Summer Transfer Thread 2018

Don
Yeah

Well there you go. I said I didn't massively rate steklen either.

Hopefully your doubts over us signing Alisson prove as justified as your doubts over De Gea.
Your memory is quite ridiculous.

I’ve heard Elephants say to each other, “he’s got the memory of a Baz”.
My memory is disgusting but tbf that one was easy as Nicks fellow Mancs like to remind him of that one.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Why? Surely, if anything, there's less outside factors from league to league that influence a keepers performance than an outfield player? The only change for a keeper from league to league will be the difference in physicality permitted but that's only going to effect them when dealing with crosses which is only a small part of their game (and lets be honest, keepers in all leagues get a hell of a lot of protection). Outfield players have to deal with the physicality throughout the majority of the game though.

Because when teams lose a solid keeper it quite often takes them years to find a replacement who is as good or better. Because you suddenly have a new defence in front of you whom you don't know and perhaps aren't as happy with. Keepers are also judged on perception almost as much as ability. For a few years certain people rubbished DDG when he was our best player at times and they couldn't forget a few mistakes or iffy moments he had in his first season. No one seems to care when Neuer make colossal mistakes because he is universally praised. If another keeper made those mistakes without the reputation they would be slaughtered. Keepers also are prone to dips in form or simply losing it. Joe Hart was a good keeper once upon a time then something happened and he became erratic and you couldn't depend on him.

There is a reason there are probably about 4-5 really world class keepers about.

Soldato
I think a large part of the reason Liverpool paid so much for Alisson is that he is good with his feet, he will enable to Liverpool to play it out from the back better than they could with Karius or Mignolet in goal. That's what really separates the very good keepers from the truly great ones.

I'd say the prem has a lot of very good goalkeepers (Schmeichel, Pickford, Butland, Pope, Heaton, etc), but to take the next step up it's not enough to be a good shot stopper and be commanding on crosses and set pieces, you need to be able to play out under pressure, which is something really only De Gea, Lloris, Ederson and now Alisson can do properly.

Don
Because when teams lose a solid keeper it quite often takes them years to find a replacement who is as good or better. Because you suddenly have a new defence in front of you whom you don't know and perhaps aren't as happy with. Keepers are also judged on perception almost as much as ability. For a few years certain people rubbished DDG when he was our best player at times and they couldn't forget a few mistakes or iffy moments he had in his first season. No one seems to care when Neuer make colossal mistakes because he is universally praised. If another keeper made those mistakes without the reputation they would be slaughtered. Keepers also are prone to dips in form or simply losing it. Joe Hart was a good keeper once upon a time then something happened and he became erratic and you couldn't depend on him.

There is a reason there are probably about 4-5 really world class keepers about.

Keepers will need time to bed-in like any outfield player would - I suppose it's harder for them to bed-in than an outfield player because you can't always ease them into the side. I'm not sure I agree that keepers are judged on perception any more than an outfield player either - take VVD and Lovren as examples, Lovren is still taking a bashing for his performances 2-3 years ago yet I'd say has played better and made fewer mistakes than VVD since he signed but one is all but imune from criticism and the other people search for reasons to criticise.

I agree that there's only a handful of top keepers about but not convinced it's any harder to move from league to league as it is for any other player.
I think a large part of the reason Liverpool paid so much for Alisson is that he is good with his feet, he will enable to Liverpool to play it out from the back better than they could with Karius or Mignolet in goal. That's what really separates the very good keepers from the truly great ones.

I'd say the prem has a lot of very good goalkeepers (Schmeichel, Pickford, Butland, Pope, Heaton, etc), but to take the next step up it's not enough to be a good shot stopper and be commanding on crosses and set pieces, you need to be able to play out under pressure, which is something really only De Gea, Lloris, Ederson and now Alisson can do properly.
I've only seen bits and pieces of him but all the talk is that he's not just a top class keeper but he's also perfectly suited to our style of play. I know the easy view is to say De Gea's the best keeper around and I wouldn't dispute that but he's not necessarily the best keeper for every side and I think this is something we don't really look at much with keepers.

You mention Lloris and De Gea being good with their feet and by keepers standards they probably are but Ederson really is on another level in that respect and by all accounts Alisson is in a similar bracket - given how Liverpool and City like to play from the back and how teams will try to press our defence at goal kicks to stop us doing that, having a keeper that can ping a 60 yard pass is really useful. It's not just their ability on the ball but their willingness to sweep up behind the back 4 that is crucial - De Gea doesn't really come off his line much but playing for Utd who generally sit a lot deeper there's not much need to but where City and Liverpool play a lot more on the front foot and with a higher line, having a keeper that will sprint 50 yards from goal to cut out through balls makes it so much more difficult to create chances against them.

City's keeper, back 4 and style of play isn't the best at defending attacks on goal but their defensive record was great last season because their keeper, back 4 and style of play meant they didn't concede many chances and didn't have to defend so much. Adding VVD, with his pace and ability on the ball meant we could defend higher up the pitch and play out of the back more and I hope Alisson's arrival will further improve us much in the same way Ederson improved City's defensive record.

Caporegime
Who would Liverpool fans rather sign out of Vida and Godín?

I think Godín is generally accepted as the better defender of the two, but he is already 32, while Vida’s only 29. Vidas also handy if you are attacked by orcs.

Caporegime
Well, Vida is crap, slow and has never played at a decent standard domestically whereas Godin is good so that should be an easy decision.

Vida would be a woeful signing for Liverpool, or any Premier League club for that matter.

Caporegime
So Richarlison has arrived at Everton for his medical.

Absolutely ridiculous fee. £50m for him is just bizarre, even in this day and age. The man has been in the premier league for one year and scored five goals in 43 appearances.

Doesn’t make sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom