• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Windforce sounds like dishwasher

Soldato
I've got an interesting issue with my Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti. I'm sure I've bored everyone to death with it by now but noise is a thing for me. I have a fanless CPU cooler (Nofan CR-95) and the case fans in my Silverstone FT05 are off (I can switch them on). The fans on the RTX obviously come on when I'm gaming, but I've noticed that they intermittently come on when in desktop mode. They only come on for a second or two and then stop and it's the middle one first then the bottom (the card is mounted vertically). And the effect is to make a brief noise not unlike a dishwasher. Given there are no other sources of noise in the room it is quite noticeable. And annoying. And when the middle one is on at a low speed for some time (like right now) it makes a sort of ticking noise.

Everything is on default, no overclocking, no fan profiles, no nothing.

Paging @GIGA-Man

Soldato
OP
Sounds like poor air flow in your case so the fans kick in for a second to cook the card

The air flow in my case is natural. It's a Silverstone FT05 so hot air should naturally rise up and away from the card. I'm not actually worried about the fans kicking in; I am annoyed at the noise they make when they do.

Sounds like extra value to me - the new Nvidia RTX series - plays games and washes your dishes!

LOL!

Soldato
OP
I'd monitor the gpu temps to see when it kicks in and then work off that.

The GPU temps are fine - the fan shouldn't be kicking in.

Sounds too much like a possible wife to me :p. Return it ASAP.

Actually, I may well be returning it. I've a few days yet. @GIGA-Man hasn't responded to the page. Turning on the case fan underneath and setting it to Medium speed improves the situation dramatically but I have to put up with the noise of the case fan.

Interestingly, if you put gigabyte rtx 2080 ti noise into Google, this thread comes up on the first page. That can't be good for Gigabyte. Add the word issue and this thread is the top entry.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Natural? I suppose that means no air moving in or out of the case so temps are going to gradually get hotter and hotter,

The FT05 is a vertical case with air input at the bottom, the card mounted vertically, and the air outflow at the top. It makes use of the fact that hot air rises. Plus I don't get GPU sag.

Soldato
OP
I had some time off last week and stayed off all things digital. I will check if this should be happening and get back to you. Sounds like it should not be doing that.

Thanks. The noise isn't as loud now which makes me thing something is rubbing and gradually wearing away. Ironically this makes me more concerned.

What orientation is your card in?

Vertical.

Soldato
OP
Was there ever a solution to this? @GIGA-Man

I never heard from him. I sort of fixed the issue by enabling a case fan beneath the GPU and applying the BIOS update. The GPU fans are now on constantly (1165 RPM) and the card is running at 56C. I've traded the dishwasher sound for the constant noise of the fans. :(

Anyone who tells you that fans are silent is simply not telling the truth. You just need to sit in a quiet room with the PC on.

Soldato
OP
The GPU fans are now on constantly (1165 RPM) and the card is running at 56C. I've traded the dishwasher sound for the constant noise of the fans. :(

I must have caught the GPU at a bad time because the GPU fan is now pulsing as it did before.

ctu.png

I still have the noise of the case fan, though.

Soldato
OP
I have the OC card and I tried to update but it hasn't worked. Aorus Engine reports that I'm still on the F3 BIOS. I tried using the@BIOS utility but the one in the App Centre only sees the motherboard BIOS and the one on your website doesn't see my card. Judging by the description, it's for AMD cards only. Your update utility really should make a backup first, BTW, as nothing else does.

Back
Top Bottom