Spec me a CCTV System

Associate
I have been considering cctv for quite some time and have finally decided to get on with it. Only looking at a couple of cameras to start with either on a NVR or on a synology nas. Where currently has the best price for the 4mp Hikvision cameras with uk firmware that can be updated? I don't mind buying from china its just there is so much out there it would be good to buy from somewhere that people have first hand experience of.

Soldato
You can now buy genuine international cameras from the same sources in China, Firmware upgradeable too. I just bought some 2cd2142 fwd cams from there for £63each delivered. They came in the international box and have the international serial numbers too. About £35-40 cheaper than over here.

Just to confirm I have now upgraded two of these with the latest firmware (5.50) and there was no problem. You need to use internet explorer though to open the firmware tab as later browsers (firefox and chrome anyway) dont do anything when you try and select a directory and the pop up window wont appear for you to select a file.

Associate
I don't mind buying from china its just there is so much out there it would be good to buy from somewhere that people have first hand experience of.
I got both mine from a seller called "A Plus Electronics Ltd." on Aliexpress, and they are genuine UK versions of the product (saved £80 per camera). They might stock what you are after.

Soldato
Guys, I need some advice...

Just had my second company car very badly keyed along one side and even the headlamp. Now its a company vehicle so wont cost me but I am getting sick of it. I park on the street so need a camera with good nightvision abilities as I believe its happening at night. I am being targeted as NO other cars are being damaged.

A single camera setup is what I am looking for but I dont really have a PC etc to run it from so no idea where to start :(

Associate
So after a load of recent break in its got me thinking about installing a cheap CCTV set up.
I was thinking 2 or 3 cameras. I had a set up years ago which was wired and used an old xp system to work but this is long gone. so anyone got experiance with a setup they would recommend?

Permabanned
Why is it even banks and building societies post grainy footage of an unrecognisable fellon from their security cameras when even my local pub has cameras with an image quality, day or night, that looks like professional outside broadcast footage? Crimewatch is awash with footage that is a joke, often sourced from professional bodies with a real need for quality security camera recordings.

Soldato
Guys, I need some advice...

Just had my second company car very badly keyed along one side and even the headlamp. Now its a company vehicle so wont cost me but I am getting sick of it. I park on the street so need a camera with good nightvision abilities as I believe its happening at night. I am being targeted as NO other cars are being damaged.

A single camera setup is what I am looking for but I dont really have a PC etc to run it from so no idea where to start :(

Hi Richie,

Sounds like Hikvision Darkfighter or EXIR might solve your requirements as these are really powerful cameras.

At a fixed focal length they're surprisingly affordable too in 3MP form for Darkfighter and 5MP for EXIR.

You can use a NAS if you need to, to record. You can purchase an NVR for not too much if you don't have one :)

Soldato
Cheers Hyburnate... Any recommendations on where to get them from? :confused:

Just a shame I need to do it at all.. I have my suspicions but no proof. Looking at likely £800 of damage to fix it, perhaps more given the light is also scraped in....

Soldato
Can't say mate I'm afraid, I have trade accounts with numerous suppliers but none of them are allowed to deal with the public :/

e; DS-2CD2135FWD-I This is what I'd go for or DS-2CD2755FWD-IZS if you've got a bit more cash to play with.
Is the 2342 EXIR not preferred / better for a very similar price?

I still haven't bought mine yet lol

Soldato
No worries... I tried PM but didnt work... Will try Trust

Will reply shortly, just got in from the office :)

Is the 2342 EXIR not preferred / better for a very similar price?

I still haven't bought mine yet lol

The 2342 is old stock. It's a 4MP sensor with the better infrared but nowhere near the same amount of low-light footage as the DS-2CD2135FWD-I I recommended (which I assume you're comparing it with). The latter is a Darkfighter range camera which will stay in colour throughout the night if there is a street light present which will allow for further identification.

The DS-2CD2755FWD-IZS I recommended is a 5MP (replaced the 4MP range) wide dynamic range camera, it comes with a varifocal lens and heater built in. Comes at more of a price point however

Soldato
The 2342 is old stock. It's a 4MP sensor with the better infrared but nowhere near the same amount of low-light footage as the DS-2CD2135FWD-I I recommended (which I assume you're comparing it with). The latter is a Darkfighter range camera which will stay in colour throughout the night if there is a street light present which will allow for further identification.

The DS-2CD2755FWD-IZS I recommended is a 5MP (replaced the 4MP range) wide dynamic range camera, it comes with a varifocal lens and heater built in. Comes at more of a price point however
Ahh OK yeah I was comparing to the DS-2CD2135FWD-I I you mentioned.

Where exactly are the emitters on the DS-2CD2135FWD-I I? In some (most) photos of the camera itself, it simply looks like there are no visible IR emitters which is strange?

Soldato
My dad is looking to upgrade an existing analogue 4 camera system, it's only SD and the interface is very clunky, to get the video from it I need to use an older laptop with internet explorer in compatibility mode, this isn't good going forward, most of the computers in the house are on Win 10 now.

I've done a lot of reading, Hikvision and Dahua seem to be recommended a lot. We would probably go for an 8ch NVR and add a 5th camera. But I have no idea which NVR to get and which cameras, or what resolution. I have read that turret cameras are usually recommended. I also read about buying from UK dealers, though it seems that some here haven't had a problem buying from Aliexpress.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Soldato
I would probably now advise against trying to get Hikvision as most dealers are not supposed to sell to public. I can still get my hands on them mind, but I worry that it will get to the point that you look to upgrade or replace the odd camera and getting hold of them would be difficult.

I've seen a few Dahua setups and I'd say they're equally as good as Hikvision.

Lens size and mp depend entirely on where you want them mounted, field/angle of view etc. So it may be worth trying to find out the spec of the current cameras to give something to compare to.

Back
Top Bottom