What film did you watch last night?

Caporegime
Inglorious ******** - Rewatched as going through a bit of a war movie thing and this is right up there. Even better than I remembered it from the first time when it was released. Some of the scenes are as tense as they get and superbly acted. Tarantino certainly knows how to draw you in.

9.5/10
7/10 max for that film. The first 3/4 is indeed 9.5/10 material, but after the monster trucking basement scene it all goes downhill and the cinema finale is ludicrous. 9.5/10 * 3/4 ~ 7/10.

Caporegime
We watched a film called Oranges and Sunshine last night. It's about a social worker in the 80s who discovers that hundreds of children in care homes were shipped off to Australia in the preceding decades to work in atrocious conditions and subjected to physical and sexual abuse. It's got Emily Watson and Hugo Weaving and the chap who played Faramir in it. Pretty good.

Associate
Got through a couple.

Baby driver was first up it was 8/10 in my eyes a casual watch but entertaining with some good car stunts.

Atomic blonde was second, I found was a bit slow in places but the setting of the fall of the Berlin Wall was interesting so 6/10

Caporegime
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

I watched this at the time but my second viewing was as good, if not better. Daniel Craig was an odd choice for the lead role I feel but does a decent enough job all told. The real stars are Rooney Mara, the score and the story itself. There aren't too many thrillers of this caliber about, in my book.

8.5/10

Soldato
7/10 max for that film. The first 3/4 is indeed 9.5/10 material, but after the monster trucking basement scene it all goes downhill and the cinema finale is ludicrous. 9.5/10 * 3/4 ~ 7/10.
A Tarantino film with a Tarantino ending. Who'd have thought? It's up there with his best efforts in my opinion and Christoph Waltz delivers one of the finest acting performances I've seen.

Caporegime
War for the planet of the apes:

Absolutely loved it, it's incredibly how far CGI has come in that the range of emotion and expression from the apes was phenomenally well portrayed. The film was dark and took itself seriously, and that is exactly why my suspension of disbelief was more or less complete. Powerful and gripping stuff, and I really was rooting for the apes.

8/10.

Spiderman Homecoming:

It was overall a decent reboot, but I was surprised how annoying I found both the new and very immature seeming Peter Parker and the ubiquitous and overdone Tony Stark. Marvel is getting increasingly smug and self.satisfied as time goes on and this is leading to a fair amount of on-screen self-gratification and pats on the back. I find that a wee bit irritating.

7/10.

Caporegime
Attack the Block - once you get over the language barrier and the fact that most of the protagonists are scrotes this is a good little throwback creature feature. It is fine and really doesn't take itself seriously. 4/5

Surprising how many of the stars,have gone on to bigger and 'better' things.

There was only one member of the entire cast that I didn't want to burn alive, and even she deserved a stern talking to.

Soldato
Whilst I agree that there is something special about a new Bond and the films mentioned above have been very good, I thought Skyfall improved as Daniel Craig had refined a bit, also some good new introductions and a goodbye. Also Roger Deakins.

Back
Top Bottom