**** The Official Google Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL Thread ****

Permabanned
OP
Mate with a white P2 has ordered one of the Live cases direct from Google, ETA later this week... it's the dual skinned version, so will be interesting to see what the bulk's like on that one, as I definitely fancy one of the custom photo ones!

I really enjoyed using my Google Live Case with my original Pixel XL with my choice of a personal photo designed into the Case. It made the phone feel so personal.

So when the Pixel 2 XL Panda was ordered, I immediately ordered the Single skinned Live Case with a new personal photo. It arrived in October and awaits my Panda delivery soon.

Every case is a personal choice, but to me, making the phone feel personal makes the Live Case choice an easy one.

Permabanned
OP
Soldato
Mine has been delayed :( On top of that, EE have the wrong delivery address (my father's home from when I lived with him) and won't change it now without cancelling the order. I did provide the correct one at the point of order :confused:

Permabanned
OP
Looking forward to hearing some more impressions on the rather maligned 2XL on here...

Me too.

But I think it is important to remember that the Pixel 2 XL launch is really a starting point for the user in a way that might not be so obvious. Why? Machine learning. The advantage that Google has over any other phone manufacturer, except Apple, is only getting greater. If Google really figured out how to keep a very popular phone (Pixel) in constant supply at both its website and its partners' stores, Pixels would be far more popular than they are today. Machine learning will make it impossible for others to "reverse engineer" their innovation.

As this article today from the Verge discusses, it is really a two horse race between Google and Apple in machine learning because they both have the "computing power and user data" second to none. They believe machine learning will become so important to users that it will become impossible for competitors to copy them in future.

Think of this statement from the article which in effect says, because of machine learning, Google's Pixel camera will get better on the original Pixel XL just from an increase in the data we feed it. That is a big competitive advantage.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...-google-tech-innovation-invention-competition

Soldato
Yeah it will be interesting to see how they do with supply and what comes out of the HTC investment.

I get the pixel range has let some people down certainly for the price point.

Supply and demand has always been an issue for them but for the size of the company it really should not be

Permabanned
OP
Out of curiosity did anyone pre-order from CPW, and if so are they on schedule? I've not ordered one myself, just being nosey :p

I did and I checked with them on Thurs or Fri last week to get update. Original launch date for the Tottenham Ct Rd store where I bought it is apparently 20 November. They said if that is met, which they expect, my Panda 2 XL would be despatched on DPD same day for next business day delivery.

I figured with the earlier dates mentioned here from EE and since CPW is also an authorised seller, they would launch about the same date but I have had no further update. They said my next contact would be an email from DPD. Hence, I am still assuming receiving Panda on 21 November.

They did say the free Google Home Mini would be in the same package.

Soldato
I did and I checked with them on Thurs or Fri last week to get update. Original launch date for the Tottenham Ct Rd store where I bought it is apparently 20 November. They said if that is met, which they expect, my Panda 2 XL would be despatched on DPD same day for next business day delivery.

I figured with the earlier dates mentioned here from EE and since CPW is also an authorised seller, they would launch about the same date but I have had no further update. They said my next contact would be an email from DPD. Hence, I am still assuming receiving Panda on 21 November.

They did say the free Google Home Mini would be in the same package.

EE have now delayed most XL 2 orders to supply shortage. I had a chat with them earlier as to why mine has been delayed (Im borrowing a phone at the moment) and that's the answer I got from them :(

Back
Top Bottom