• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
I ended up getting a Sapphire Nitro 64 in the recent deals with the intention of selling my existing silver reference Vega 64 card. With the free games, quieter and faster running card it went ahead.

I've been noticing a few strange things. For example running the division at 4K, pretty much all settings at Max I was getting around 40 FPS. I tweaked a voltage amount on the P7 core state by 10 units and the FPS was running mid 50s to 60 on the same game with exact same settings in game and no other changes on wattman. The core clock did remain the same too, give or take perhaps 2/4 mhz here or there at 1578. I found that very odd, so will have to do some more investigating as something doesn't add up when getting such a performance boost.

I was also thinking of getting a larger power supply and trying out crossfire too.

Caporegime
I was also thinking of getting a larger power supply and trying out crossfire too.

DON'T!

giphy.gif

:p

Soldato
I ended up getting a Sapphire Nitro 64 in the recent deals with the intention of selling my existing silver reference Vega 64 card. With the free games, quieter and faster running card it went ahead.

I've been noticing a few strange things. For example running the division at 4K, pretty much all settings at Max I was getting around 40 FPS. I tweaked a voltage amount on the P7 core state by 10 units and the FPS was running mid 50s to 60 on the same game with exact same settings in game and no other changes on wattman. The core clock did remain the same too, give or take perhaps 2/4 mhz here or there at 1578. I found that very odd, so will have to do some more investigating as something doesn't add up when getting such a performance boost.

You need to cut 100mv not just 10, overclock HBM to 1050 and raise PL to 40-50%
The performance will jump and the clock also while the card will run cooler.

Associate
You need to cut 100mv not just 10, overclock HBM to 1050 and raise PL to 40-50%
The performance will jump and the clock also while the card will run cooler.

Aye, I've already got that sorted. Just saying while fine tuning I came across that strange anomaly. There was literally a jump in that game of about 15 FPS at 4k just by changing 10 volt units. I'm thinking there must be something else to it.

jpm

jpm

Associate
Finally!!!!!! Got my reference 64 in and have only done a short comparison real quick in SOTTR bench but I'm impressed so far. My Fury X was an ok overclocker so this test I had it at 1140mhz and my vega all I did was undervolt p7 to 1000mv and put the hbm to 1100. Locked it to only use P7 an P3 (hbm) with the oc tool. Core clock stayed in the mid 1500's throughout the bench. I did it about 5 times and it was very very consistent. Temps in the mid 70's with a higher fan profile, but not too terrible with headphones on lol. I'll slap my morpheus 2 on soon, but I think I got a good one :)

Comparison pic attached from overclocked Fury X LE to undervolted reference Vega 64 @ 1440p

edit: finalized on 1033mv for both core / hbm locking p7 to 1630mhz and p3 hbm to 1100mhz. Holds a pretty solid 1573 - 1580 at 99%gpu usage and a peak of around 71 deg. I'll leave it like this until I take the reference blower off this weekend hopefully lol.

Yes my pc is mad max style... function > form :p

AcoccXf.png

I had a nice little performance boost to, going from a i5 7600k and a 1070. Thinking back average fps 60 odd

So I'm happy :)

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Last edited:
Associate
right be of a retarded question coming up! got my vega64 in the black friday sale then had to order a hdmi to mini displayport cable so im just getting round to installing it,so got the 2 8pin power leads but looking at the card there is 2 fan control connectors on the card but no leads in the box

.....do i really need these to be connected as i prob have got a few of them but all my spare pc stuff is stacked away in my cupboard and a nightmare to drag out it's just that i have a really bad back and even slightly over exerting myself can end in me ending up in bed for a couple of days being laid up

dont fancy that for a few strand's of poxy plastic but if i do need will have to order some,just want to have everything at hand so install is as painless as possible

thanks!

Associate
So, Vega 64 owners, what monitor have you paired with your card? What are some of the best FreeSync panels to pair with the 64?
I've got my Nitro+ connected up to a Samsung c34j79 that I got on a very good Black Friday deal for only £450. I've not had too long to play with it yet but the picture is great and I've not had any of the problems reported with the earlier model (flickering etc). Everything is running very nicely with the Vega, Forza Horizon 4 in particular looks extremely good at that res with everything turned up to the max and smooth as anything at 100 fps with FreeSync.

Associate
I wasn’t sure on those connections also, but you don’t need them, it’s not to drive the graphics card fans but actually so the card can run case fans and link their speed to card heat.

So a nice to have depending on your layout, but not actually needed
ah thanks for the reply thought i didnt need them but didnt want to take evrything apart then have to put back together again because i didnt have everything at hand!

Associate
So i had my Vega Nitro+ 64 set to 1040/1000 on the HBM, Core was set P6 1000mv, P7 1000mv, and playing BF5 and BF5 only i would get tons of lockups and even blue screens, tried reinstalling drivers to see if that was the issue and it was still the same.

So i upped the HBM to 1100/1000mv, but i upped the core mv's also, P6 i put at 1100, and P7 at 1040, now i no longer bluescreen, or hard lockup, but i still do crash to desktop fairly frequently... any other game i play is perfectly fine on my original settings (FF14, Grim Dawn being the main 2 i play).

Should i just keep pushing the P7 core mv up to try and stabilise it?

Associate
just installed my sapphire vega 64 nitro + tried a hdmi to mini displayport cable it didnt work came up with the message "no dvi-d cable" then found out the cable is if fact a mini display port to hdmi "non bi-directional" ......so dug out a hdmi to hdmi cable and thought that would work but got the same error message

the monitor is a 4yr old dell ultrawide u2913wm and looking at the spec it should support

hdmi 1.4
display port(input mini)
display port(output mst)
display port 1.2

so i would have thought the hdmi cable i tried should have worked as they are backward compatible i might be wrong though

just getting paranoid the card might not be outputting a video signal ....what do you guys think?

Associate
Hi any tips to this slight issue when I had a nvidia card my monitor would show correctly in Device manager but now under Vega card it shows generic p and p

You probably just need to find and install a monitor driver (which is really nothing but an .inf file that describes the capabilities of your monitor to Windows, any .inf from Windows 7 up and possibly even before that will work fine).

Associate
quick and easy should look like this

2KnIO3B.png

Hey Panos, I tried your settings above and during a firestrike run the card drew a max of 302W and hotspot got to a max of 82 degrees. Default settings were only drawing 240W max. Do I just need to dial down voltage on the card?

Associate
Nowt the matter with Generic, what im on, ive never installed a monitor driver.
You probably just need to find and install a monitor driver (which is really nothing but an .inf file that describes the capabilities of your monitor to Windows, any .inf from Windows 7 up and possibly even before that will work fine).

Thanks guys wasn't sure if there was a issue

Back
Top Bottom