Just gave blood again, do you?

Soldato
Thought i would see what dates are available, they have changed venues around here and it now suites me much better so booked in on a Monday at 16:35 should be able to go on my way home from work. Been a few years since i last went.

Commissario
0.5 liters/ or 1 pint of blood for a bag of crisps, a biscuit and a cup of tea. That's Richard/Dick Turpin or John Palmerr gear. lol :D
I give very nearly an armful for the cup of coffee, a couple of packets of biscuits, the free time I get out of work and the smug feeling of posting in this thread :D. No other reason.

Soldato
You do it as a selfless gesture towards your fellow human.

I have given blood on and off over the years and never thought I would end up in a treatment room having a blood product infused to save my nervous system. So in my case I have got something back out of it even though that's not the reason I did it. Just annoyed the rules mean I can no longer donate in return.

Soldato
I give very nearly an armful for the cup of coffee, a couple of packets of biscuits, the free time I get out of work and the smug feeling of posting in this thread :D. No other reason.

Irony is my ex has worked on the mobile blood bank for over 20 years, she is good at venepuncture but never given blood herself.

None of them that work there give blood, not sure why. :confused:

Soldato
Well I don't personally see it as "why should I give my blood for nothing" I think, i hope one day for it to save someone's life.

Loads get dumped except the rare ones.

• O-positive: 38 percent. dumped
  • O-negative: 7 percent.
  • A-positive: 34 percent. dumped
  • A-negative: 6 percent.
  • B-positive: 9 percent.
  • B-negative: 2 percent.
  • AB-positive: 3 percent.
  • AB-negative: 1 percent.
If you in the rare group then yes give blood, but as most of us OP or AP no point.

It can only be stored for 42 days, they can freeze for 10 years but that's not good blood.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Wait "couple of packs" of biscuits? As in not just a couple of biscuits but whole packets?

Hmm in this case I might have to give up the D for a year O.O

Caporegime
Loads get dumped except the rare ones.

• O-positive: 38 percent. dumped
  • O-negative: 7 percent.
  • A-positive: 34 percent. dumped
  • A-negative: 6 percent.
  • B-positive: 9 percent.
  • B-negative: 2 percent.
  • AB-positive: 3 percent.
  • AB-negative: 1 percent.
If you in the rare group then yes give blood, but as most of us OP or AP no point.

It can only be stored for 42 days, they can freeze for 10 years but that's not good blood.

So they need constant supply If its being dumped cause it's old it still needs people donating.

Soldato
But if they taking over 100 donors a day and that's mobile and that's just the northwest, most are OP and AP then its crazy.

I agree give blood but don't get too excited unless you in a rare blood group. It will get binned if you in a common group.

The will never be shortage of OP and AP, everything else is in great demand.

Soldato
They won't have mine du to medication, but even if they would they'd have trouble. Getting blood out of me is akin to aping Moses' trick with the stone. The last blood test I had a few months back took three appointments to get blood, first one the nurse tried to find a vein and after digging around for a while gave up and called in another nurse who used to be phlebotomist. She managed to get the needle into a vein, but the moment she loosed the tourniquet thing the needle was forced out with a massive hiss. And that was it for that day as they're only allowed to to try two or three times per appointment for some reason. The second day was basically the same but with different nurses. Third day had a dig around in my other arm with the same results as the first day, until finally, after much trying, she managed to get the needle into the back of my hand and take blood. Then they made me promise never to need another blood test ever again. :D

Soldato
They will be all out of a job soon.

Biomedical engineers produced functional blood platelets - the cells that cause clots to form - from human bone marrow grown in the lab, bringing man-made blood transfusions a step closer. But until now artificial blood and its component parts have only been tested on laboratory mice.

My ex has told me that within less than 10 years the will be no need for blood from people.

A lot of people will be out of work including my ex.

Associate
Just completed forty donations on Friday - did not feel too well over the weekend - first time this has happened.

Hopefully it was just the heat - will try again in November and see what happens - have a rare blood group so it always gets used.

Soldato
My wife was rushed into hospital on Tuesday with a ruptured fallopian tube due to an unknown ectopic pregnancy. They had to remove 2 litres of blood from her that she'd bled internally.

If it wasn't for people like yourselves she wouldn't have made it, especially as she's O- blood type.

Give yourselves a pat on the back because you do make a difference, even if you never know how or why :)

Associate
Gave on Thursday, bit of a wait to be seen but that's #16 in the bag for me now.

I think it's interesting that the website refers to your number of donations as your "donation credits" - what can I redeem them for? :p

Back
Top Bottom