• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Soldato
My mistake, I should have said Id buy the best cpu within reason, £800+ for a cpu is a tad over the top and then you have to buy a overpriced 2011 board. But yeah they are faster as they have more cores, but no where near as fast for raw clock speed,. So the i7 8700k/8086k are the gaming cpu kings for a few weeks anyway... The 8 series still could keep the crown if the information that we have been given is wrong though... We will never really know until the 9 series comes out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah sorry, How well do the i9 cpu's clock, do they make good cpu's for gaming? Im guessing there the cpu you want if you do a lot of decoding or whatever its called, that uses all the cores.

Edit: got my answer from "tomshardware"....... i9 processors are not made with gaming in mind. The i7 processors mostly outperform them due to lesser cores and higher clocks. If you want the best performance, you should go with 8700k/8086k............ I never realized they had 10cores/20threads, thats crazy, so they are poor overclockers as Im guessing they run quite toasty at stock speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah sorry, How well do the i9 cpu's clock, do they make good cpu's for gaming? Im guessing there the cpu you want if you do a lot of decoding or whatever its called, that uses all the cores.

Edit: got my answer from "tomshardware"....... i9 processors are not made with gaming in mind. The i7 processors mostly outperform them due to lesser cores and higher clocks. If you want the best performance, you should go with 8700k/8086k............ I never realized they had 10cores/20threads, thats crazy, so they are poor overclockers as Im guessing they run quite toasty at stock speed.

My current 7900X does 4.8GHz non AVX @ 1.2v. Does just fine for gaming.

Soldato
My current 7900X does 4.8GHz non AVX @ 1.2v. Does just fine for gaming.
Yeah the turbo boosts are about 4.5ghz, so that cpu dont look too bad for gaming if you can get about 4.8ghz out of it. My 8086k is only at 4.9ghz, but I am using my old 2500k cooler....... Ummmm Maybe I should have gone for a 7900X, but it would costed me well over a grand Im guessing, just upgrading to the 8086k was like about £700.

Somebody's never heard of Threadripper then...
I had heard of it, only frorm here, but I didnt know what it ment... So Threadriipper is 10c/20thr? You learn something new every day.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had heard of it, only frorm here, but I didnt know what it ment... So Threadriipper is 10c/20thr? You learn something new every day.

Ah gotcha.

1st generation Threadripper 1950X topped out at 16c/32t. 2nd Generation doubles that with the 2990WX with 32c/64t, 2970WX will be 24c/48t. It's quite mental really, especially as they're cheaper than the i9s too.

Soldato
in fact if it's like that next year I'll probably go with Ice Lake instead of Zen 2.
Intel's 10nm seems similar mess like Olkiluoto 3 nuclear power plant.
(world's second most expensive building, assuming it starts operating next year)
So with currently announced data wouldn't expect actually improved architecture Intels until late next year.
Unless Intel has started to "port" design into 14nm node.

Soldato
How are you going to get it back through customs?
In my bag. Same way you would bring anything you bought on holiday back. Don't really want to drag the topic into this debate again though. Been going to America for 20 years and never once had an issue bringing a personal purchase back into the UK. Not once.
(fags and booze aside).

Soldato
Just curious tis all. Every time I've been to the US since the twin towers fell over I've been hounded for things as simple as headphones in my bag, so was just wondering how a potential core component of a bomb could get through their paranoia when some earbuds couldn't :p

Soldato
OP
How are you going to get it back through customs?

more of the pound failing against the Dollar.. count work out more costly and then as mentioned above, warranty

on a side note... finally starting to get games listing 6 core CPUs as recommended

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/codemasters_reveals_f1_2018_s_pc_system_requirments/1

Processor: Intel Core i5 8600K or AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 or AMD RX 580

Soldato
more of the pound failing against the Dollar.. count work out more costly and then as mentioned above, warranty

on a side note... finally starting to get games listing 6 core CPUs as recommended

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/software/codemasters_reveals_f1_2018_s_pc_system_requirments/1
Eh? I've price checked an 8700k and mobo preliminarily and would save over £100. No concern about warranty. A lot of warranties travel. Besides, never had a mobo fail on me in 20 years.

Anyway. Will keep checking for release dates.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Eh? I've price checked an 8700k and mobo preliminarily and would save over £100. No concern about warranty. A lot of warranties travel. Besides, never had a mobo fail on me in 20 years.

Anyway. Will keep checking for release dates.

was looking at rates, you are right, is cheaper. but when you use actual currency brokers like royal mail etc- there rates arent as good as what Google lists for currency converters. Best check if paying direct with your bank when out there, their current rates and rates when your out there.

mobo's no. not with asus and gigabyte at least. Serial codes are tracked to Distribution , and they handle RMA or replacement from their stock. I know Giga-man trying to help with EU one . but worth double checking

Games like the F1 series doesn't use much processing or gpu power anyway, so no point using maximum cores.

and thats what they are listing, unless you know their engine/ source code by heart ? hopefully if its true what they are recommending - its showing more cores being coded in for which is a good thing finally :)

Soldato
was looking at rates, you are right, is cheaper. but when you use actual currency brokers like royal mail etc- there rates arent as good as what Google lists for currency converters. Best check if paying direct with your bank when out there, their current rates and rates when your out there.

One word. Monzo. You get the mastercard base rate (basically the same as xe.com) and no fees on top. By far the best way to buy things abroad. No getting stung for bad exchange rates or fees.

Soldato
OP
One word. Monzo. You get the mastercard base rate (basically the same as xe.com) and no fees on top. By far the best way to buy things abroad. No getting stung for bad exchange rates or fees.

:D

Tried looking at Roadmaps, only had old ones, Q3 was only time mention, know week numbers.. guessing it was set flexible to match AMD

Back
Top Bottom