• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Battlefield V performance

Associate
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Battlefield_V/4.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/battlefield-v-pc-performance-benchmarks.html

What immediately struck me was how poorly the 980 Ti is doing in the Guru3D evaluation. There's no way in hell it should be outstripped by a 1060 or 470 in any circumstances. Driver issue surely? I'm sure I got about 60fps at Ultra/1440p in the beta (but then not all graphical features may have been available).

A very strong showing for the Vega cards, my brothers are even more pleased with their Vega 56 cards after seeing this.

Soldato
Maybe it's a bit of a flaw in the testing. Or the 980 Ti is rubbish with DX 12? 1070 vs 980 Ti is massively faster now according to that (67 FPS vs 39 @1440P), when it was on par, or only slightly faster when first released. Backs up my belief if buying new you want to be on the latest gen.

Only the half-****** version of BFV is out at present. No RT or DLSS apparently.

Soldato
Maybe it's a bit of a flaw in the testing. Or the 980 Ti is rubbish with DX 12? 1070 vs 980 Ti is massively faster now according to that (67 FPS vs 39 @1440P), when it was on par, or only slightly faster when first released. Backs up my belief if buying new you want to be on the latest gen.

Only the half-****** version of BFV is out at present. No RT or DLSS apparently.

DICE said early RTX support in upcoming patch should be out in next few days before Battlefield V Deluxe Edition release on 15 November 2018.

Associate
A very strong showing for the Vega cards, my brothers are even more pleased with their Vega 56 cards after seeing this.

Frostbite is a engine that drives hardware upgrades when they can have 8 cores recommendation and many other game engines still well...
Yea so happy with my vega56 I bought recently.

Soldato
Haven't clicked on links. But if this is in DX12 well then... :o

Every one expected DX11 to perform better than DX12 and early reviews I've read confirm this.

I would love it if DICE could sort this out as so far DX12 has been a big disappointment.

"We tested DX12 mainly, as mentioned for the aforementioned reasons. We, however, recommend you using DX11 for now, it's far more stutter free and is a notch faster as well, we measured anything from 5 to 15 percent faster perf on DX11. DX12, however, will be needed for future testing with DirectX Raytracing, ergo we opt that render path. "

Ouch! Seems DXR is tied to DX12. Which means crappy performance! Excellent.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ouch! Seems DXR is tied to DX12. Which means crappy performance! Excellent.
And who is to blame for that really? The game devs. This is one of the reasons I dislike all the moaning about GPU prices; if game developers better optimised their games and especially for PC hardware, we wouldn't need the top end GPU's. Although people will still want them I suppose.
Lower levels API's should enable better performance if implemented properly. I guess lack of time is one of the problems and in this case DX11 implementation performs better, when it probably shouldn't.

Last edited:
Soldato
Frostbite has always performed horrible with DirectX 12, it was only Mantle that did excellent vs DirectX 11. I have no idea why they are struggling to get DirectX 12 working correctly, its a stutter fest.

Permabanned
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Battlefield_V/4.html

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/battlefield-v-pc-performance-benchmarks.html

What immediately struck me was how poorly the 980 Ti is doing in the Guru3D evaluation. There's no way in hell it should be outstripped by a 1060 or 470 in any circumstances. Driver issue surely? I'm sure I got about 60fps at Ultra/1440p in the beta (but then not all graphical features may have been available).

This is why suggesting someone buys a last gen Nvidia card over the latest is giving bad advice, When Pascal first released a lot of people here were suggesting a 980ti over a 1070, Fast forward to today and in a lot of new games the 1070 has a significant lead over the 980ti, Today the 1080ti is often suggested over the 2080, more bad advice, People who upgrade with each new generation get a very different experience to those that want a card to last them 3 or 4 years.

Soldato
This is why suggesting someone buys a last gen Nvidia card over the latest is giving bad advice, When Pascal first released a lot of people here were suggesting a 980ti over a 1070, Fast forward to today and in a lot of new games the 1070 has a significant lead over the 980ti, Today the 1080ti is often suggested over the 2080, more bad advice, People who upgrade with each new generation get a very different experience to those that want a card to last them 3 or 4 years.

I agree with you. But what they are basing it on is raw performance on current and last gen games.

What they are forgetting is next gen games will be targeted at the new generation of hardware.

Soldato
Yeah probably driver issue with 980 Ti saw poor DirectX 12 performance but GameGPU tested Battlefield V DirectX 11 put 980 Ti behind GTX 1070, not RX 470.

https://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/battlefield-v-test-gpu-cpu

It's not a driver issue, it's hardware limitations. Nvidia cards didn't have proper async until the 10 series (where as older AMD cards did) and not having it kills dx12 performance.

But looking at the min vs max settings. People have an advantage using min because far less ground foliage lol. You could be hiding in a bush which just isn't there for someone who turned the detail down. Schoolboy error by devs...

Associate
Pre-ordered this (would have purchased anyway so why not) fully expecting that raytracing will be worthless on my 2080 but happy to be proven wrong.

Soldato
I really don't know what the problem is. For example we can go further back a few years and wonder why DX12 still hasn't taken off. :confused:

If DX12 was what it's meant to be the majority of AAA games would be using it as default by now. (Performance would stellar not degraded as well)

Vulkan is niche as well.

Back
Top Bottom