China bans hip hop culture

Soldato
Haha this is funny, GD in a nutshell really.

I wonder how all of these GD dwellers know so well what hip hop and gang culture is about.

How do you even go about banning it?
You can prevent TV stations from airing it but what is that going to do in the face of the internet and music scene.

Pfft, this thread is ridiculous and just highlights the stupidity and prejudices of people. If we are all so pro banning hip hop culture because drugs/violence, then maybe we should also ban most films, games, rock music...

Also note the extra funny that some of those that support this ban are also the same ones that say banning guns doesn't work in reducing gun violence :p

Permabanned
Got dragged along to a metal concert once and don't recall seeing a single black person. Case in point I believe. Also, black people have a natural enmity to mosh pits. I think the evidence is clear on this one.

Soldato
Oh, well I found it funny that it's a blanket ban from mainstream of entertainers who make a living from selling the image of degenerate behaviour (and sometimes living it).

This then gets twisted into a ban on hip hop culture. IS IT REALLY.

Because entertainers can't promote themselves in a specific way on mainstream channels this stops other people living the life?

That's not what it said at all.

Soldato
Got dragged along to a metal concert once and don't recall seeing a single black person. Case in point I believe. Also, black people have a natural enmity to mosh pits. I think the evidence is clear on this one.

I've been to many metal or alternative gigs. My first Gig, CKY, I got chucked into a Moshpit and had a great time. So sweeping statements don't really work.

Caporegime
Haha this is funny, GD in a nutshell really.

I wonder how all of these GD dwellers know so well what hip hop and gang culture is about.

How do you even go about banning it?
You can prevent TV stations from airing it but what is that going to do in the face of the internet and music scene.

Pfft, this thread is ridiculous and just highlights the stupidity and prejudices of people. If we are all so pro banning hip hop culture because drugs/violence, then maybe we should also ban most films, games, rock music...

Also note the extra funny that some of those that support this ban are also the same ones that say banning guns doesn't work in reducing gun violence :p

china is very very strict on media.also many other things.if its happening doesnt surprise me. what many dont understand is media. clean perfect goody too shoes sells more than bad man doing crime. its pretty easy for the tv stations radio stations to be controlled.the others like pirate radio stations and under ground clubs not so.they will just give out very harsh sentences like they do already to scare people from being involved.

the real funny thing is hip hop is at a all time low compared to other trends at the moment and has been for a while.

Caporegime
For the most part, murders in films are portrayed as villains. If there are no villains, then for the most part loss of life is viewed as tragic.

Compare that with "gangster rap", which positively revels in criminal behaviour and death (sadly they also tend to see themselves as martyrs when they inevitably get "capped").

"Gonna roll to the west side
With lead in my tools
Coz they dissed my crew
Gonna blast these fools
Then gather my ho's
Smack them up a bit
It's all good baby
They're just walking teets
Now I gotta get high
On crack and blow
Drugs up every orifice
Because I'm gangster, yo."

Or some other such tripe. I made zero effort there because neither do they :p Throw in some samples of other (better) music, chant obscenities and implied threats over the top, and bam... "art".

Soldato
China banned hip-hop, not just gangster rap which is one of hundreds of sub-genres. Gangster rap might might have firm origins in hip hop but hip-hop itself covers a huge range of sub cultures. And that's why it's a bat-**** crazy decision. This is more about the infiltration of western culture in china in general than just hip-hop.

Permabanned
For the most part, murders in films are portrayed as villains. If there are no villains, then for the most part loss of life is viewed as tragic.

Compare that with "gangster rap", which positively revels in criminal behaviour and death (sadly they also tend to see themselves as martyrs when they inevitably get "capped").

"Gonna roll to the west side
With lead in my tools
Coz they dissed my crew
Gonna blast these fools
Then gather my ho's
Smack them up a bit
It's all good baby
They're just walking teets
Now I gotta get high
On crack and blow
Drugs up every orifice
Because I'm gangster, yo."

Or some other such tripe. I made zero effort there because neither do they :p Throw in some samples of other (better) music, chant obscenities and implied threats over the top, and bam... "art".

I think you could easily make 50k per year writing rap 'music'

Back
Top Bottom