What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
For me it was Robin Hood that killed Ridley Scott's winning streak. He dropped the ball on that one. I do also wonder how much influence these old school directors have with CGI heavy films.

Caporegime
Again good, but not genre-defining great (my opinion of course).

How many director over their career can have as many "genre defining" film on their CV. If you can make just 1, then you are better than 99% of everyone else.

I think Ridley Scott still make better movies than most, even on a bad day. But his best years are certainly in the past.

Associate
The Ritual (2017) - 6/10

A good enough horror movie that strays just far enough from the formula in style and content to keep you interested throughout.

Good acting and group of characters in a semi-spooky setting, but the film is never scary and the ending is a bit of an anti-climax, with sudden conveniences and an abrupt finale.

Caporegime
Hard Candy (2005) - 8/10

My god...did not see this coming. With it being October I fancied a scary movie/thriller of sorts so I was recommended this. Went into it completely blind. Fantastic film and acting from both main actors. Very tense, great cinematography. Definitely worth a watch!

Caporegime
Apes of the War on the Planet of the War for the Planet of the Apes.

Picking up where the previous movie left off, Apes of the War on the Planet of the War for the Planet of the Apes ('Now with extra apes!') finds Caesar lurking moodily in his woodland fortress as he plots the extermination of all human life.

Some soldiers rock up, and there's a brief battle, which the apes win. Caesar interrogates the remaining soldiers and sends them back to their commander with a dark warning of further violence to come.

The humans retaliate with an assassination attempt carried out by a bunch of guys from the Spec Ops franchise, who manage to ******** up their mission in ways that shouldn't even be possible.

Enraged that they didn't send anyone remotely competent, Caesar vows to hunt down Corporal Woody Harrelson (played by Woody Harrelson) and exact his revenge. Accompanied by Luca (a gorilla), Rocket (a chimpanzee) and Maurice H. Evans (a gay orangutan) they they had off in the midst of a bitterly cold winter, with snow almost two metres deep.

During their travels the apes find some random guy, murder him, and kidnap his daughter.

Some other stuff happens and Caesar ends up captured by the Corporal, who forces him to join a work gang of about three dozen apes.

Luca, Rocket, and Maurice hatch a plan to rescue Caesar and the five dozen apes.

Despite being utterly reliant on deus ex machina, the plan succeeds under the most absurd circumstances (e.g. a soldier throws his life away by entering the apes' enclosure alone, without alerting anyone else of his intentions; other soldiers pay no attention to the fact that the apes have vanished from their enclosure; spotlights brighter than the sun somehow fail to reveal the apes walking freely all over the military base, etc.) and Caesar escapes with the five dozen apes just as a bunch of other humans attack.

There's a brief fight during which half of the seven dozen apes are slaughtered, and the Corporal's men are all killed.

An avalanche comes right out of nowhere and conveniently kills all the other human soldiers while leaving Caesar and his nine dozen apes untouched, because that's what Pierre Boule asked for and damn it, that's what he's going to get.

Literally 24 hours later, Caesar leads his 1.5 million apes to a sun-bathed valley that is clearly basking in a temperate summer.

Director Matt Reeves has been criticised for his controversial postmodern 'dry brush' colour palette, but I personally believe it was the right choice.

I rate Apes of the War on the Planet of the War for the Planet of the Apes at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a refreshing 7/10 on IMDB.

Soldato
Apes of the War on the Planet of the War for the Planet of the Apes.

Picking up where the previous movie left off, Apes of the War on the Planet of the War for the Planet of the Apes ('Now with extra apes!') finds Caesar lurking moodily in his woodland fortress as he plots the extermination of all human life.

Some soldiers rock up, and there's a brief battle, which the apes win. Caesar interrogates the remaining soldiers and sends them back to their commander with a dark warning of further violence to come.

The humans retaliate with an assassination attempt carried out by a bunch of guys from the Spec Ops franchise, who manage to ******** up their mission in ways that shouldn't even be possible.

Enraged that they didn't send anyone remotely competent, Caesar vows to hunt down Corporal Woody Harrelson (played by Woody Harrelson) and exact his revenge. Accompanied by Luca (a gorilla), Rocket (a chimpanzee) and Maurice H. Evans (a gay orangutan) they they had off in the midst of a bitterly cold winter, with snow almost two metres deep.

During their travels the apes find some random guy, murder him, and kidnap his daughter.

Some other stuff happens and Caesar ends up captured by the Corporal, who forces him to join a work gang of about three dozen apes.

Luca, Rocket, and Maurice hatch a plan to rescue Caesar and the five dozen apes.

Despite being utterly reliant on deus ex machina, the plan succeeds under the most absurd circumstances (e.g. a soldier throws his life away by entering the apes' enclosure alone, without alerting anyone else of his intentions; other soldiers pay no attention to the fact that the apes have vanished from their enclosure; spotlights brighter than the sun somehow fail to reveal the apes walking freely all over the military base, etc.) and Caesar escapes with the five dozen apes just as a bunch of other humans attack.

There's a brief fight during which half of the seven dozen apes are slaughtered, and the Corporal's men are all killed.

An avalanche comes right out of nowhere and conveniently kills all the other human soldiers while leaving Caesar and his nine dozen apes untouched, because that's what Pierre Boule asked for and damn it, that's what he's going to get.

Literally 24 hours later, Caesar leads his 1.5 million apes to a sun-bathed valley that is clearly basking in a temperate summer.

Director Matt Reeves has been criticised for his controversial postmodern 'dry brush' colour palette, but I personally believe it was the right choice.

I rate Apes of the War on the Planet of the War for the Planet of the Apes at 23.31 on the Haglee Scale, which works out as a refreshing 7/10 on IMDB.

Not sure what to think of this film after watching it. For me it just seemed like an extended subplot of the last film that could have just been bolted on and added an extra hour at most.

Also it wasn't much of a war, more a bodged assassination mission then a revenges mission

probably give it a 6/10

Soldato
The Conjuring 2 - 7.5/10. Holy crap - some really good scares again! Having recently watched The Conjuring, i was keen to watch the next movie. Not as good as the first, but not far behind. Much better than the heavily infested 'cabin in the wood' and zombie genre that has been around the last few years.

Looking forward to Annabelle: Creation next.

Soldato
City Of Ghosts (2017)

tppic3x.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6333056/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A documentary that follows the efforts of "Raqqa Is Being Slaughtered Silently," a handful of anonymous activists who banded together after their homeland was taken over by ISIS in 2014.
With deeply personal access, this is the story of a brave group of citizen journalists as they face the realities of life undercover, on the run, and in exile, risking their lives to stand up against one of the greatest evils in the world today.

Great hard hitting documentary that really puts ones life issues into perspective :(

Highly recommended
8.6/10

Soldato
The Tuskegee Airmen - 8.5/10 - The inspiring story of the first black pilots of WW2 (nicknamed the infamous "Red Tails") and the hell they had to go through to earn the right to fly. The acting from the ensemble cast is virtually perfect with Cuba Gooding Jr giving a fantastic performance (how did it go so wrong for him?), the tone and direction felt extremely well thought out and understandable and the script/story is 10/10 every way you look at it. The only real down side is in the aerial combat footage, which is a mix of gun camera footage (great) & "obviously filmed in 1995 over California" footage, and the 1995 stuff just looked out of place but that was a limitation of the time & budget.

As an aside, as mentioned in my review of "Hidden Figures" I'm genuinely amazed that when a country needed everyone to give 100%, by being unwilling to look past the colour or gender of people until forced to, it was giving up a huge percentage of it's capability.

PS If you liked this film yourself then ***DO NOT WATCH "REDTAILS" produced by George Lucas*** it's an insult to the Tuskegee story and -1,000,00/10.

Soldato
As an aside, as mentioned in my review of "Hidden Figures" I'm genuinely amazed that when a country needed everyone to give 100%, by being unwilling to look past the colour or gender of people until forced to, it was giving up a huge percentage of it's capability.

They do remain one of the most divided nations on Earth and remain utterly unwilling to see it, or deal with it.
I enjoyed the scene in Hidden Figures where the boss is battering a sign with a sledgehammer as he clearly didn't give a **** about color (sic) in his mathematical world.

Soldato
Attack the Block - once you get over the language barrier and the fact that most of the protagonists are scrotes this is a good little throwback creature feature. It is fine and really doesn't take itself seriously. 4/5

Surprising how many of the stars,have gone on to bigger and 'better' things.

Soldato
Inglorious ******** - Rewatched as going through a bit of a war movie thing and this is right up there. Even better than I remembered it from the first time when it was released. Some of the scenes are as tense as they get and superbly acted. Tarantino certainly knows how to draw you in.

9.5/10

Associate
Cape fear (1991)

Scorsece remake of the 1964 film. Maybe the third or fourth time I have watched.

DeNiro playing Ex con with vengeance against his lawyer. Deniro = superb back then.

Juliet Lewis amazing performance as the flirtatious teenage daughter of nick nolte /jessica lange

Great to fall back on these classics with all the tosh hollywood offers these days.

8.5/9

Associate
Mea Culpa (2014)

I do love the gritty feel of euro films, they just capture things which are overlooked by Hollywood. For instance when a gun goes off in a confined space, everyone goes deaf! Not something I would want to witness firsthand! Another example, car chases are undertaken in regular motors which adds an element of realism.

It has it's faults but overall an enjoyable roller coaster ride of a film. 8/10.

Soldato
Mea Culpa - French action thriller.

With euro films there is a gritty realism you never see in Hollywood. For example, the baddies fire a gun in a closed environment, everyone goes deaf. You never see this in a US film.

8/10.

Mea Culpa (2014)

I do love the gritty feel of euro films, they just capture things which are overlooked by Hollywood. For instance when a gun goes off in a confined space, everyone goes deaf! Not something I would want to witness firsthand! Another example, car chases are undertaken in regular motors which adds an element of realism.

It has it's faults but overall an enjoyable roller coaster ride of a film. 8/10.

So good you watch it twice in the space of a week?! Lol

Back
Top Bottom