Kitchen Renovation

Soldato
Haha you are right, but that shows that we never used them all actuall;y, I thought it was 5. But it was seven, the thing is though we only ever used 2-3 at a time.
Can't miss what you don't use! :D

As for the space at the side of the extractor, we wanted the super wide drawers. 900mm wide. We opted for the 600mm hob and extractor, we could have move the wall cupboard in more to reduce the space to extactor, however we wanted the wall cupboards lines to match the lines on the base cupboards, as we prefer this look. There is no right or wrong way, just personal preference really. I do still have the side panels to affix to the wall units either side of the extractor and also the splash back on the wall too.

But you can see the line up of the units in the below pics. Considering this is the first time I've ever undertaken a big project like this myself, I'm extremely happy with the results.
When you say side-panels, do you mean colour-coded with the cupboard doors?

Good job on the lining-up, that pleases me greatly.

Looks good, whilst I understand people will take differing views on what a kitchen "should" have, really without going silly, you should get the kitchen layout that suits you

When you have a dishwasher how often do you really wash up in the sink. We do the odd item, but honestly 99% of whats washed in the sink is veg/fruit.
Pots/pans etc always go in the dish washer. Even xmas it just means you get one load on quick whilst you sort the rest (after the main meal) then reload an hour and half later or so.

God I remember the days as a kid, forced to help wash up etc on xmas day, being like an industrial scale process with people all over. now you just load up, bit of scraping and go flop out in front of the telly ;)

BTW its far better to microwave veg than steam or hob cook. The very short cooking time maximises vitamin retention.
I can't think of a time when we ever have more than 2 pans on the hob, and we make chutneys and things as well.

Soldato
When you have a dishwasher how often do you really wash up in the sink.
I appreciate that this will come down to how we all use our kitchens, but I use the sink all the time.

Why would you want to wait to put the dishwasher on to wash-up a few bits and pieces? Not to mention all the stuff you can not or should not put in one!

We do the odd item, but honestly 99% of whats washed in the sink is veg/fruit.
Again, personal preference here, but if you were using a sink for prepping fruit and veg, why would you not want a 1.5 sink as a minimum?

Clean water in one side, dirty water in the other and preferably, a waste disposal unit under the latter!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Looks good, whilst I understand people will take differing views on what a kitchen "should" have, really without going silly, you should get the kitchen layout that suits you

When you have a dishwasher how often do you really wash up in the sink. We do the odd item, but honestly 99% of whats washed in the sink is veg/fruit.
Pots/pans etc always go in the dish washer. Even xmas it just means you get one load on quick whilst you sort the rest (after the main meal) then reload an hour and half later or so.

God I remember the days as a kid, forced to help wash up etc on xmas day, being like an industrial scale process with people all over. now you just load up, bit of scraping and go flop out in front of the telly ;)

BTW its far better to microwave veg than steam or hob cook. The very short cooking time maximises vitamin retention.
I can't think of a time when we ever have more than 2 pans on the hob, and we make chutneys and things as well.
Spot on with our kitchen usage too. Everybodies needs are different for sure. The sink we have is fine for what little usage it will have. It is actually quite deep. We put stuff in the dishwasher every day, but turn it on when full - not point putting it on for a 1/4 load etc. We have very little in the way of kitchen utilises that are not dishwasher safe, and anything new I check for being dishwasher ready. Why have a dishwasher and hand wash all the time?

Soldato
Using the formula of : one sink with a bowl of soapy water, shared for both washing hands during prep/cooking (de rigueur itself, no?) and washing up as you go (was not sure if glitch meant that), you have cleaned up most of the stuff during spare moments, by the time it is ready to dish-up. -
and the other sink to dispose of dirty vegetable/rinsing water.

I appreciate that this will come down to how we all use our kitchens, but I use the sink all the time.

Why would you want to wait to put the dishwasher on to wash-up a few bits and pieces? Not to mention all the stuff you can not or should not put in one!

Again, personal preference here, but if you were using a sink for prepping fruit and veg, why would you not want a 1.5 sink as a minimum?

Clean water in one side, dirty water in the other and preferably, a waste disposal unit under the latter!

God no thats terribad, bowl of water for veg prep, wash veg/or peel etc and dip and put into pan containing water.

We grow a lot of our own, so we tend to wash it when we bring it home, so its just peeling, needs a smidge of water and put into pan (or microwave safe pot ideally)

The peelings should be composted not shredded!

So even though we have a 1.5 bowl and have had for 10 years is rarely used for anything than tipping a few bits down.

There is virtually nothing that doesn't go in the dishwasher now. Stainless mainly, plus wood items like spoons are far better on a 80-90 degree wash than a middling warm bowl of water ;)

Honestly I cannot remember the last time I hand washed anything. As things become dirty you just put them in. As long as when its basically full you put it on its no drama.
Handwashing uses far more water etc and is far less hygenic, beacuse its far cooler and its time exposed to temperature is far less.

Actually I can remember the last time we hand washed (about 12 months ago), when our old dishwasher broke. My god it took ages, and everything felt far less clean.

Soldato
Looks great!

Having recently fitted out my own kitchen and utility room there was a lot of head scratching, and more than a bit of swearing, but the sense of achievement from doing it yourself is hard to beat.

Soldato
That socket and cable next to the extractor would do my head in.

Explored any options to try stealth it a bit?

I'd be tempted to change the upright shroud to something wider to encompass the socket.

Soldato
BTW its far better to microwave veg than steam or hob cook
If you like carrots yes , but cauli, cabbage are better steamed (brocoli's a brassica too so probably better steamed, but not analysed)
43429997170_6d2fd5c55c_o_d.jpg

Reality is its what your trying to achieve, but at work they say on balance microwaving is best.

Its actually impossible to say one thing is better than another as even within a specific item some things will benefit from the different approach. So if you are specifically trying to maximise a certain thing then its possible some other technique will achieve better.

The general principle is that the more water the more opportunity to have reduced levels of "all the good things" as they can be washed away. Microwaving uses the least of all three methods.

Interesting though as a very long cook at lower temperature, such as slow cooking can give more benefit than all the others, particularly as anything thats washed out is into something else thats going to be consumed (ie the sauce)
The increased cooking time of traditional steaming (microwaving is also steaming basically) for somethings helps to break them down so what in them is easier for the body to take.

I mistakenly asked about this stuff some time ago, and what starts as an easy question starts getting super technical really quickly, and when its PHD level people your having the conversation with I lose the ability to engage after about 15 seconds :)
I am just a lowly bean counter ;)

TLDR ; whats lost can sometimes be offest or exceeded by the change in state of the veggies themselves making whats in them more accessable. The losses are minimised by microwaving, usually vastly increased by boiling.

Soldato
if you were doing washing-up/rinsing - the boiling tap might be useful too, and maybe address issue where for most boiler systems you have 10L of water or so before it runs hot, but I suppose you cant dial it down to wash hands.

I am still intrigued by the sink/drainer choice, having never seen that in friends/family - and would have the same discourse with them, as above,
I don't have the quantity of utensils to avoid wash/re-use during prep either (knives/whisks/chop-boars, or favourite saucepans. )
(but, for my work flow, equally I find the bathroom choice of non-flush bathroom bowl sinks impractical)

[
Reality is its what your trying to achieve, but at work they say on balance microwaving is best.
maybe need to rejuvinate a uwave cooking thread ... but whilst awaiting tiling pictures -
do most restaurant use microwaves for veg ?
If I thought benfits of uwave cooking of vegetables over steaming were great, that would be compelling to get a uwave.
- have never had cabbage cooked in uwave, if there were genuinely no additional liquid I am also sceptical about texture, can steamed potatoes work ?
overcooking in uwaves also seems a problem from friends , with inspection/adding-to being more problematic than a saucepan.
]

if you were doing washing-up/rinsing - the boiling tap might be useful too, and maybe address issue where for most boiler systems you have 10L of water or so before it runs hot, but I suppose you cant dial it down to wash hands.

I am still intrigued by the sink/drainer choice, having never seen that in friends/family - and would have the same discourse with them, as above,
I don't have the quantity of utensils to avoid wash/re-use during prep either (knives/whisks/chop-boars, or favourite saucepans. )
(but, for my work flow, equally I find the bathroom choice of non-flush bathroom bowl sinks impractical)

[

maybe need to rejuvinate a uwave cooking thread ... but whilst awaiting tiling pictures -
do most restaurant use microwaves for veg ?
If I thought benfits of uwave cooking of vegetables over steaming were great, that would be compelling to get a uwave.
- have never had cabbage cooked in uwave, if there were genuinely no additional liquid I am also sceptical about texture, can steamed potatoes work ?
overcooking in uwaves also seems a problem from friends , with inspection/adding-to being more problematic than a saucepan.
]

I have no idea on restaurants. I suspect not, for them great big pots of veg is more the norm isnt it?

Cabbage is fine. Unless your veg is older then its got more than enough moisture in it, like steamers your not aiming to add water, just avoid it drying out. Microwaving is having the same effect basically, but its also heating the moisture in the product.
You microwave in a sealed(ish) container so the steam is contained.

Yes to potatoes also, you can steam them (in the micro) as well as a steamer. You do have to be careful though, its fairly easy with those sorts of things in the micro to literally blow them up!
I tend to stick to green type veggies. runner beans for example definately taste more beany microwaved than boiled/steamed. I normally do a handful for 60 seconds (sliced not cut) and then check, if still a little hard, give another 15 secs etc
Normal 60-90 seconds will do.

Back
Top Bottom