Nasty Gal ad banned over "underweight" model

Soldato
Think I might start complaining about the depiction of fat lasses in adverts for being socially irresponsible as well.

Was just my thoughts when i read the article.

It is double standards, and so much for pushing for equality these days.

Yes there are people of all sizes that like viewing plus-sized models, just the same as there are people of all sizes who like viewing skinny-models.

But to actually phone up and make a complaint about it being socially irresponsible, yet i bet these people would kick off if someone phoned a complaint in to say that a plus-sized model is socially irresponsible.

Permabanned
As I said above, it's insane that we are introducing "suga taxes" and having other such initiatives to reduce child obesity and on the other hand we are celebrating such obesity in models. It's madness.

You say this as though it's some prevailing attitude that's taking over modern society.

No one on here so far seems to think that promoting obesity as a positive body image is good. No one I've ever met or talked in real life about this issue seems to think that promoting obesity as a positive body image is good. My girlfriend and her mother who at this time 3 years ago where both VERY overweight seem to think that promoting obesity as a positive body image is good.

The fashion industry is NOT a good indicator of which way the winds of general social acceptance are blowing. Cosmopolitan and other companies that pull these sort of marketing shticks exist to sell themselves and I guarantee you that that particular front page cover of Cosmo sold like nobodies business because everyone's talking about it.

Increasingly liberal ideals HAVE encouraged the fashion industry to accept plus sized models into the fold, but there is a VERY distinct difference between 'plus sized' and 'obese'. Models like Tess Halliday are exceptionally few and far between by comparison. And even if we do accept that all this is encouraging a SMALL minority of overweight people to stay that way or indeed get bigger, that will never be the sole reason as to why they're that way in the first place. The main reason will likely always be that junk food is cheap and becoming increasingly more convenient for a country that takes very little pride in it's own cuisine's or healthy eating programs.

Associate
You say this as though it's some prevailing attitude that's taking over modern society.

No one on here so far seems to think that promoting obesity as a positive body image is good. No one I've ever met or talked in real life about this issue seems to think that promoting obesity as a positive body image is good. My girlfriend and her mother who at this time 3 years ago where both VERY overweight seem to think that promoting obesity as a positive body image is good.

The fashion industry is NOT a good indicator of which way the winds of general social acceptance are blowing. Cosmopolitan and other companies that pull these sort of marketing shticks exist to sell themselves and I guarantee you that that particular front page cover of Cosmo sold like nobodies business because everyone's talking about it.

Increasingly liberal ideals HAVE encouraged the fashion industry to accept plus sized models into the fold, but there is a VERY distinct difference between 'plus sized' and 'obese'. Models like Tess Halliday are exceptionally few and far between by comparison. And even if we do accept that all this is encouraging a SMALL minority of overweight people to stay that way or indeed get bigger, that will never be the sole reason as to why they're that way in the first place. The main reason will likely always be that junk food is cheap and becoming increasingly more convenient for a country that takes very little pride in it's own cuisine's or healthy eating programs.

Thought you were taking time off from GD?

Associate
that is not underweight, plenty of young women look like that naturally. Is this not shaming naturally thin people for not being prone to packing on weight easily?

Soldato
i feel sorry for women here. They always have to conform it seems. Too skinny and be ashamed, too fat and be ashamed. What is this world coming to?!

If you dont want to look at it, dont look at it. Let people deal with their own issues and stop sticking your nose in and trying to change the world because it "isnt healthy" or "isnt nice to look at".

People die young due to being overweight and people die young for being too skinny. When was it made everyone elses problem? This kind of thing is just getting way out of hand and although it it sounds harsh people just need to care less about these kinds of things.

Yes we can say our kids are being influenced but come on, what happened to parents actually pulling kids to the side and teaching them how it really is and explaining that having a body like that is not realist to most people due to genetics.

If the parents are not aware enough to be able to do this or simply dont care then so what? Those kids might slip through the net. This is how it has always been but suddenly over the last couple of decades everyone got real sensitive and started to care a lot more about issues that barely affect them or dont affect them at all!

People need to grow up.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Since edited my original post

It was made everybody else's problem when 10% of the nhs budget is spent on type 2 diabetes treatment. Something that is preventable in the vast vast majority of cases by maintaining a healthy weight.
Excess weight leads to increased rates of cancer, Alzheimer's, strokes amongst others. Devastating conditions.
I don't know about you but id like to spend more money on treating people who have not contributed to their health issues rather than those who have.

And clearly you've missed the massive increase in obesity rates at all ages over the last few decades.

That's why people care. That's why people should be aware of their size.

Permabanned
It was made everybody else's problem when 10% of the nhs budget is spent on type 2 diabetes treatment. Something that is preventable in the vast vast majority of cases by maintaining a healthy weight.
Excess weight leads to increased rates of cancer, Alzheimer's, strokes amongst others. Devastating conditions.
I don't know about you but id like to spend more money on treating people who have not contributed to their health issues rather than those who have.

Omg...a world where we want people to be healthy and not do themselves harm! The horror of it.

I agree with that, but the language used by many here is nothing short of despicable. You don't encourage a healthier lifestyle by berating and bullying those who aren't already aspiring to one. In fact it often feeds the problem. You have to educate from the ground up and even with that it'll take a generation or two for it to take hold.

Soldato

And clearly you've missed the massive increase in obesity rates at all ages over the last few decades.

That's why people care. That's why people should be aware of their size.
Maybe thats just the way it is and we need this period of "problems" to eventually get the message out and people to take notice and stop eating themselves to death. But you gotta die of something right? Look i just think that internet warriors and twitter complaints are not the right way to go about it. Leave it to the people that manage the NHS and the budgets it gets to get the message out. The general public need to stop getting their pitch forks out every time something contentious like this is released and just get on with their own lives.

Caporegime
Maybe thats just the way it is and we need this period of "problems" to eventually get the message out and people to take notice and stop eating themselves to death. But you gotta die of something right? Look i just think that internet warriors and twitter complaints are not the right way to go about it. Leave it to the people that manage the NHS and the budgets it gets to get the message out. The general public need to stop getting their pitch forks out every time something contentious like this is released and just get on with their own lives.

Why? We complain that as a society we're becoming more disjointed as disparate then when people do try and improve things you're now complaining?
Not everything is on the NHS to fix. People have responsibility for their own health.
And as for you've got to die of something, bugger it then, why do we have healthcare at all?

Soldato
I watched John Carpenter's Halloween last night (1978) at the cinema which was a pleasure! I noticed something that always catches my attention with movies from the 1960s / 1970s, everyone is so slim! Most people look like they're 28-30" waist, it was just the norm to be slim. I imagine they'd all be banned now.

In 2018 - healthy slim people seem to be very rare, watching movies from 30-40 years ago really is an eye opener.

I think "body positivity" is a result of people who don't have the will or determination to change, by turning a problem into a blessing, they're feeding this insane delusion that everything is fine.

In a world where you can't criticise the actions of someone making poor choices, without literally being branded as the anti-christ, it feeds into this weird social construct where we're supposed to sit back and accept that it's fine to be 25 stone, any attempt to say "that's wrong" even by a doctor - is seen as some sort of discrimination or racism.

Caporegime

No one on here so far seems to think that promoting obesity as a positive body image is good. No one I've ever met or talked in real life about this issue seems to think that promoting obesity as a positive body image is good.

Start watching the breakfast shows.

Or did you miss the huge backlash when cancer UK ran its obesity is the 2nd largest cause of cancer?

That got slammed and that fat comedian is currently writing a book about how being fat is good.

There is a big push not just in fashion to accept fat as normal

Back
Top Bottom