Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
sorry its probably me not knowing, i was hoping to find a camera that would automaticly see a subject and zoom in on them if they moved? and could move to look at my drive.

seemingly might not be worth it.. a big issue with my camera setup is they are so obvious, would dome cameras work?

Soldato
PTZ cameras are pointless unless you sit watching the cameras 24/7, so your essentially now a CCTV operator.

you want cameras you can set up and just leave rather than have to monitor and move them every single second of the day.

Most of the auto track so you dont need to manually move them. Common for them to also have facial recognision and ANR as well. Not cheap though.

Caporegime
how expensive we talking a decent hikvision camera is like £60 off aliexpress.

so 2 cameras should be more than enough for the front of any house. 1 pointing diagonally left the other diagonally right so they cover each other.

as for zooming in and automatically moving around i imagine those ones cost over £300 a pop? you could get a full home setup for that.

Soldato
Yes they are expensive, I was just pointing out that they arent pointless and you dont need watch them 24/7. Depends on the application and persons budget if they can be justified.

Caporegime
Yes they are expensive, I was just pointing out that they arent pointless and you dont need watch them 24/7. Depends on the application and persons budget if they can be justified.

if you live in a £400K+ house then probably easily justifiable. however they will consume more power too I imagine. do they work over POE?

Soldato
300 k house with a RS4, Range rover and other things on the drive

11 meter wide x 10 meter driveway

Untitled by Ross c, on Flickr

See i was thinking a nice moving camera on the end need the sky dish that and one where the existing one is at the front door.

Soldato
A single camera with the right lens by the drain pipe will get the whole of that...

I'd have that one pointing a bit further down to ensure front door coverage, then another under the sky dish pointing a bit higher to just ensure coverage to the end of the drive.

I still don't see the need for a PTZ.

Soldato
has anyone had the issue with cameras resetting themselves? had 2 remote cameras (hikvision) factory reset themselves
setup one of them again, a week later the same thing

Never heard of that one. I have 3 of my own Hikvision cameras, and have personally fitted hundreds at work over the last 3 or 4 years. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but if it was common, I'd have heard of it as the service department would constantly be getting calls. They must have fitted thousands of them by now.

Associate
Hey guys. I'm totally new to CCTV, but after having vehicles and such like vandalised a lot recently, looking to install a CCTV camera in front of the house. I'm looking for a single wired camera that can plug into a dvr recorder in my front room. Preferably one that can record in colour in day and black and white at night. 7ish meter range. Picture quality is most important, sound not required. Many thanks!

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
PTZ cameras are pointless unless you sit watching the cameras 24/7, so your essentially now a CCTV operator.

you want cameras you can set up and just leave rather than have to monitor and move them every single second of the day.

Depends what you want to use them for. For instance I am considering one to monitor my garden/grounds when the dogs are out and i'm indoors (My study upstairs has no visibility over the front of the house).

Soldato
Contact the seller you bought them of.

This is the reason I ditched my hacked firmware cams and went genuine. Sod all difference in money.

You can now buy genuine international cameras from the same sources in China, Firmware upgradeable too. I just bought some 2cd2142 fwd cams from there for £63each delivered. They came in the international box and have the international serial numbers too. About £35-40 cheaper than over here.

Soldato
You can now buy genuine international cameras from the same sources in China, Firmware upgradeable too. I just bought some 2cd2142 fwd cams from there for £63each delivered. They came in the international box and have the international serial numbers too. About £35-40 cheaper than over here.
Could you please trust me the supplier details? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom