• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Windforce sounds like dishwasher

Soldato
Silverstone FT05

Aluminium cases with side windows are not the best for sound proofing. I've had Aluminium in the past and yes it's nice an light, but noise deadening aspects are very poor.
Very susceptible to vibrations and you can hear everything. If you have no fans running the difference when a GPU fan kicks in is going to be more noticeable than if you already had some low level fan noise.

Also that's not a big case because of the vertical mounting system, even the massive Raven used up a lot of it's size to accommodate this system. (I had to send my Raven back because of a major manufacturing fault)

It's probably not up to the job of keeping the ambient temps down with all your fans off with that beast of a 2080ti in it.

The 2080ti's heat sink may not work very well in that orientation as it's unlikely they designed it to run in that orientation.

A custom fan curve with a them set to start up at a higher temp may fix the issue, but I'm not sure if I'd want to do that myself as they have set it to come on at a certain point for a reason.

Permabanned
The FT05 is a vertical case with air input at the bottom, the card mounted vertically, and the air outflow at the top. It makes use of the fact that hot air rises. Plus I don't get GPU sag.

I get what your saying but as I pointed out heat naturally rising won't matter, having no moving airflow means your passive cpu heatsink is acting like a radiator does in your house, you could set up a slow fan speed for the case fans that you can't hear that would make things a bit better, but if you don't want to you'll just have to live with the noise. As I mentioned yesterday I watched this review on the case and he has it apart so you can see the space your airflow needs to move through at around 2:35 and it's not open enough to get the hot air out of the case without help, even if you remove the unused slot covers it won't be enough, you're trying to run high-end components in a case with zero airflow, I don't know how else to put it but that's the problem.

Caporegime
Those type of cases aren't really suited to "open air" coolers, they're more suited to regular blower styles. Part of the manual even has this diagram showing this:

RBIn58A.png

Vertical cases like that tend to buffet the hot air around inside for a bit with a triple fan card. Had similar issues with my 7990 in a silverstone FT02 getting to 100c.

Associate
I get what your saying but as I pointed out heat naturally rising won't matter, having no moving airflow means your passive cpu heatsink is acting like a radiator does in your house, you could set up a slow fan speed for the case fans that you can't hear that would make things a bit better, but if you don't want to you'll just have to live with the noise

I have been running passive at idle since my 2500k and every cpu generation since. As long as the case allows heated air to rise and escape from the top of the case, and you have power savings enabled then you are 100% fine without needing any assistance from a case fan.

As for the gpu fan kicking in, are you running multiple monitors? If so run the extra ones from the onboard gpu.
Check that your gpu is clocking down.
Install the newest driver as it contains some power management fix.
As for noisy fans, you are just unlucky, happens to the best of us.

Enjoy your card and stop sweating the small stuff.

Associate
Hello,

I had some time off last week and stayed off all things digital. I will check if this should be happening and get back to you. Sounds like it should not be doing that.

Soldato
I don't have a problem with the fan kicking in; I do have a problem with the noise it makes when it does.

What orientation is your card in? I've had issues in the past with certain models of card being fine when in the "fans down" position but start making noises in a fans to the side position. E.g. fine in a standing up case but noisy in a case where the motherboard lays flat.

Soldato
OP
I had some time off last week and stayed off all things digital. I will check if this should be happening and get back to you. Sounds like it should not be doing that.

Thanks. The noise isn't as loud now which makes me thing something is rubbing and gradually wearing away. Ironically this makes me more concerned.

What orientation is your card in?

Vertical.

Soldato
Thanks. The noise isn't as loud now which makes me thing something is rubbing and gradually wearing away. Ironically this makes me more concerned.

Vertical.

Yeah, best off looking at models with ball bearing fans for vertical mounting, or see if you can switch it around to see if the noise goes away.

Soldato
I think the orientation is a red herring I have got the 1080ti Windforce and previous to that a 980 Windforce in a FT02 - same orientation, just bigger and it runs fine, no noise problems.

Soldato
Had similar problems with the 1080Ti zotac cards as well as the lightning. One of the reasons I’d only ever go Msi or block again.

The zotac was particularly annoying as you got a brief jump from 0 to 500rpm in a millisecond at which all you could hear was the torque required to start the fans up. Kind of like blipping an angle grinder on and off again.

Nothing I could do in afterburner made any difference.

Does sound like something that could easily be rectified with a bios update however.

Soldato
I think the orientation is a red herring I have got the 1080ti Windforce and previous to that a 980 Windforce in a FT02 - same orientation, just bigger and it runs fine, no noise problems.

I've got about 20 GPU's and the only ones that make weird fan noise are the windforce ones - 2 of the 5 i have, they both go silent if i put them the other way.

Associate
Was there ever a solution to this? @GIGA-Man

I am having the same problem with my Gigabyte Gaming OC 2080 TI 11GB. When idle, even with the case wide open and no overclock, the GPU heats up to 51 degrees and then the fan kicks in. It pulses repeatedly until it drops to 48 degrees, then 30 seconds to a minute later it does it again.

I didn't buy a $2k (AUD) card with a silent idle fan cut off feature only for it to not actually run silent when idle. The fan cut off was the primary reason we chose this card. :( My Gigabyte 980 TI manages this fine, so I know it should be possible. I'm guessing something's icky with the default GPU BIOS fan curve and hysteresis setting? I don't know. I have proof of purchase and everything - I'm in Australia.

Having to load third party software up at boot is less than ideal, especially when exiting Gigabyte's software 'locks' the fan speed to whatever it was when it exited - so I can actually have my GPU stuck at 0% fan speed even in games pushing it to the thermal limit! I tried making fan curves, but anything less than 33% speed and the fans just pulse on/off there too.

Back
Top Bottom