**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

Soldato
They are different technologies. QC2 charges quicker than Samsung Fast Charge and it ramps the voltage/current up at different rates. A while ago I read i really interesting comparison of all the top charging technologies at the time, including OnePlus's dash charger, and they did some pretty in depth testing of them. I'll see if i can find it.

Soldato
Cheers I did have a look at that when it came out.

Though it compares QC3 to Samsung fast charge which is why its faster. Either way Samsung's fast charge is pretty old and hasn't moved on like QC.

I still believe Samsung fast charge is based on QC 2 with a few little tweaks. And that Samsung haven't implemented QC4+ as they use 2 different SoC's, and Exynos is making it complicated.

Soldato
Pre ordered the S9+ in black, I still like my S7 edge but the battery life is not what it used to be and my contract is finished in about a week.

I hope I enjoy it as much as the S7e.

Soldato
The hype is making me tempted as I'm eligible for upgrade.

Anyone know is the camera sensor is new over the S8?

Also heard that 4k60 drops stabilization. But I'm guessing it has stabilisation just not hardware based.

S9+ on 60Gb max plan on EE works out to be £55/m and £10 upfront for me with F&F.

Soldato
Sure they said the S9+ had 2 OIS lenses so I don't see how it could be dropped.

They do but when shooting 4k60 video stabilisation is dropped. I'm guessing it drop down to software stabilisation as none at all would be awful.

Ordered one for my nephew on my account. Trade in offer with EE for S7E.

£48/m no upfront. S9+. 60gb data.

Soldato
Surely the other way around. Software stabilisation can run out of 'spare' sensor to use but hardware stabilisation would always be there?
You make a valid point. It's was a video on YouTube from the Tech Chap which said 4k30 had stabilisation but 4k60 didn't. If 30fps is done with software, then it would be odd if 4k60 fps can't have it too.

Will have to wait and see what the reviews say.

Associate
I read the S9 is still using the ancient Quickcharge 2.0. Hope that's not true as the phone get far too hot for my liking. 4+ is meant to be cooler and more efficient.

I usually charge my S8 overnight on none Quickcharge wireless stand. Phone doesn't get warm. Gets a little warm if I use the bundled Samsung Quickcharge charger. I also have a Quickcharge pad from amazon and gets very warm on that so don't use it.

If you use your S8 whilst plugged into Samsung charger does it drop down to standard charge speed? Turn display off and charge speed picks right up.

Soldato
The camera on this phone has been way overhyped [as you would expect].

For sure the f1.5 aperture will really improve the quality of low light photos over f2.4 on the S9 BUT the S7 went down to aperture f1.7 so the difference is very small between this new one and the older phones.
In terms of the out of focus depth of field effect [bokeh]. The camera sensor on mobile phones is so small that small aperture changes make very little difference to the out of focus background area. You need to be standing very close to your subjects [macro] to see the difference [when viewing the photo at normal zoom, not 200% pixel peeping :p]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom