• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
The good EVGA power supplies (nova GX for example) were mostly superflower rebrands. The leadex platform was/is as good as the best seasonic but cheaper to make. They've basically made a name for themselves using good OEMs, they do now slip out the odd cheaper made PSU, living on their brandname with those that don't know better. Corsair before them did similar, was a point they had easily the best PSU's. They built their name for the part then switched to using cheaper OEMs, same thing all the time.

Ah superflower. I always get that muddled up tbh. I haven't looked in the last 6 months tbf so my data may be slightly out of date with EVGA but at time 10 year warranty was impressive and the build quality excellent. And I only purchase high end ranges because the gear connect is not worth the risk of the cheaper stuff in honesty.

Remember Corsair being good but that was well over a decade ago. I have had 3 break since then and so stopped and realised they had moved to cheap OEM's.

Superflower and Seasonic are what I have used otherwise in all builds. Just wish they would look at producing some decent SFX power supplies around the 600-700 watt mark.

Soldato
Unsure, but either way, does it matter?

It might do for some on pre orders, altho this one is released in a matter of days.
I was surprised when money was taken for a product that isn't in stock with only an ETA noted. As long as people know that money is taken immediately on order placement then they have a choice, I didn't know if that had changed.

Soldato
Has to be something going on with your system. So many people have bought and used the 8 pack ram with it working flawlessly out the box.

Unless you have a real dog of a CPU with an absolutely awful IMC... :/

I'm no expert overclocker. But I do have a good basic understanding of what I'm doing.

I overclocked my CPU to 3.8GHz at 1.35v (3hrs Prime 95 stable) and had my corsair ram at 3066MHz (400% HCI passed) since Sep 17.

Since then, one day last week the PC hard reset on me during a gaming session.

I just knew it was the ram!

So I thought sod this and impulsed bought the 8 Pack ram as I wanted 100% 3200MHz.

Things got worse. :(

I put my 8 Pack ram in, set the DOCP profile applied my 1.35v to my CPU at 3.8GHz and within 20 mins in BF1 it locks up.

Did the same in Origins too.

So I assumed the ram might be faulty as I had previously stress tested my CPU.

I reset to defaults and just set the DOCP profile.

I successfully played 4hrs of Origins.

Next day with DOCP set, I then went about testing stability of my CPU. I had to bump the voltage from 1.35 up to 1.36xxx for it to pass 3hrs in Prime 95.

So now I had my CPU stable again and the DOCP was still applied having successfully passed 4hrs gaming the previous day.

Again, within 20 mins of BF1 and Origins freezing. (The games would freeze, but windows was still functional. I could Ctrl Alt delete to task manager)

So I thought, it must need more SOC voltage. After fiddling with it slowly, I still wasn't getting anywhere.

So I thought as a quick and dirty test add 1.2v to the SOC and 1.4v to the RAM. Still no difference and the PC was freezing.

So the questions remains, why is the CPU and RAM stable independently but not together?

In essence the 8 Pack ram didn't gain me anything. I am still not able to run my ram at anything higher than 2933Mhz, where as the Corsair ram with it's (not playing nice with Ryzen Hynix modules) would have sat previously.

Will the 2700x solve this issue? It'd be cheaper solution than switching everything out for a 8700k.

But I run the risk of buying a new CPU still to find I have the same issue.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm no expert overclocker. But I do have a good basic understanding of what I'm doing.

I overclocked my CPU to 3.8GHz at 1.35v (3hrs Prime 95 stable) and had my corsair ram at 3066MHz (400% HCI passed) since Sep 17.

So I thought sod this and impulsed bought the 8 Pack ram as I wanted 100% 3200MHz.

I put my 8 Pack ram in, set the DOCP profile applied my 1.35v to my CPU at 3.8GHz and within 20 mins in BF1 it locks up.

Next day with DOCP set, I then went about testing stability of my CPU. I had to bump the voltage from 1.35 up to 1.36xxx for it to pass 3hrs in Prime 95.

So now I had my CPU stable again and the DOCP was still applied having successfully passed 4hrs gaming the previous day.

Again, within 20 mins of BF1 and Origins freezing. (The games would freeze, but windows was still functional. I could Ctrl Alt delete to task manager)

So I thought, it must need more SOC voltage. After fiddling with it slowly, I still wasn't getting anywhere.

So I thought as a quick and dirty test add 1.2v to the SOC and 1.4v to the RAM. Still no difference and the PC was freezing.

So the questions remains, why is the CPU and RAM stable independently but not together?

In essence the 8 Pack ram didn't gain me anything. I am still not able to run my ram at anything higher than 2933Mhz, where as the Corsair ram with it's (not playing nice with Ryzen Hynix modules) would have sat previously.

Will the 2700x solve this issue? It'd be cheaper solution than switching everything out for a 8700k.

The best way to find the solution is to put the ram in a totally different system at 3200mhz.

Associate

Just a thought.
A few years ago I had several FM1 systems. MSI, Gigabyte and Zotac. All ran fine and then I bought a top of the range Asus for the office. Ram support was supposed to be fantastic but was crap. I had to run the ram at lower settings which ever brand I used.
So, having loads of FM1 parts I striped the Asus board down to basics and cycled through CPU's and every brand of ram that I had. The Asus would only boot at stock ram settings and even then it crash randomly (anything between 1 to 3 hours).
It took days to cycle through all the options but at least I knew it was the board. I was really cross. I didn't even RMA the board. Instead I found it a home in the skip at the local tip.
I picked up a cheap Gigabyte board and it has never crashed once.

I know how you feel about your setup. It's more than frustrating but something is wrong. If it was me I would possibly RMA the board. Anything is worth I try.

Soldato
Just a thought.
A few years ago I had several FM1 systems. MSI, Gigabyte and Zotac. All ran fine and then I bought a top of the range Asus for the office. Ram support was supposed to be fantastic but was crap. I had to run the ram at lower settings which ever brand I used.
So, having loads of FM1 parts I striped the Asus board down to basics and cycled through CPU's and every brand of ram that I had. The Asus would only boot at stock ram settings and even then it crash randomly (anything between 1 to 3 hours).
It took days to cycle through all the options but at least I knew it was the board. I was really cross. I didn't even RMA the board. Instead I found it a home in the skip at the local tip.
I picked up a cheap Gigabyte board and it has never crashed once.

I know how you feel about your setup. It's more than frustrating but something is wrong. If it was me I would possibly RMA the board. Anything is worth I try.

But I've had it for a year now and it's been fine. Like I said if I put the CPU to stock and apply the DOCP it games away happily.

I don't think I have a faulty mobo.

Last edited:
Soldato
But I've had it for a year now and it's been fine. Like I said if I put the CPU to stock and apply the DOCP it games away happily.

I don't think I have a faulty mobo.
Its sounds like a bad IMC then. Some cpus are just really bad. I have had 100's of cpus and there are very few with very bad IMC, but they exist as I have had some. 2600k that wouldn't run more than 1600mhz, 5820k that couldn't run more than 2666 as well.

Soldato
Its sounds like a bad IMC then. Some cpus are just really bad. I have had 100's of cpus and there are very few with very bad IMC, but they exist as I have had some. 2600k that wouldn't run more than 1600mhz, 5820k that couldn't run more than 2666 as well.

The fact that OcUK recommend the 3200MHz and 3600MHz ram kits for the 2700x suggests it will be able to handle these ram speeds with ease.

It's encouraging to know that with the CPU at stock and the DOCP applied it can game no issues. Suggests the ram is fine, the mobo is fine but the CPU is the limiting factor.

Soldato
The fact that OcUK recommend the 3200MHz and 3600MHz ram kits for the 2700x suggests it will be able to handle these ram speeds with ease.

It's encouraging to know that with the CPU at stock and the DOCP applied it can game no issues. Suggests the ram is fine, the mobo is fine but the CPU is the limiting factor.
Yes the cache and IMC are greatly improved on the 2nd gen chips. If you feel its worth it to run your ram at full speed and get an extra 300-500mhz then you should go for it.

Soldato
Yes the cache and IMC are greatly improved on the 2nd gen chips. If you feel its worth it to run your ram at full speed and get an extra 300-500mhz then you should go for it.

I think it's defo worth it. The 1700 at 3.8GHz is night and day difference in game to it at stock.

And out the box the 2700x should be as fast as that without even any overclocks.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

It might do for some on pre orders, altho this one is released in a matter of days.
I was surprised when money was taken for a product that isn't in stock with only an ETA noted. As long as people know that money is taken immediately on order placement then they have a choice, I didn't know if that had changed.

Ocuk have always done this.

Soldato
I'm just not happy at all, that I switched my Corsair Vengeance ram which was semi stable at 3066Mhz (1 hard crash in 6 months) for the 8 Pack 3200MHz ram (I wanted to 100% fix my ram issue) and that too simply is unstable at 3200MHz with my 1700.

Cheap way to fix this is buy a 2700x and hope that my 8 Pack ram will run with DOCP no issues.

But I am leaning hard towards the 8700k at the moment.

I've kind of had enough.

When I watched jay showing off DOCP in a asus video he was showing DOCP, and I noticed he was wrong, he claims it emulates XMP, but I had noticed it incorrectly set the sub timings on the RAM, it seemed to only set the speed correctly, but then used generic timing settings probably what asus believe would work on as much ram as possible but it didnt match the ram he had in the machine.

So I suggest going to the SPD page, write down all the timings, then set them all manually so they match.

Soldato
opethdisciple most overclocking guides I read state that ram and cpu overclocking combined can and often causes instability, they should be done independently, usually cpu first on intel, but a few guides suggest doing ram first on AMD.

So get ram stable first with cpu at stock clocks, then work the cpu up until things lose stability, then take the cpu back down again.

Also in my experience a PC just rebooting itself is not a RAM problem, same with hardlocks, thats a CPU or power delivery problem problem. Ram problems usually just crash an app or give a BSOD.

Sounds like you over complicated things just switching the ram like that, so start again, and the end result is you probably going have to settle on a lower cpu clock.

It "used to be stable" but not now could easily be voltage degradation on the chip.

Caporegime
Ah superflower. I always get that muddled up tbh. I haven't looked in the last 6 months tbf so my data may be slightly out of date with EVGA but at time 10 year warranty was impressive and the build quality excellent. And I only purchase high end ranges because the gear connect is not worth the risk of the cheaper stuff in honesty.

Remember Corsair being good but that was well over a decade ago. I have had 3 break since then and so stopped and realised they had moved to cheap OEM's.

Superflower and Seasonic are what I have used otherwise in all builds. Just wish they would look at producing some decent SFX power supplies around the 600-700 watt mark.

EVGA Supernova 650 GS

Its not a looker but an absolutely solid PSU with really strong and stable volts.

Soldato
EVGA Supernova 650 GS

Its not a looker but an absolutely solid PSU with really strong and stable volts.

That isn't SFX ;) that is standard ATX size. 150x150x86mm or close too. The standard SFX is 125x100x63.5mm but only Silverstone & Lian Li produce them and I have been burnt before with those and their build quality so if Seasonic or Superflower came out with something then I would jump on that tbh.

Back
Top Bottom