs more for similar quality and you have to keep them charged.

Soldato
Here here! :p

I'm going to give the factory reset a go this weekend, I know it's not going to do any good but at least when I retry the RMA with Google I can say I've done it.

The Note 8 is still haunting me, could end up buying it yet! Can all the bloatware on Samsung still be 'disabled' these days? If I knew I could rid of it i could maybe get by.

You'll hate it

Here's a curveball.......I've borrowed my dads old iphone and installed all the google apps on it. Even the assistant, and it works fine with my philips hue and nest. Begs the question what a Pixel can do that an iphone running all google apps can't

Original Pixel XL 32GB available now for £399, or wait a few weeks, pay a fair chunk more, and get a Pixel 2 64GB (non-XL) for £629....

Thoughts from the Pixel cognoscenti please?

remember the £50 free home mini

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
The biggest selling point of this phone for me is the 3 years of software updates. Here's why:

Google took a big gamble and mentioned the fact that software is their big focus, adding new and improved features through new updates etc. What that implies, however, is that you don't need to be buying new hardware to get features like the bokeh effect etc (obviously you need to have the hardware to enable such features).

The biggest problem thus far has been that you only get two major software updates, so for an average consumer, buying a year old model to help reduce costs, it was a little unfair that you'd only get one set of new features etc. Sure, most people don't keep their phone for more than two, but it inspires confidence, and also makes you feel like you're not forgotten.

It's why OnePlus struggled with their OnePlus 2, and why Nokia are already mentioning that every one of their current gen phones will get 2 years - even their budget device. The Motorola G5 will only get Oreo and that's it.

That's my two pence anyway

Soldato
Here's a curveball.......I've borrowed my dads old iphone and installed all the google apps on it. Even the assistant, and it works fine with my philips hue and nest. Begs the question what a Pixel can do that an iphone running all google apps can't
Interesting. Does Google photos work on iPhones and does it work in the same way on an android phone ( as in take photo and it's immediately available to view via chrome on a PC/Mac etc)?
If so that is indeed a curve ball!

Soldato
Those mentioning processor speeds versus the new iPhone CPU what are your references ? Just benchmarks or are apps and games performing better ?

My oneplus 3 is still as snappy and lag free as it was a year ago. Doesn't seem to be any new CPU intensive apps/games that test it

Have been interested in the pixel 2 like I was the iPhone but I can't justify the price just for a big camera upgrade . Hopefully get another year out of this :p

Can people not see the gap in the market for a mid range CPU and a top of the range camera :(

Associate
Interesting. Does Google photos work on iPhones and does it work in the same way on an android phone ( as in take photo and it's immediately available to view via chrome on a PC/Mac etc)?
If so that is indeed a curve ball!

I can't speak for all the gApps on iOS, but I can confirm the music app is somewhat broken on iOS - the search does not find my music a lot of the time. Performing an identical search on my S7 always finds the tracks that I want.

I also find gMaps on iOS a poorer equivalent than its Android counterpart.

That said the photos app seems fine so far.

Soldato
You'll hate it

The apps work better - chrome, Gmail, assistant built in to home button etc. It's just better. In every way. It works seamlessly. I found Apples 'eco system' dated when I tried an iPhone 7 for a few months. It's not just it's core functionality, but the way it works too. Material design is so much better, gestures work better on android. They're really clunky on iOS.

Can people not see the gap in the market for a mid range CPU and a top of the range camera :(

I think companies would worry that consumers would realise you don't need the best everything to get a great experience, just the best of things that matter the most, like battery life, camera, and display (maybe)

Last edited by a moderator:

the camera is powered by the CPU silly :p the pixel 2 takes many many shots each photo, then stitches them together, figures out the best way to make a super clean sexy image and shows it to you, all in a second. the speed it loads, the speed it takes a shot and the next, the next etc, depends on that fast CPU. the same as with slow mo, the 6P slow mo is rubbish because of the CPU, not the camera afaik

Back
Top Bottom