• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Windforce sounds like dishwasher

Soldato
Was there ever a solution to this? @GIGA-Man

I am having the same problem with my Gigabyte Gaming OC 2080 TI 11GB. When idle, even with the case wide open and no overclock, the GPU heats up to 51 degrees and then the fan kicks in. It pulses repeatedly until it drops to 48 degrees, then 30 seconds to a minute later it does it again..
At what temperature are the fans meant to kick in at ?

As maybe you do not have enough air flow in the case from your PC case fans to keep the 2080ti temperature to below it fan kick in temperature..

Associate
I sort of have this with my Inno3d 2080 ti (although the temporary noise boost is not particularly loud as the card uses pretty decent Scythe 92mm fans that don't need much voltage to go from 0 to low rpm mode).

When the fan exits is 0 rpm idle state they boost the voltage/power a bit to make sure they start spinning, hence the motors briefly spike a ~10/12v. You could play with the curves and try to make the 0-normal rpm switching occur less frequently, or just let the fans run at ~10% speed all the time. Maybe Gigabyte is using cheaper fans that need a lot of power to exit 0rpm mode?

Associate
Chaparral, I've tested it with my case wide open. It still happens. 2080 TI Gaming OC GPU heats up on idle, fan starts, GPU cools, fan stops, every couple of seconds. This is with everything at default and during idle, with no third party software running, no overclock and no customized fan curve. I've tried testing it with just one monitor plugged instead of two as well; the temperature rises a little slower to start with but it still gets to pulse stage.

My Gigabyte Windforce 980TI does not do this. It runs cooler under load as well. I don't understand why a more powerful video card that is twice as expensive is somehow less heat efficient with the same video settings and frame limit.

Exsurgo, unfortunately if I do try setting my own fan curve with third party software, anything below 33% speed makes the fans 'pulse' repeatedly. That's 1100 RPM. If I manually crank up the fan speed very high I'm able to bring it down a bit lower than that, but I have to do that every time I boot up; it can't seem to figure out not to pulse on its own. None of the curves I've designed seem to prevent this from happening, unless I'm running a constant 33%. And here I didn't buy a cheaper Inno 3D card because I thought Gigabyte was the better brand! >_<

Soldato
OP
Was there ever a solution to this? @GIGA-Man

I never heard from him. I sort of fixed the issue by enabling a case fan beneath the GPU and applying the BIOS update. The GPU fans are now on constantly (1165 RPM) and the card is running at 56C. I've traded the dishwasher sound for the constant noise of the fans. :(

Anyone who tells you that fans are silent is simply not telling the truth. You just need to sit in a quiet room with the PC on.

Associate
That's disappointing. I'm yet to here from customer support online.

How did you get the fans to run at a constant speed on low without needing third party software running all the time? For my Gaming OC the newest BIOS (F3) does not get the fans running at constant low speed.

From what I'm reading what we want is a decent hysteresis setting. https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/temperature-hysteresis.329435/#post-3715485

Soldato
Chaparral, I've tested it with my case wide open. It still happens. 2080 TI Gaming OC GPU heats up on idle, fan starts, GPU cools, fan stops, every couple of seconds. This is with everything at default and during idle, with no third party software running, no overclock and no customized fan curve. I've tried testing it with just one monitor plugged instead of two as well; the temperature rises a little slower to start with but it still gets to pulse stage.

My Gigabyte Windforce 980TI does not do this. It runs cooler under load as well. I don't understand why a more powerful video card that is twice as expensive is somehow less heat efficient with the same video settings and frame limit.

Exsurgo, unfortunately if I do try setting my own fan curve with third party software, anything below 33% speed makes the fans 'pulse' repeatedly. That's 1100 RPM. If I manually crank up the fan speed very high I'm able to bring it down a bit lower than that, but I have to do that every time I boot up; it can't seem to figure out not to pulse on its own. None of the curves I've designed seem to prevent this from happening, unless I'm running a constant 33%. And here I didn't buy a cheaper Inno 3D card because I thought Gigabyte was the better brand! >_<

Do you have anything running in the background? Is the card downclocking as required at idle? Should be in the hundreds of MHz range at idle.

As it shouldn’t be at 56c idle anyway with a cooler as large as the wind force. Most Msi and EVGA cards are set to 60c idle before the fans start to come on and that usually is light gaming load.

Chances are gigabyte will release a bios fix if that is the issue.

Last edited:
Associate
Nothing running in the background. Actual idle, down clocking. 300MHz Graphics, 405MHz Memory.

Single monitor testing:
- GPU at ~5% on 1920x1080 120hz monitor, takes longer to get to point of cycling.
- GPU at ~7% on 2560x1440 120hz monitor.

Dual monitor testing:
- GPU at ~7.5% on both monitors.

51 degrees is where it kicks in here, which is too low imho. Wish I could save fan settings to its BIOS, something sensible like turning on at 60 and cooling down by 10 before switching back off.

I'm going to try fitting a quiet case fan next to it, see if that slows the cycle down.

I would re-install the original F1 BIOS to see if that helps (instead of the newest F3 I got from their website) but I'm unable to locate it anywhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nothing running in the background. Actual idle, down clocking. 300MHz Graphics, 405MHz Memory.

Single monitor testing:
- GPU at ~5% on 1920x1080 120hz monitor, takes longer to get to point of cycling.
- GPU at ~7% on 2560x1440 120hz monitor.

Dual monitor testing:
- GPU at ~7.5% on both monitors.

51 degrees is where it kicks in here, which is too low imho. Wish I could save fan settings to its BIOS, something sensible like turning on at 60 and cooling down by 10 before switching back off.

I'm going to try fitting a quiet case fan next to it, see if that slows the cycle down.

You are unable to say set this to 60c in Msi afterburner? Which is far better software than the gigabytes.

You could probably force it by flashing it with an Msi duke 2080Ti bios which should give you full control of the fans. An option but would probably void the warranty. Until it was flashed back with an updated/original bios at least ;).

Soldato
Associate
I was unable to set it to to have a higher idle fan setting in Precision X1 - it still kicked in at 51 degrees. I've uninstalled that and installed MSI Afterburner which has fan speeds greyed out and won't let me adjust them at all. I feel like an idiot but I can't find any setting that gives me access. I'll download the beta and update this post.

Edit: Beta works. I'm trying a custom fan curve now that doesn't start until 55 degrees.

--

I'd considered re-flashing the BIOS except I don't know what other risks I'm invoking and if it dies I can't exactly flash the BIOS back... and it's a $2k card. It seems I'm not the only one who thinks the new BIOS makes it run hotter. I believe I followed the instructions; at least I hope I did. I'll try my backup ROM. http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/5197/2080-gaming-higher-power-limit?page=14

My card definitely has the 0db feature - it just keeps turning on and off at 51 degrees.

The BIOS is supposed to be on that page; it's the same layout as where I found my BIOS. Sometimes you can use the provided utility and that checks for and provides updates itself.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was unable to set it to to have a higher idle fan setting in Precision X1 - it still kicked in at 51 degrees. I've uninstalled that and installed MSI Afterburner which has fan speeds greyed out and won't let me adjust them at all. I feel like an idiot but I can't find any setting that gives me access. I'll download the beta and update this post.

I'd considered re-flashing the BIOS except I don't know what other risks I'm invoking and if it dies I can't exactly flash the BIOS back... and it's a $2k card. It seems I'm not the only one who thinks the new BIOS makes it run hotter. I believe I followed the instructions; at least I hope I did. I'll try my backup ROM. http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/5197/2080-gaming-higher-power-limit?page=14

My card definitely has the 0db feature - it just keeps turning on and off at 51 degrees.

The BIOS is supposed to be on that page; it's the same layout as where I found my BIOS. Sometimes you can use the provided utility and that checks for and provides updates itself.

Have you enabled user defined software automatic fan control from the fan tab within AB?

Associate
Had to install the beta to get it to work, but yes, thank you kindly. Afterburner is a functional solution for now, but it's so disappointing that it's required. I tried raising the cut off to 60 degrees. The idle temp still goes on rising over 51, so obviously there's not enough in the way of passive cooling going on here. However with the hysteresis feature of the software working and the curve managing the speed vs temp well (similar to here: https://i.imgur.com/NWnmSPr.png) I can have a PC which is generally quiet, and only occasionally revving up 'once' to quieten down instead of pulsing.

Best feature of Afterburner: When I exit the software, the GPU remembers how to function normally. This means I don't actually need Afterburner all the time and can forget to turn it on unless bothered, e.g. when I want a quieter PC for work.

I am relieved. Thanks again.

Without Afterburner: I tried reflashing the GPU BIOS, going back down a version. They run at the same idle voltage and trip fans at the same temperature, so that's not it. It pulses nine times, drops 2 degrees, starts over. I updated the CPU BIOS, and that did nothing.

Edit 1: Installed a Fractal side-exit fan next to GPU. Had to run at max 900 RPM to slow and stop gradual heat rise at 49-50 degrees. Just barely. Not quiet enough.

Edit 2: Switched to Noctua intake at 450 RPM for better result and quieter overall. Just needs a magnetic dust filter - but I expect that'll change the noise. Afterburner with hysteresis really is the easier solution.

I wonder if this is why reviewers had idle temps for this card from 35-42 degrees - maybe they all had side fans on their cases, or just more air flow overall.

Now all I have to do is find a case that has dust filters I can pull out from a swing door front, ventilation that comes from the sides at the top rather than from the top itself (my birds like to go to roost there) and fit it with the quietest fans that have the biggest air flow. Or I could remove the shroud maybe and add quieter fans directly on to the card myself. Ha...

TLDR: Consider using case air flow to provide better cooling for the idle card. It doesn't need much, but it turns out 'open case' =/= air flow. Alternatively, use Afterburner beta with a 5C+ hysteresis setting.

Edit 3: It's still happening, have to have the fan rather fast to try and cope with this.

Last edited:
Associate
Here's what it looks like.

5mbrIxn

5mbrIxn

8bk8KVg.gif

The fan doesn't run continuously at anything below 35% and just 'pulses' instead. However, according to this the default fan curve (the one that comes with the GPU) is actually trying to get the fan running at anywhere between 2 and 12%. Because the fan can't do this, it pulses from 0 to 1100 RPM repeatedly.

Above image from running as single monitor, no other things running, 1920x1080 at 120hz, no overclocks anywhere, open case. Also happens with case-fan blowing at it if not high enough. Here's the 0.1s chart from GPU-Z to go with it. https://file.io/mhSJhY

Soldato
OP
The GPU fans are now on constantly (1165 RPM) and the card is running at 56C. I've traded the dishwasher sound for the constant noise of the fans. :(

I must have caught the GPU at a bad time because the GPU fan is now pulsing as it did before.

ctu.png

I still have the noise of the case fan, though.

Associate
Sorry, the pictures are broken links in my attempts to get the forum format working correctly for me. I couldn't figure out how to delete them afterwards. Just the one image. How often is your GPU-Z log updating? That right there is what I'm bothered by too. Notice how although the fan can't start until 33%, the fan curve actually curves down slower than the fan will handle - thus the mad pulsing.

I'm glad Gigabyte is looking into it. They responded on esupport and said that idle temps should be below 51 degrees, but they haven't clarified exactly what they should be yet - and I'm not certain the first chap who replied will stick with that initial statement, either. Once they provide that information I'll know whether I have grounds to take it back to the store for RMA.

For now I'm replacing my Kraken 61 with a Noctua NH-D15 so I can heavily improve my case air flow, not risk AIO leaking on expensive card & getting a dust filter + larger side-case fan to try and mitigate the variation in noise levels... though honestly it's at way past the point where Afterburner at start up really is just way easier. Feels like I developed blinkers.

Back
Top Bottom