• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Soldato
and thats what they are listing, unless you know their engine/ source code by heart ? hopefully if its true what they are recommending - its showing more cores being coded in for which is a good thing finally :)

I hope games dont require stupidly fast cpu's, not yet as Im hoping this 8086k will last me as long as my 2500k did, or longer

Soldato
OP
I hope games dont require stupidly fast cpu's, not yet as Im hoping this 8086k will last me as long as my 2500k did, or longer

Should last you a long time ! What will happen is shift will go from single/dual cores were speed is key (which you have) to multi core , which you'll get extra life span of the CPU.

Your CPU won't struggle with current games that don't use a lot of cores and will increase with performance when they do :)

Associate
hard to say. 2500K lasted a long-ish time. If you think about it it launched in 2011 and only by end of 2017 did Intel change the i5 lineup to 6c.

I think we're going to see a bit of core battle in the next couple years, given how AMD is playing this. i5's in 2 years might be 8c(or 6c/12t) parts. It's hard to predict anything because we didn't have any competition for a lot of time, but now IT'S ON!

Soldato
hard to say. 2500K lasted a long-ish time. If you think about it it launched in 2011 and only by end of 2017 did Intel change the i5 lineup to 6c.

I think we're going to see a bit of core battle in the next couple years, given how AMD is playing this. i5's in 2 years might be 8c(or 6c/12t) parts. It's hard to predict anything because we didn't have any competition for a lot of time, but now IT'S ON!
I do agree, I think the next battle (upcoming) will be core count. It's pretty easy and cheap (in terms of R&D) for Manufacturers to simply "bolt on" MOR CORES! and we are seeing AMD do his with TR to the extreme.

However, for a gamer. I don't see game and engine devs significantly using more than 8 cores any time in the next few years. I think a lot of this will be driven by what is inside consoles.
I assume it is entirely possible to make a game engine from the ground up that uses as many cores as is thrown at it. But really, that actually would concern me. Because you will have a situation where to get the best possible gaming experience you will need to spend north of £2000 on your CPU! (Or even more if it turned out Xeon/Epyc was the best) Whereas now the best gaming CPUs costs only £250-£400. I'm comfortable with that.

However, as I mentioned above, that would mean consoles would require hugely expensive CPUs and that's not going to happen.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's pretty easy and cheap (in terms of R&D) for Manufacturers to simply "bolt on" MOR CORES!

Well, it's not for Intel. They're going to have to plow a lot of money into their mesh design to get the latencies down since the ring bus used on mainstream chips caps at 10 cores (or so it's been discussed). The 10000 series might not be as quick as its predecessors if Intel don't sort it.

Caporegime

There's really no reason why we should require faster cpu's when there's a load of unused cpu cycles on multiple cores that could be put to use. If devs put more time into optimizing for that and taking advantage of the available cpu power then we'd likely see better performance.

Soldato
There's really no reason why we should require faster cpu's when there's a load of unused cpu cycles on multiple cores that could be put to use. If devs put more time into optimizing for that and taking advantage of the available cpu power then we'd likely see better performance.

And now that Intel have relented and started playing the core count game at a mainstream level, devs should have more of an incentive to put the work in.

Soldato
But, but isnt game performance mainly down to the gpu? Going form a 2500k or 2600k to the best cpu, their isnt a huge differmce in game performance, even with a high end gpu.

For me, hardly any diff at all, but Im guessing my R9 290 gpu was about maxed out with the 2600k cpu anyhow?

Associate
Depends on what games you're playing. If you're GPU limited then you won't see as much of a difference, but if you play something like Europa Universalis or Euro Truck Simulator 2, then you'd have seen a much bigger boost. Even CS:GO is properly optimized for multi-core CPUs nowadays.
Either way, you should see better frametimes with the newer CPU.

Soldato

gettyimages-488226322.jpg

Associate
Guess that means our store prices will finally be the same as the ones in the US (but that was mainly because stores there don't include VAT in their prices while our prices do).

Soldato
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom