**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

Soldato
In terms of the out of focus depth of field effect [bokeh].

It's more about low light ability, in which case I think it's quite a difference. I heard someone talking about it from the press show, saying they were basically led into a dark room where they could barely see anything. A photo was taken and he was amazed at the detail that was visible.

Soldato
It's more about low light ability, in which case I think it's quite a difference. I heard someone talking about it from the press show, saying they were basically led into a dark room where they could barely see anything. A photo was taken and he was amazed at the detail that was visible.
yep - you read the first part of my post right ;)

I'll re-cap :)
The camera on the S7 & S8 has a fixed aperture of f1.7 and the S9 camera goes down to f1.5 - this f0.2 difference makes only a small improvement in low light conditions.
Of course, Samsung's marketing department push that's it's the best upgrade ever - 'The camera redefined' :rolleyes:

TAKE MY MONEY !! :p :p

Soldato
The camera on the S7 & S8 has a fixed aperture of f1.7 and the S9 camera goes down to f1.5 - this f0.2 difference makes only a small improvement in low light conditions.

Yes, and my point was, I'm not sure it's that small a difference.

I know it's not directly comparable, but look at a Canon 50mm lens. f1.8 is £80, f1.4 is £380 and f1.2 is £1,300. Yes, I'm just taking price as an overall judge of how good a lens is, which is not particularly a good measure, I'm just saying, each 0.2 is quite a big step.

Soldato
Yes, and my point was, I'm not sure it's that small a difference.

I know it's not directly comparable, but look at a Canon 50mm lens. f1.8 is £80, f1.4 is £380 and f1.2 is £1,300. Yes, I'm just taking price as an overall judge of how good a lens is, which is not particularly a good measure, I'm just saying, each 0.2 is quite a big step.
I've owned all of the above lenses you mentioned. Most of the cost difference is in the improved build quality, focus speed improvement and the 'L' lens tax.
Also - Those are DSLR lenses which fit to cameras with a much larger sensor than the tiny ones used in mobile phone cameras, which makes a difference when comparing apertures, focal ranges etc..
In a completely dark room 0.2 lower aperture makes very little difference to the overall image exposure. You need 3-4 stops of aperture or shutter speed.

My guess with the test you described above.
  1. The didn't use an older Galaxy phone to compare the images. How do we know the S9 is so good if we don't see what an older phone can do?
  2. The newer S9 uses software and a higher ISO to boost the brightness of the dark photo. Again, we need to see back to back testing of old vs to new to see what the improvements are.

Soldato
The newer S9 uses software and a higher ISO to boost the brightness of the dark photo. Again, we need to see back to back testing of old vs to new to see what the improvements are.

Fair points. We already know they use software and hardware, the S9 has a DRAM chip (or some thing) that helps process and remove noise and other stuff. That plus the 0.2 difference could be quite big. I'm just saying, the tech reporters were apparently very impressed.

Screen protector is essential

I had major issues trying to find a protector that fitted my s7 edge that was both responsive and stayed attached. In the end I just gave up and went naked. I've dropped it a couple of times but only on carpet and it is fine. I hope the protectors are better for the s9 plus.

Soldato
I've not had a protector on my S7 for the 2 years and been fine, granted it's been in a Spigen all it's life so nothing but my keys in the pocket would get to it but I'm generally quite careful in that regard.

Soldato
My S7 Edge is always in a wallet case. Dropped it a few times screen side down, sometimes with the flap folded behind and the screen exposed. Still got no marks on it, nor the metal above and below the glass.
These gorilla glass screens seem to be very resilient and I don't feel the need for a protector like I have on my S6 which is in a Spigen case. I suppose if you're concerned about dropping it from a great height a protector would help, but any drop high enough to smash this screen would probably break the phone anyway.

Back
Top Bottom