• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Soldato
Thanks guys.

Any tips for settings? balanced or Turbo? and HBCC Memory Segment off or on?

Cheers

Is this for V56 or V64?If 64 then:

Don't use Balanced or Turbo. I personally keep HBCC disabled just because it causes a few texture graphical bugs in a few games. Go for Custom setting always. first thing to do set +50 power limit, set HBM clock to 1050mhz default voltage(it'll more than likely overclock to around 1100mhz but stick with 1050mhz to keep heat down) reduce the core voltage to around 1000mv and set the p6 state to 1400 and p7 state to 1500mhz as a low starting point and bench or game with an overlay so you can monitor the temps and what the clocks are boosting to. The idea is to push the core clock higher little at a time and keep voltage as low as you can which helps keeping heat in check until you get a hard crash. Once you get that hard crash increase the voltage and test again.

All cards are different, some cards will overclock incredibly well, others not so much. Some will need very little voltage others will need a lot. Just take it slow and easy to start with until you get a good feel of the card. I don't know what your experience is of overclocking so all this might be preaching to the choir, but that's how I go about things.

For reference my card core is 1700mhz @ 1080mv and HBM @ 1100mhz with a +50 power limit, but my card is under water (rig in sig) It will do 1800mhz @1230mv but for the extra heat and stress on system, I dial it way back. Others have managed 1700mhz @ 1020mv on the core, it's a lottery.

The biggest gain on Vega cards I found is from overclocking that HBM and getting a comfortable overclock on the core.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Associate
State 7 was set at 1250mv so ive knocked it down to 1150 and 1050 for 6. Ive not touched the clocks as they are set to 1537 and 1632.
I've upped hbm to 1000 and lowered the mv to 1050 from 1100.

Just had a quick go of farcry 5 and its way smoother than before.

Thanks for the tips.

Soldato
State 7 was set at 1250mv so ive knocked it down to 1150 and 1050 for 6. Ive not touched the clocks as they are set to 1537 and 1632.
I've upped hbm to 1000 and lowered the mv to 1050 from 1100.

Just had a quick go of farcry 5 and its way smoother than before.

Thanks for the tips.

Good good.

see how low you can go with state 7 voltage....in an ideal world, below 1100mv would be great while keeping the core clocks where they were.

I still think state 7 1600mhz @ 1050mv should be achievable maybe even 1650mhz @ 1050mv. This will save you from using so much wattage - reducing leccy bills over time, whilst also reducing temps massively and also allowing the auto boost of the card to go higher. As a rule, you always want state 6 to be 100mhz lower than state 7, that way it will always boost correctly if you have temp and voltage headroom.

Core @ 1650mhz/1050mv and HBM @ 1050mhz will give a very nice experience on an air cooled V64 for sure. Its all about keeping that temp down, that is absolute key. Default voltage on Vega cards out of the box was set way to high in most peoples experience.

HBM will overclock to 1050mhz with ease if you need extra overclocking room and you dont need to mess around with the voltage of the HBM, just leave it wherever it is.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Matt, I don't suppose you know why the original 3 x 8 pin power arrangement was changed on these Sapphire Vegas? There wasn't a spec change to the chip or anything like that?

Maybe Sapphire just ditched the extreme overclocking option to cut costs :p

The Vega 64 Nitro with the three plugs was called the limited edition version, Like with most of AMD's hardware nowaday's overclocking is minimal as they're close to maxed as they come, I had the 3 plug Nitro & it never clocked any better than how any other can clock from what I've seen & read. I had an air cooled reference Vega 64 before the Nitro LE & it was the temps, throttling & noise that stood them apart not the clocks.

Associate
The Vega 64 Nitro with the three plugs was called the limited edition version, Like with most of AMD's hardware nowaday's overclocking is minimal as they're close to maxed as they come, I had the 3 plug Nitro & it never clocked any better than how any other can clock from what I've seen & read. I had an air cooled reference Vega 64 before the Nitro LE & it was the temps, throttling & noise that stood them apart not the clocks.

Thanks for the info, I was just curious as it was unexpected to only find two connectors when I opened the box, thought I maybe had a dumbed down version or something :p

Soldato
If you are on air, try not to exceed 1100mv on the core, will generate to much heat. Just go easy but 1600mhz around 1000mv/1050mv should be easily achievable but not knowing your card it's not something that is guaranteed. Just take your time with it.

970mv and 915mv is what I have for near default speeds and obviously thats usually a ton less power then out of the box, hence all the criticisms are a bit silly when I think most can use these settings. For the overclocking stuff you would need more I guess depending on ambient and cooling

Soldato
970mv and 915mv is what I have for near default speeds and obviously thats usually a ton less power then out of the box, hence all the criticisms are a bit silly when I think most can use these settings. For the overclocking stuff you would need more I guess depending on ambient and cooling

For default clocks yeah defo, agree totally. But for overclocking 1600mhz and up you'll generally need more than 1000mv/1050mv to allow enough voltage for the boost but low enough to not hit the ceiling for heat and voltage. Ppl are running 1200mv and +50PL to get 1750 and higher which is absolute nuts. I wouldn't want to run these cards any higher than 1050mv if I was running on air and overclocking. Obviously being on water I can go a lot higher, but from experience keep the voltage down well under 1100mv as a rule of thumb.

I used to hit 1800mhz at 1230mv for benching runs as temps only get to about 45c, but now run 1700mhz @ 1080mv / 1100mhz memory 24/7. Way less stress on the card, lower leccy bills and sub 40c temps is gaming heaven for me. I just don' see the point in squeezing every last bit out of a card for prolonged periods, playing with fire really.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been playing a lot of VR on the Rift and this Nitro x64 handles it really well. Very pleased with this card.

Hopefully I can get a year out of it before needing an upgrade. Not as much disposable income these days xD

Soldato
Hey fellow 64 owners, Im posting this here as I completely losing my mind.
I have been experiencing a hard reset while playing games on my system for 6 weeks now, i have tried everything i can think of, re installing windows 4 times, different drivers, updating bios's using one stick of ram, then the other, underclocking, undervolting
But nothing fixes it, so I took my entire pc apart and put it together again.
I then.....

Overclocked my pc to 4.7ghz (i5 6600k) which i had never done before, i overclocked the ram to 2800 (from 2666) and i overclocked the Vega 64 to 1050 mhz memory and 1700mhz core, with +50% power increase
I then ran with those settings - Furmark 8k test + cpu burn test + cpu -z stress test + seagate hardrive test + video memory stress test +ram test + Aida64 ALL TESTS
ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for 1 hour stressing everything to 100% and grinding the system to a slow crawl

BUT

No crash and no errors...................

Yet when i run a game when it is at stock settings , the PC restarts itself within 5 minutes...
Please please help, i am frustrated beyond belief, i dont know what to replace or what to do.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom