The 5 year plan to £50k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Thanks mate. I got message last night after I went to sleep telling me I got the job. I could wax on for hours but to say that this is one of my proudest achievements in life is an understatement. Wow. Just wow.

Congratulations - one of the best feelings when you get an offer for a position you really want!

Caporegime
lucky you :p im kind of stuck in my role - I am an IT manager with 3 months notice. unfortunately most places wont wait around 3 months for someone to start - most want 4 weeks or under.

THREE MONTHS?!?

And you signed that? You're nuts mate, I'd have told them exactly where to stick it.

Associate
at my previous agency - it was 3 months. Originally was 1 month, but i managed to secure a 33% payrise on the threat of leaving (it was a total bluff - I showed them the job spec of the roll I applied for - they thought it was a full contract outlining my new job role & they panicked - they never read the paperwork). They called it, but they offered a payrise (took me from £30 -> £45k) - on the hit of increasing notice from 1 -> 3.

I went from a Senior Desktop support Analyst to Helpdesk Manager - The job title, i felt, was worth the notice period sacrifice. (each to their own) - was made redundant about a year later =P

This opened the door for my current role. Service Desk Manager. Hands on managerial. I want to leave but cant because of the notice period (again, increased to 3 months). As above - I was made redundant out of previous agency - took a 35k (10k paycut). on my 6months probation, in my "congrats your about to pass your probation with flying colour" review, i said Im resigning because im responsible for too much without the adequate compensation (literally took over the entire running of the IT infrastructure & abuser, despite having a network/infrastructure manager already in place. Again, same as before, they offered me the payrise but I had to take the increase in notice period.

Each to their own gents. You point a gun at your manager / the company - expect them to point one back at you :p

Going to post my story in here one day =P it would be a funny read.

All im going to say is have the attitude of being known for "G.S.D" - it will get you noticed, you will get rewarded, if it doesnt its an excellent CV builder :p

Caporegime
One thing that really threw me off with this job offer is that it was advertised for £45-£47k. In every single other job I've ever had it would've been the lowest amount possible and I'd have to negotiate a bit more, but this company just went straight to the top. Never seen that happen before. Not complaining though.

Associate
One thing that really threw me off with this job offer is that it was advertised for £45-£47k. In every single other job I've ever had it would've been the lowest amount possible and I'd have to negotiate a bit more, but this company just went straight to the top. Never seen that happen before. Not complaining though.

Some companies actually pay what is deemed as a "market rate" for good talent :p - otherwise they have problems attracting suitable talent to the role.

It always bemused me - at my first agency, Havas, IT sucked royally. but they couldnt understand why - they kept wondering why recruitment only yielded a poor crop - because they were paying 2nd line SD 20-23k (it was 30-35k at the time), and infrastructure managers roughly 35-40k (when it should have been between 50-60k for a decent employee) - market rates for FTE.

Again. Happy to have a staff turn over of 43% year in and year out (for an agency size of roughly 800 employees - i **** you not) and pay nearly 300-500k in recruitment fees - Rather than pay a proper wage, retain staff, invest in training, and save on recruitment costs.

each to their own.

Imagine doing 20-30 man desk moves every 2-3 weeks inorder to reorganize various teams in the building - just so the newbies can sit in the correct positions so they could learn, or to move a newly appointed/promoted manager somewhere further up the chain.

Absolute bonkers.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

If you find the right person then that is what I would expect. Take comfort from that and now make the job yours. Day 1 is your induction, day 2 is getting to know everyone, day 3 is looking to see what your first promotion looks like and when ;)

Caporegime
If you find the right person then that is what I would expect. Take comfort from that and now make the job yours. Day 1 is your induction, day 2 is getting to know everyone, day 3 is looking to see what your first promotion looks like and when ;)

Cheers. Ja I've always got my eyes open for new stuff, opportunities are everywhere if you look hard enough :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom