• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
@bigfoot4616 Did you RMA it through Overclockers and if so how easy was it? I've been trying to do the same and at the moment I'm aiming to get the same card as a result of the same issues you are experiencing, but i'm not sure if its worth going for a replacement Gigabyte card first.
just gave overclockers a ring, they emailed me the RMA number and also a returns label for dpd pickup. easy enough. its gone back today. also had to state what i wanted to do and opted for a refund rather than replacement so i can then order the sapphire card. he also claimed that the gigabyte is no worse than any of the others for returns but it doesn't sound that way by reading on here.

Associate
Has anyone with the Sapphire Nitro+ card had any success with the PWM Fan headers on it.

I got some new case fans and was hoping to hook one upto the GPU, but the fan doesn't spin when connected.

I don't know if it's not working or if it's a temperature threshold, but I had the GPU on 65C and the fan still didn't turn on.

And it's not the fan as it works fine plugged into the motherboard.

Associate
Have the opportunity to pick up a one month old Vega 64 for under £300. Purchased from overclockers so would they honour any warranty? Or should I take the gamble? (Currently running a 290x at 1080p @75hz)

Soldato
Have the opportunity to pick up a one month old Vega 64 for under £300. Purchased from overclockers so would they honour any warranty? Or should I take the gamble? (Currently running a 290x at 1080p @75hz)
the warranty almost certainly isn't transferable so you'd be relying on the seller to deal with any issues on your behalf should they arise. what make and model is it?

Soldato
anyone changed the thermal pad on their asus strixx vega64 or fitted a waterblock - never 'repasted' a gpu and not sure if it's just the same process as with a cpu - e.g. a small blob in the middle (though I guess in the case of the vega it's 3 small blobs on the separate 'bits')

Soldato
That's a great deal however you slice it, what card is it?
I would suggest you pay on paypal for good and services then at the very least you are covered by that.

Associate
That's a great deal however you slice it, what card is it?
I would suggest you pay on paypal for good and services then at the very least you are covered by that.
the warranty almost certainly isn't transferable so you'd be relying on the seller to deal with any issues on your behalf should they arise. what make and model is it?
Sapphire Nitro
Strange you say that, as if someone purchased a GPU as a gift, would the warranty still be transferable? Technically the recipient would not be original purchaser, therefore would have no warranty

Associate
anyone changed the thermal pad on their asus strixx vega64 or fitted a waterblock - never 'repasted' a gpu and not sure if it's just the same process as with a cpu - e.g. a small blob in the middle (though I guess in the case of the vega it's 3 small blobs on the separate 'bits')

Not a small blob, a lot of paste is what you need. Particularly if it's a non-molded die you need quite a bit of paste as these dies are not the exact same height (they come in two variants, either 3 really separate dies or with molding in between and around the 3 dies). Not enough paste means your temps will shoot up quickly (been there, done that ... had to take the block off and add more paste, waste of time). And tighten the cooler/block gradually all around so you don't put a lot of uneven pressure on these dies.

For paste application simply apply an "X" of paste on each of the 3 dies using a non-conductive paste; Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is great for this. It would be difficult to overdo it on "too much paste", but there's no need to go crazy either.

Soldato
Not a small blob, a lot of paste is what you need. Particularly if it's a non-molded die you need quite a bit of paste as these dies are not the exact same height (they come in two variants, either 3 really separate dies or with molding in between and around the 3 dies). Not enough paste means your temps will shoot up quickly (been there, done that ... had to take the block off and add more paste, waste of time). And tighten the cooler/block gradually all around so you don't put a lot of uneven pressure on these dies.

For paste application simply apply an "X" of paste on each of the 3 dies using a non-conductive paste; Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is great for this. It would be difficult to overdo it on "too much paste", but there's no need to go crazy either.
I agree with this also, there are 3 variations of die, 1 uneven with no resin, and 2 even , one with resin one without. But it definately needs a good slightly thicker than usual spread of TIM, on my V 56 (uneven no resin) i filled in all the resinless gaps also with paste to keep the hotspot down, it spilled over the edge of the die but kept the whole thing cool as was meant to be.

Soldato

I agree with this also, there are 3 variations of die, 1 uneven with no resin, and 2 even , one with resin one without. But it definately needs a good slightly thicker than usual spread of TIM, on my V 56 (uneven no resin) i filled in all the resinless gaps also with paste to keep the hotspot down, it spilled over the edge of the die but kept the whole thing cool as was meant to be.

cheers for the info.

using a non-conductive paste; Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is great for this

for some reason i thought kryonaut was conductive!

Soldato
Did these variants change over time, ie the first lot of cards would have definitely been of one type and so on? Or is it based more on which board partner you buy?
I'm not really sure, my 56 bought in august 2018 was uneven no resin, the replacement was even no resin (may 2018) and the 64 i have now which was january 2018 manufactured is even and resin....

Soldato

Nope! The warranty stays with the original owner according to OcUK.

I spotted a Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro on Ebay before Christmas that someone had bought and found wouldn't fit their case, they openly admitted that they'd bought it for £399 when they were on offer and were hoping to make some profit as the card had gone back up to £470 I think? ............the card sold for £370, with the game codes! :o

I still to this day cannot understand why they didn't just return it.

Soldato
Strange you say that, as if someone purchased a GPU as a gift, would the warranty still be transferable?
still nope, unless they came to an arrangement with the retailer to have the giftee's details on the purchase invoice. some bricks and mortar shops when you buy something you can ask for a gift receipt which shows no price but allows the person receiving the gift to return the item for a replacement should it be duff/not fit/wrong colour/whatever

Technically the recipient would not be original purchaser, therefore would have no warranty
yup, no warranty unless as above.

Associate
still nope, unless they came to an arrangement with the retailer to have the giftee's details on the purchase invoice. some bricks and mortar shops when you buy something you can ask for a gift receipt which shows no price but allows the person receiving the gift to return the item for a replacement should it be duff/not fit/wrong colour/whatever

yup, no warranty unless as above.
Good theory, but seriously in practice, I doubt a county court would agree. If the item failed within 12 months, and the person who received said gift had a receipt, then I imagine the retailer would lose (all hypothetical of course) any legal action brought against them.

Back
Top Bottom