• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

please just stop it, stop buying

Soldato
Then what exactly has been all the marketing push for 144Hz - 240Hz monitors, to then tell us 60fps is more than enough.

I dont know, to me it makes no sense.

For FPS games I think its improved response times, but I honestly cannot see any visible improved smoothness on 120fps vs 60.

144 was always a weird number but done purely for marketing as 144 is a bigger number than 120, and 240 I think we getting completely silly now.

As I said I personally dont get it how so many have brought into it.

I remember when the ps4 launched someone showed some fake footage saying its 1080 vs 720 (both were actually 720) and loads of people were like wow that 1080p is so much better LOL, a lot of it is placebo in my view. I know many wont agree with me, but thats just how I see it.

So to me a real test is if you showed 120 vs 60 (not labeled), and then seeing if a clear majority could tell the difference. Likewise for 240 vs 120.

As an example if you watch say a 60 FPS GN video on youtube, does his hand movements etc. seem not the same as if you was looking at him from your eyes directly?

Also according to telemetry data and feedback on forums, the steady option is the most popular on FF15 ps4 pro.

The 3 options are.

Steady - 30fps fixed 1080p, generally there is no stuttering or frame drops, works really well by console standards. I run this mode its by far the best for me.
Lite - Same graphics fidelity as steady but 60fps target, usually hovers at 40-60. Least popular setting.
High mode - 1800p upscaled to 4k, increase draw distances and LOD. 30fps target, but stutters pretty badly as console not capable.

In fact steady wasnt originally there on FF15 for the ps4 pro, square enix added it after a barrage of complaints that people didnt like the 60fps target.

Also what about fast sync?

Nvidia said they developed that so people got the better response times but it still outputs at lower framerates to the monitor, so it renders as fast as possible but limits its display output hz.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can easily tell the difference between 60 and 90-100+fps, that's simple enough to test by just limiting fps of a game in the console and then moving the mouse around. Higher hz isn't marketing, there is a difference but it gets much smaller as you go up since 30fps = 33ms, 60 = 16, 120 = 8, 165 = 6 and 240 = 4.

240 is just silly though as hardly anyone would be able to hold that probably even at 1080p. That's the point I'd say you'd be better off at 1440p and refresh not as high.. I mean that's 75fps extra needed just to get another 2ms response time over 165hz.

Associate
i cannot fathom being unable to tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz. Its like when I saw an ipad pro with their 120hz screens vs the regular potato ipad and its 60 hz screen... night and day in terms of smoothness...

Soldato
If I was watching someone play a game at a solid 60fps I doubt I could tell the difference between that and 144fps. If I was the one playing I could sense the difference for sure. It's more how it feels then how it looks but, in desktop you can actually see how sluggish the windows are when you move them about in 60hz vs 144hz. I can always tell if a monitor has 60hz and for that I can't go back to it. Once you've tried 144hz you don't go back. Also why I won't be buying a 4k monitor anytime soon.

Soldato
I have been lurking this thread and my two pence is that enjoy life and if you can buy such things without it affecting paying bills and a roof over your head and it gives u yoursel enjoyment then why not?

i understand completely the OP as i too have complained about other items being overpriced. i simple dont buy it and move on really

Soldato
If I was watching someone play a game at a solid 60fps I doubt I could tell the difference between that and 144fps. If I was the one playing I could sense the difference for sure. It's more how it feels then how it looks but, in desktop you can actually see how sluggish the windows are when you move them about in 60hz vs 144hz. I can always tell if a monitor has 60hz and for that I can't go back to it. Once you've tried 144hz you don't go back. Also why I won't be buying a 4k monitor anytime soon.
are there any 144mhz 30incg IPS panel monitors with 100% rgb colour accuracy?

Soldato
I dont know, to me it makes no sense.

For FPS games I think its improved response times, but I honestly cannot see any visible improved smoothness on 120fps vs 60.

144 was always a weird number but done purely for marketing as 144 is a bigger number than 120, and 240 I think we getting completely silly now.

As I said I personally dont get it how so many have brought into it.

I remember when the ps4 launched someone showed some fake footage saying its 1080 vs 720 (both were actually 720) and loads of people were like wow that 1080p is so much better LOL, a lot of it is placebo in my view. I know many wont agree with me, but thats just how I see it.

So to me a real test is if you showed 120 vs 60 (not labeled), and then seeing if a clear majority could tell the difference. Likewise for 240 vs 120.

As an example if you watch say a 60 FPS GN video on youtube, does his hand movements etc. seem not the same as if you was looking at him from your eyes directly?

Also according to telemetry data and feedback on forums, the steady option is the most popular on FF15 ps4 pro.

The 3 options are.

Steady - 30fps fixed 1080p, generally there is no stuttering or frame drops, works really well by console standards. I run this mode its by far the best for me.
Lite - Same graphics fidelity as steady but 60fps target, usually hovers at 40-60. Least popular setting.
High mode - 1800p upscaled to 4k, increase draw distances and LOD. 30fps target, but stutters pretty badly as console not capable.

In fact steady wasnt originally there on FF15 for the ps4 pro, square enix added it after a barrage of complaints that people didnt like the 60fps target.

Also what about fast sync?

Nvidia said they developed that so people got the better response times but it still outputs at lower framerates to the monitor, so it renders as fast as possible but limits its display output hz.
Some people are just more sensitive to it than others

Soldato
they are too cheap, only the titan V has been a decent price, if its under £2500 you might as well just give up and become a console peasant. I guess 2 way 2080ti could be acceptable.

Soldato
@Reality|Bites Im not buying one even though I could easily afford a few 2080ti's but I'm not going to moan if someone else dose and enjoys it even If i know the ti vs ti increases is a **** take (even consigning the much bigger die and much more pricey PCB).

Get angry at AMD for abandoning the the high end on only giving competitive if flawed mid range which has added fuel to the fire some what.

Soldato
I have been lurking this thread and my two pence is that enjoy life and if you can buy such things without it affecting paying bills and a roof over your head and it gives u yoursel enjoyment then why not?

i understand completely the OP as i too have complained about other items being overpriced. i simple dont buy it and move on really
Agree completely.
Gawd knows what some think of those paying £100k+ for a car when they have such opinions around those spending a meesly(in comparison) £1k on a GPU. If we look in the car forum or other forums, I'm not sure we see anyone complaining about the price of top end items or those that buy them like we do with GPU's. Speed limit is 70MPH, surely Ferrari owners are being ripped off for example? Doesn't matter if they may be millionnaires with huge amount of disposable cash, we'll just ignore that and call them irresponsible with money ?:). I don't see any "Please stop buying Apple products" threads in the mobiles forum because they have this £1k+ top end phone.
Anyway, back to something more worthy of discussion is FPS. To be honest I think most would find 60FPS acceptable if it's a consistent. What affects real world gameplay (rather then reviews) is how a game feels when playing - frequent dips is what ruins things.

Last edited:
Soldato
Get angry at AMD for abandoning the the high end on only giving competitive if flawed mid range which has added fuel to the fire some what.

Hahahahah. Oxymoron post as always. "AMD's fault".
If GTX1080 was considered high end, then AMD hasn't abandoned the "high end band".
If GTX1080 was considered mid tier, then seriously ain't worth the £500 pricetag.... :p

Soldato
^^ Ha don't try and reason with them. Pointless exercise, green goblins foaming at the mouth more than usual. You'll get caught in the crossfire xD

Surprisingly there aren't many foaming goblins in the Graphic card section. Pay visit in General discussion section, the situation is worse.
You write the status of a whole area (which can be found on local news) like the Balkans and East Med, and frothing posters calling everything you wrote as fantasies and conspiracy theories.
Regardless if the articles posted on there, are are official government positions, and from newspapers with "weight" similar to Times, Telegraph and Guardian (Not the Sun or Daily Express) from 5 different countries.

After that all is lost.

Back
Top Bottom